• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Bhut Jolokia Poppers

Am I nuts for wanting to try this? I've always like spicy food but I've only recently become a chilihead. I've only tried a few different peppers and so far I really like the Jolokia. I realize that since it isn't as fleshy as a jalapeno I'll have to come up with a twist on the traditional recipe. Has anybody tried this? Is it to much heat?

No I think you would be ok if you could handle the heat. I mean...you have to scoop out the seeds and membrane to fill it with cheese and also you are going to be cooking it. I think they would bread better because the skin doesn't have that ridiculous shine to it. I say go for it. I'd try one. You might not be able to handle many of them...but I bet they'd taste delicious.

Alright I'll try it!

I love the enthusiasm
dancingpepper.gif
Is that from the complete and udder happiness these poppers will bring to your mouth.........or.........the nervous anxiety that the thought of consuming these hot little devils are going to have you "popping" like a piece of popcorn from the heat! lol Keep us updated P-man
hell.gif

I made Fatalii, Trinidad Scorpion, Red Savina, and Orange Hab poppers one time last month

2 scorps, 4 fatalii, 4 hab, 4 savina, ended up eating both scorps, 2 fatalii's, 2 habs and 2 savinas before the devastation that was my stomach

I do not recommend what I did, as you will cramp, shake, sweat profusely, and about 4 hours after have the worst bathroom experience of your life

I made Fatalii, Trinidad Scorpion, Red Savina, and Orange Hab poppers one time last month

2 scorps, 4 fatalii, 4 hab, 4 savina, ended up eating both scorps, 2 fatalii's, 2 habs and 2 savinas before the devastation that was my stomach

I do not recommend what I did, as you will cramp, shake, sweat profusely, and about 4 hours after have the worst bathroom experience of your life

"Worst" is a matter of perception. I want to try that dish to see. :crazy: :crazy:

physicsman, try a few and report back. A superhot chile cooked and mixed with food will not make you suffer as much as eating them whole and raw. Moderation is the key. I also like the idea of stuffing a Jalapeno with Bhut Jolokia laced cream cheese or chorizo. Then you can eat a whole dozen at once!

I did this about 6 months ago. It was a mild batch but it was very tasty. I guess it all depends on what you are used too but it was a bit more mild than just eating the pepper raw but no worse than crushing up a pepper and putting it in a pint of beer.

Btw first post!

Chorizo.... I heard somebody say chorizo!

Yeah, physicsman, forget the breading/deep fry method. wrap those bad-boys in bacon. wait.
Start with a fatty jalapeño, stuff it with a bhut, then cheese, then wrap in bacon and grill.
Put three on a plate and cover with more cheese (Queso), and crumbled chorizo. Fork and knife it.

No matter how you do it, enjoy it and let us know!

It all depends on you as to how hot it will be. Cooking a few of them in a dish will spread out the oil a lot, making it seem a little less spicy in my experience. I can only eat a few orange habs straight, but if I cook with them I can put in 5-6 and feel like the heat is lacking. We'll see if that changes when I buy some nagas tomorrow.

Discomfort is the understatement of the year! 8 straight hours of spray and pray with much wailing and gnashing of teeth the next day, you and I are all too familiar with.

Sorry for the lateness. Finals and vacation ate up the last 3 weeks :)
I tried baked jalapeno poppers layered with bhut jolokias. They turned out decent though I learned that the only way to make a good popper is to fry em. Baked isnt even close to the same. So next is to try them proper. I have quite a few ripe jolokias on my indoor plant so I might try again soon. :)

btw I've never had much of problem with the morning after. Its noticeable but nothing teeth gritting.

Back