• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate 7 pots

choc7pot.jpg

choc7.jpg

Ok I ordered 3 yellow 7 pots from
REfining fire chiles.com several months back.

one of them is turning brown. The leaves are also different than the other 2, as well as my chocolate habs.

IS this a Chocolate 7 pot or is it a Chocolate habanero?

I received 2 chocolate habs and the pepper shape is totally different.

These one in the pics are elongated some have a curv to them, and they have the same bottom shape most Trinidad varieties have.

excuse the thai chiles in the background.

looks like chocolate hab. i ordered from refining fire 2 years ago. most of the seeds turned out the way they were supposed to but the savannah 7 hybrid i've been playing with actually turned up in a bag of his yellow 7pod seeds. seems like the isolation isn't going as well as planned for them.

Technically it is a Brown or Chocolate or Cafe or <insert shade of brown here> 7. It is not the same as Judy's Brown 7 or the Chocolate 7 I tried last year. It is most likely an accidental cross that has generated a new brown colored 7 Pot. It may still be delicious but genetically it will be different from the Chocolate and Brown 7's that already exist. That also brings up a good point about what a pain chile naming can be. I'm sure there are may Chocolate 7's out there I have never tried. The two I know about are a 7 x Jamaican Hot Chocolate that MadHatter created and Hippy calls his Douglah strain a Chocolate 7.

looks like chocolate hab. i ordered from refining fire 2 years ago. most of the seeds turned out the way they were supposed to but the savannah 7 hybrid i've been playing with actually turned up in a bag of his yellow 7pod seeds. seems like the isolation isn't going as well as planned for them.

Then It could be as you stated a Savannah 7 hybrid.

How was the Chocolate 7 pot made? was it a mutation or a hybrid?

I'd shoot ya my 2 cents but...
Something tells me habanero500(Jim) is gonna be showing up in less than 12 hours.

Anyone wanna start a wager? :lol:

choc7pot.jpg

choc7.jpg

Ok I ordered 3 yellow 7 pots from
REfining fire chiles.com several months back.

one of them is turning brown. The leaves are also different than the other 2, as well as my chocolate habs.

IS this a Chocolate 7 pot or is it a Chocolate habanero?

I received 2 chocolate habs and the pepper shape is totally different.

These one in the pics are elongated some have a curv to them, and they have the same bottom shape most Trinidad varieties have.

excuse the thai chiles in the background.

First of all you got a refund because some wrong plants got shipped to you. No you did not get Chocolate 7 Pot or Douglah because I did not sell those as plants. What happened here is simple and not a cross-pollination issue. It is a the wrong name tag put in the wrong pot. This tends to happen when you are dealing with 30,000 plants of nursery stock. I still buy plants from Janie at Cross Country Nurseries and I still get wrong plants from her too. When you start growing at my level and are 100% mistake free then give me a call and I will follow what you do.

Then It could be as you stated a Savannah 7 hybrid.

How was the Chocolate 7 pot made? was it a mutation or a hybrid?

So let me ask you NagaNumbness how you do your isolation? I have my plants miles apart. I have photo proof of different isolation areas on my website. Does any other seed seller prove this? How many plants do you grow per variety? Is it ten? Twenty? All Trinidad varieties are Landraces that have crossed back and forth so many times it's crazy. So since they have not been stable for centuries it is possible for them to genetically revert back to something different. I see it all the time because I grow thousands of plants. A lot of people are getting Yellow Bhuts now amongst there Red Bhuts. It's amazing how many of you on here are such experts at Hybrids and new strains when most of you only grow on a backyard level. I am sure you guys are good at growing peppers. But don't assume I am screwing up with Isolation when I am the only seed seller that proves I isolate! I have had seeds from Neal, Pepper Lover, Chile Pepper Institute and Semillas who I all respect come out not pure. Bottom line is this. If your not satisfied I will take care of you. But don't start your little Gossiping about me or others unless you grow at our level. I strive for perfection, but that does not mean I will always get it. But I think when I get an average of 1 complaint out of a few thousand seed and plant orders I am doing something right.

LOL, how did you know?

Well too many people know me now so they E mail me if they see something about me. Thats why I respond so fast. I am way too busy to be a regular participant on here. Much easier to post my pics on FaceBook and my website than to show them off here. And now that Chris Philips, Alabama Jack and Jungle Rain are on FaceBook I am content to interact there. Two good groups that have a lot of chileheads/growers on FaceBook are "chileheads" and "Hot Pepper Growing Society" Any ways all of you have a nice day. I have to get 10,000 plants started for winter crop so busy busy.

So let me ask you NagaNumbness how you do your isolation? I have my plants miles apart. I have photo proof of different isolation areas on my website. Does any other seed seller prove this? How many plants do you grow per variety? Is it ten? Twenty? All Trinidad varieties are Landraces that have crossed back and forth so many times it's crazy. So since they have not been stable for centuries it is possible for them to genetically revert back to something different. I see it all the time because I grow thousands of plants. A lot of people are getting Yellow Bhuts now amongst there Red Bhuts. It's amazing how many of you on here are such experts at Hybrids and new strains when most of you only grow on a backyard level. I am sure you guys are good at growing peppers. But don't assume I am screwing up with Isolation when I am the only seed seller that proves I isolate! I have had seeds from Neal, Pepper Lover, Chile Pepper Institute and Semillas who I all respect come out not pure. Bottom line is this. If your not satisfied I will take care of you. But don't start your little Gossiping about me or others unless you grow at our level. I strive for perfection, but that does not mean I will always get it. But I think when I get an average of 1 complaint out of a few thousand seed and plant orders I am doing something right.

The idea that every pepper seed/plant grows out in any climate to the perfect shape, texture, size, color, and heat of the "model shot" seen from the source they buy/get it from is a very common assumption. I myself had that thought at one point in time. Lots to learn for everybody with a hobby like this.

LOL, how did you know?

I know Jim. :lol:
I wish I had some people throw in some money on that wager! ha!

Agreed! And I find it hilarious that when someone gets something slightly different they think they have a new variety. But I am after consistency but to those that like crosses and new things to play with I guess to each his own.

Hey Jim, have you checked to make sure that there are no other plants within miles of your isolated crop? Even wild ones?

Well too many people know me now so they E mail me if they see something about me. Thats why I respond so fast. I am way too busy to be a regular participant on here. Much easier to post my pics on FaceBook and my website than to show them off here. And now that Chris Philips, Alabama Jack and Jungle Rain are on FaceBook I am content to interact there. Two good groups that have a lot of chileheads/growers on FaceBook are "chileheads" and "Hot Pepper Growing Society" Any ways all of you have a nice day. I have to get 10,000 plants started for winter crop so busy busy.

Have whiteflies made it out to SD yet? if so how do you deal with them?

Have whiteflies made it out to SD yet? if so how do you deal with them?
yes, we have those bastards here too! i have 3 hibiscus that i treat with a "green light tree and shrub systemic" it lasts 6+ months and any hite fly that feeds on it dies and since i have been using it on my non edible plants i have not had any whiteflies, mites and aphids are what have been killing me!

It's amazing how many of you on here are such experts at Hybrids and new strains when most of you only grow on a backyard level.

I am new here, but wow.. kind of attacking/insulting potential customers with a blanket statement is not the best way to gain new ones or for repeat business. I found your information VERY helpful and insightful, but better to share your position without aggression to those that may give you money. Just saying.

I am new here, but wow.. kind of attacking/insulting potential customers with a blanket statement is not the best way to gain new ones or for repeat business. I found your information VERY helpful and insightful, but better to share your position without aggression to those that may give you money. Just saying.

Sorry to come off rude and offend you or others. But it is insulting and rude when people that have an issue with me don't contact me first about a problem but instead start a Gossip on a public Forum and theorize what is going on. Especially when their growing experience is limited to observing smaller amounts of varieties where you will not readily see mutations. Many times on Forums like this and others I see members act as judge and jury. Then when a newbie comes on here they will be easily influenced by what they see and most likely will never buy from me. I always take care of my customers even if it means losing money on a sale. And with all the precautions I take with higher volumes I will make errors.
Jim

Back