• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Diy extract

I'm interested in harvesting extract.From what I have read in the forums here drinking alcohol works the best.
I'm thinking everclear since its 200 proof it bacardi 151.

Then I'm looking at a still
http://www.brewhaus.com/EasyStillSUPFONT-size1TMFONTSUP-Distiller-with-FONT-color336600Glassfont-Collection-Container-P1280C96.aspx

I'm guessing what's left in the chamber is capsaicin extract?
Then I just add more and repeat?

I figure that for a couple of hundred if it works good I'm game.
I'm getting my Christmas bonus in a few weeks.

Although there are those who like it, but I for one stay far away from that stuff!!

Too easy to get into trouble!!

seems there is alot of interest in extract lately, imo best way is with a soxhlet apparatus, which by itself can be had for ~100 bucks. soxhlets are dead simple and very easy to operate provided you are familiar with the rudiments.
ive done this twice using n-hexane and, and it works fantastically. the picture in my avatar is a scoop of this tar like substance. ive got a big bag of dried bih jolokia pods, maby ill go at a third time and document it.

that guys got a ball'n hot stirrer, i just have a crummy hot plate :(

COOL...until he says the seeds contain the most capsaicinoids,....unless of course we are all wrong and he's right, or ...maybe I just think he's wrong there.....or.....

anyways otherwise intersting,hmmmmmm....... :cool:

there are a couple of different ways to extract. I have used everclear for peppers, you can also make a contraction that will allow you to extract with butane as well. Holler at me if you have any questions.

of course that dude probably is a chemist of sort, and I am just a good ole Redneck.... But I can build an extractor for about $7 and have pure oil in a matter of minutes. Prolly not the safest experiment, but it works every time!

I rednecked it a couple of times with butane. The last time i did it i wore extract over my clothes, haven't repeated the experiment yet!

Back