• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shigshwa's Grow Log 2015-2016 (Hydro Grow of Carolina Reapers)

NOTE: Skip to the later pages to see my latest grow. Most of this is a log of my previous grows.

---------------------------------------------------------
I saw quite a lot of grow logs out here, which inspired me to make one myself. I thought that I could also use this as an opportunity to learn from the more experienced growers as well. A bit about me:

1. At this point in time, I'm 16, likely making me one of the younger growers here.
2. Although I like to mess with all things technology, I also like gardening as well
3. This is my first time growing peppers, so I'm hoping that everything goes well!

Now, onto the peppers.

The Story So far

297169_1851179259149_1830801093_1270494_678876191_n.jpg

The peppers, Bhut Jolokia on the right, Butch Ts on the left

312962_1874592724471_1830801093_1287184_631982975_n.jpg

The first sprout, and still my biggest!

380675_1881489016874_1830801093_1291001_1519892892_n.jpg

The peppers, day 3. Some of these were my friends, because he was on vacation. Can't believe they were this small!

313173_1902088171840_1830801093_1305430_723677430_n.jpg

A bit under 2 weeks old, when they were still under my now sold HPS bulb. My first sprout is the one in the big pot.

dsc00225uw.jpg

A bit after the last photo. Now that's growth!

dsc00239nh.jpg

Last image of them, days before being in the tent.

dsc00242zl.jpg

The new grow tent, next to my computer.

379523_1963207419783_1830801093_1331203_196171686_n.jpg

A bit under a month old, just a few days in the new grow tent. I will get a MH system soon...

dsc00241zd.jpg

Taken just now, 1 month 1 day old, few days after the last photo. The growth has EXPLODED ever since they were placed in the tent. The one in the very front is the Bhut, or so I believe, and the other 3 are the Butch Ts, one in the very back being my first sprout.

Thanks guys, one question: Is it possible to tell a Bhut from a Butch T by the leaves, or will I have to wait until they flower to determine this?

Nice start! I know you are in for a looong winter there.
Hope this goes well for you!
Looks like it already is!

Nice start! I know you are in for a looong winter there.
Hope this goes well for you!
Looks like it already is!

Amazingly, it's almost December, and the days still get to be in the 60s... And then out of nowhere, BOOM, -5 degrees. That's Colorado for ya!

Hey shigshwa...... :welcome: ....to the grow seen....... :cool:

Wow, ...16yrs.........could be a "cloning" Science project for next year.............just kiddin..... :lol:

That's great getting involved at a young age, I worked a garden center when I was young, mostly stocking and loading material into cars.

That got me rollin, starting out planting certain flowers then move on to vegetables, and now at 52... I which I can say "It's a Piece of Cake"

to grow, anything.....but even at my young age... :eek: ....I'm still learning and tweeking my process...

Good luck, and maybe you can get somes friends to join in.

Greg

Hey shigshwa...... :welcome: ....to the grow seen....... :cool:

Wow, ...16yrs.........could be a "cloning" Science project for next year.............just kiddin..... :lol:

That's great getting involved at a young age, I worked a garden center when I was young, mostly stocking and loading material into cars.

That got me rollin, starting out planting certain flowers then move on to vegetables, and now at 52... I which I can say "It's a Piece of Cake"

to grow, anything.....but even at my young age... :eek: ....I'm still learning and tweeking my process...

Good luck, and maybe you can get somes friends to join in.

Greg

777th post, how lucky!
Thanks! Everyone now knows me in school for bringing those "insanely hot" peppers for everyone to try. It's gonna be one hell of a school year when I finally get some peppers out of these!

Upgraded to a triple light CFL system. 2 27W 5500k lights to the side, one 42w 2775k in the middle.

391996_1993405934727_1830801093_1344597_1146777717_n.jpg

Looks cool. If your lights aren't putting out too much heat you can move them close.

Looks like your on your way to some nice growth.

Greg

Just under 6 weeks, day 41. Removed the black tray, figured that the reflection of light would be more efficient without it. Also rearranged the pots and rearranged the lights in a triangular formation. Rogue Bhut seedling has also joined the family! Popped out of my Bhut pot, 2 months after planting. If you look hard enough, PLENTY of new shoots popping out of the nodes on my 2 biggest ones

Le quarter is there for reference as well.
dsc00251y.jpg

dsc00253ya.jpg

Week 7, day 48. The CFLs have really promoted new growth on the plants. 50% resize on the images too. Not to mention, my successful Mimosa Pudica clone has joined the family as well! The only thing I'm concerned about is how my big Butch T has some bent and curled leaves. Is there anything wrong?

dsc00255bk.jpg

dsc00256bbh.jpg

New growth is ubiquitous
dsc00257ns.jpg

The leaves appear bent and deformed. Is there anything wrong?
8f40dba69f2e9e7dabc241ac84de374a.gif

A 7 day comparison, in full animation.

I pinch the suckers off on the lower part of the plant till the plant gets a couple feet high, you may wanna ask others what their preference is. I get leaf curl on perfectly healthy plants at times, I heard suckers take energy away from other areas of growth thats why people pinch them.

I pinch the suckers off on the lower part of the plant till the plant gets a couple feet high, you may wanna ask others what their preference is. I get leaf curl on perfectly healthy plants at times, I heard suckers take energy away from other areas of growth thats why people pinch them.

Makes sense. I'll leave them on for the moment though, see what happens.

Nice setup you got there. Mine are going into a tent in a few weeks themselves. It'll be fun to watch your progress so I can see what to expect. What are the dimensions of your tent? Also, are you planning on sticking with CFL through the whole grow?

Nice setup you got there. Mine are going into a tent in a few weeks themselves. It'll be fun to watch your progress so I can see what to expect. What are the dimensions of your tent? Also, are you planning on sticking with CFL through the whole grow?

My tent measures 20x36x63. The CFLs are questionable at this point, for I do not know if they will grow significantly faster with an HID system or not. Pretty much, I don't know if I wanna dish out 250 bucks for a light at this point in time, I still have other things I wanna get!

However, knowing that a 150W HPS light is bright enough to turn my entire room into a campfire, a 400W MH should be blindingly bright in much a small grow area. I guess I'll have no choice but to switch to an HID when they get bushy and tall, but for now, when they can still fit within the effective range of my CFLs, I'll continue to use them.

My tent measures 20x36x63. The CFLs are questionable at this point, for I do not know if they will grow significantly faster with an HID system or not. Pretty much, I don't know if I wanna dish out 250 bucks for a light at this point in time, I still have other things I wanna get!

However, knowing that a 150W HPS light is bright enough to turn my entire room into a campfire, a 400W MH should be blindingly bright in much a small grow area. I guess I'll have no choice but to switch to an HID when they get bushy and tall, but for now, when they can still fit within the effective range of my CFLs, I'll continue to use them.

Hey shigshwa,
The cfl's should do for awhile. You can always add a bunch more, at different lengths some at the top of the plants and the rest varied midway between thru the bottom of the canapy, by the means of 3/wire 16ga. ext cable. I believe AJ (Ronnie)uses a more elaborate system, similar idea. I don't use cfl's but they do make a MH/HPS that mount vertically to be used between plants to penetrate the canapy. I would imagine you could do the same with the cfl's. Less cost in material and energy savings.

The whole idea is to keep your plants stocky and bushy, not tall and wild.

Greg

Question about lighting.

I've got a 70W Metal Halide lamp that does great as far as light output, but doesn't generate enough heat to keep the temps in my tent in the mid 70's. I also have a 250w HPS that does keep the tent warm enough. I know that the HPS is far better suited to flower and fruit with, but will I be able to effectively veg with it, or am I just wasting electricity by using it before I need to?

Question about lighting.

I've got a 70W Metal Halide lamp that does great as far as light output, but doesn't generate enough heat to keep the temps in my tent in the mid 70's. I also have a 250w HPS that does keep the tent warm enough. I know that the HPS is far better suited to flower and fruit with, but will I be able to effectively veg with it, or am I just wasting electricity by using it before I need to?

You can grow using an HPS light, just that they tend to grow leggier than with an MH system. Better yet, I think it's more effective to use the MH and HPS at once, but if power costs are an issue, then the HPS alone is fine. Is your tent in a cold location? My tent hits temps of 80 with ease, since it's in my room, but it'll be lower when I add my ventilation system in.

Back