• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tabasco Peppers

So I grew some tobasco peppers this year and had one the other day. Oddly enough they taste just like the hot sauce does. Blagh. I should have expected this but alas. Much more experimenting needs to be done. Maybe I'll dry and powder them......

Has anyone else tried these?

I love them, but hate picking them....

The ones I grew didn't have a taste of the sauce, they tasted better! A sauce I made last year consisted of a head of garlic, 150 Tabasco peppers and rice Vinegar. Blended it all together and the sauce was gone in a matter of days!

Guitargod I might have to send ya some of my Tabasco hybrid seeds (F2 seeds) As the F1 peppers are very fruity and very hot!

Hmmm. My taste buds could have been off because I tried this at the start of the whole spider bite problem. I'll have to retry them in about a week or two.

I may take you up on that offer Web depending on if I like mine when I retry them. What did you combine it with?

I am very inexperianced in different types of peppers..so far ive learned more in one month on varietys and such that next year ill be growing multiple kinds and that will be one of them...depending I get the seeds lol...Mind you I find no heat to the tabasco sauce but remember as a young kid eating a spoonfull being dared by my brother and finding it just explosive lol

imaguitargod said:
Hmmm. My taste buds could have been off because I tried this at the start of the whole spider bite problem. I'll have to retry them in about a week or two.

I may take you up on that offer Web depending on if I like mine when I retry them. What did you combine it with?

The only one I can think of that it combined with is the cherry pepper. It was an unintentional breed. I was cutting open peppers to take seeds out and one pepper had a single seed in it! I put that aside in it's very own special container. It grew to be

The plant
ripetabascohybridF1.JPG

a comparison of a regular and the F1
tabascocomp1.JPG

imaguitargod said:

What were you doing kissing a spider dude?

I had one Tabasco pepper plant in my garden, and I wasn't that impressed with it. Sure, the peppers were fairly warm, and they did have a taste of tabasco to them, but crikey that's a finicky plant.
I picked a few, then I found some peppers that had a wierd brownish discoloration to them, so rather than risk some sort of infection, I pulled the plant and discarded everything.

I have enough habs and thai dragons to make this year's batch of salsa hot enough that I'll be the only one in my family eating it.

It was an interesting plant to grow, and it was nice to look at, but I don't think I'll be growing it again next year.

Hello guys, new here... my question to Web of Hair is what makes you believe that the two strains have been crossed? There is absolutely no visual evidence of a hybrid that I can see, especially if the pollen donor was the cherry pepper you'd see that in the shape, but the two are identical.

By the way, I'm looking for an authentic source of Tabasco pepper seeds, what do you guys recommend? I would like to have the actual McIlhenny pepper if at all possible... I'm looking for the same flavor, love it, but can't stand the vinegar in the bottled sauce... that's why I want to grow my own Tabasco peppers.

Thanks in advance!

Skydiver said:
I had one Tabasco pepper plant in my garden, and I wasn't that impressed with it. Sure, the peppers were fairly warm, and they did have a taste of tabasco to them, but crikey that's a finicky plant.
I picked a few, then I found some peppers that had a wierd brownish discoloration to them, so rather than risk some sort of infection, I pulled the plant and discarded everything..

Yeah I have one outside this year, myself. Noticed it needs more water then other peppers I have. Mine always wilted in the sun, finally got it to take of, but now it’s to late. Got the damn thing at Wal-Mart, was one of those Bonnie plants, I come to find out they are notorious for having aphids. That will teach me. Errrrrrrrrrrr, lol….
:)

LeatherMouth...1st of all, welcome to the site! I have seen Tabasco peppers in nurserys with the McIlhenny label on the identifier tab. They go for a premium, but they are available.

Scarecrow-- All of my peppers (except for a few) are Bonnie plants including my Tabasco. I haven't had any growing issues with them, except for some of those evil tomato worms. My Tabasco plant is the tallest, most prolific of the crop. The only problem is waiting for the peppers to get ripe. They seem to be stuck on bright yellow/white. I've only had about 4 peppers get red for me so far and I have to say that there about 100 or more peppers on that plant.

I didn't have any problems when I grew Tabasco peppers, either. They were very tall, very hardy plants that had literally hundreds of pods at a time on them. My only complaint was that the peppers don't hold well when ripe. They were ripe one day, and over ripe the next. I didn't always have time to process the peppers, so a lot of them were wasted.

I have 2 tobasco pepper plants that are at least 4 foot tall and are loaded with peppers. We here were victims of mother nature going haywire with the rain this year. Didn't faze the tobascos. Cayenne, weak. Jalapeno. Weak.

Back