• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2011/2012 Grow log....

Over the coming days I will be attempting to log my grow so far.

It won't be as big and spectacular as most peoples here (in fact it isn't big or spectacular) but I am proud of what I have done so far with my very limited space and love my chilli's (I am sure) as much as the next person.

I have had a few small problems so far but a Massive thank you has to go out for the help so far from people like Nova, Gas, JR, Micca, Wildfire in helping me get started on growing something other then long red cayennes or other common types and answering my many questions and the generous man JR with his huge contribution to my seed stocks.

Like I said this will be an ongoing process to get this thread up to speed so bear with me while I populate the pages over the coming days ...

Can't wait, Trips, and looking forward to it! :dance:

(Which reminds me.... it's probably time I get off my butt and start my own grow log too! :lol:)

I suppose I should start off by listing my varieties (that are either currently growing or are currently being attempted to be germinated

Aji Lemon
Chocolate Bhut
Yellow 7 pot/pod
Numex Twilight
Hot Cherry - None Germinated as yet
Bonda Ma Jacques
Super Chilli
Black Prince
Explosive Ember
Ball Chilli - None Germinated as yet
Purple Tiger
Burkina - None Germinated as yet
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T.
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Fataali - None Germinated as yet
Pimenta De Neyde
Hot Fish
Blondie
Bhut Jolokia Assam
7 pot/pod Jonah
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero White Bullet
NTR's
Corno Di Torro Rosso
Bishops Crown
Goats Weed
Bulgarian Carrot - None Germinated as yet
Tobago Seasoning - None Germinated as yet
Douglah - None Germinated as yet
RHF-1 - None Germinated as yet
Birdseye HTM
Jalapeno HTM
Orange Latern -
Dedo De Moca -
Po Cheong
Wild Brazil
Trinidad Bean
Purple Flash

I think that is the lot so far ... seems to get extended every month ... :lol:

My Initial starts were sorted late in June (Our SH Winter) and consisted of a few varieties from THSC

IMG_20110717_111740.jpg

I think my initial ones were Numex Twilight, Aji Lemon, Super Chilli, Yellow 7 pot/pod, Black Prince, Cheiro Do Norte and Bonda Ma Jacques and I think that was it

IMG_20110717_111839.jpg

My Super Chilli as a baby

IMG_20110717_111928.jpg

One of my 2 Aji Lemon's (one of which I have just given away as a fully producing plant with ripe pods today to a friend actually who was stoked)

All were started initially in Jiffy pellets in a small plastic window-sill greenhouse indoors... didn't have the best luck to be honest first up with a lack of constant warm temps ruining my germination percentages

Hey Trippa,

Way to go with your own grow log... :) ....I like your list, you have a good mix. Even though the photos were taking earlier, they've gotten off to a wonderful start.
Keep posting photos here when you can, it makes it interesting to see other growers plant and pod variations, especially from different parts of the globe

Good luck,

Greg

One of my 2 Aji Lemon's (one of which I have just given away as a fully producing plant with ripe pods today to a friend actually who was stoked)
Aji Lemons are awesome... they just bang when it comes to production, don't they?

What did ya think of the taste?

Aji Lemons are awesome... they just bang when it comes to production, don't they?

What did ya think of the taste?

Yeah they have been pumping out chillis for a few weeks now and I love the taste especially with white meats (like fish or pork) and salad.

I should add my grow is entirely organic and completely container grown plants as I only have a couple of balconies where they are able to be grown.
I am using a certified organic store brought potting mix call amgrow organix potting mix (messed up the description I think) , and a 2 types of soil amendments Searles 5in 1 plus (also contains worm castings which it fails to mention) and organic link.

This seems to hold the water very well but also seems to drain freely so I have used this mix from the start of my grow. I started out with Jiffy pots for the early starts but soon saw how useless they are and switched to simple plastic containers after my first few plants faltered a little in the Jiffy pots.

the first ones went outside roughly at 1 month of age at the end of July
IMG_20110731_104711.jpg

IMG_20110805_095737.jpg

Super Chilli

IMG_20110805_100346.jpg

Early days of my first real growing season

IMG_20110805_100211.jpg

Aji Lemon

After some initial early slower growth for some varieties/plants which I narrowed down to a couple of things :

Firstly: the Jiffy Pots really are not good for chilli plants in my opinion. After growing 2 of the same strain (1 in a Jiffy Pot and 1 in a plastic pot) for comparison sake I will never look at growing anything in a jiffy pot again. They also seemed to stay a really light green colour despite being in the exact same medium and getting fed and watered identically

Secondly: I realised that it was much better to let the seedlings become much bigger in the jiffy pellets (with extensive roots coming out of them) with some light foliar feeding with seasol before placing them in pots which seemed to really enhance the early growth

A few of my plants are still recovering/are behind where they should be due to my errors at the start (namely my trinidad scorpion Butch T, 7 pot/pod Jonahs, and Scotch Bonnett TFM's)

Here they are as they became a little larger (Mid/end of August) and my family started to grow a little more with some newer varieties added every few weeks

IMG_20110820_172537.jpg

IMG_20110820_172418.jpg

IMG_20110827_145544.jpg

IMG_20110827_145642.jpg

Aji Lemon

IMG_20110827_150629.jpg

Super Chilli

Almost a Month later and my family had grown more still and I had finally ironed out a few kinks which were slowing some of the plants down. I had my soil mixture sorted out and my feeding regime a little more controlled not to mention some warmer weather to get the growth going a bit and finally some pods forming:

IMG_20110924_110357.jpg

Aji Lemon Flower

IMG_20110924_110518.jpg

Super Chilli Flowers and Pods

IMG_20110924_110146.jpg

Older members of the ever growing chilli family

IMG_20110924_110106.jpg

Younger members

IMG_20110924_110728.jpg

From Left to right (foreground) Bonda Ma Jacques (one of 2) Explosive Ember and Pimenta De Neyde

Another Month on (early November) and things had been going fairly well aside from having a few issues with some fungus gnats (not that bothersome to me due to the fact they were likely feeding on the organic soil rather then my plant roots)which I kept in check with a small soil application of eco-neem. I had continued to get more new pods, plants were all continuing at an ok rate some much better then others but all in all I was fairly happy with how things were progressing. One small misfortune had been a rogue Bishops crown seed (through no fault of my own...long story) getting planted as a Yellow 7 pot/pod and me continuing to believe it was until GAS kindly pointed out my rogue Bishop.

IMG_20111101_174235.jpg

Aji Lemon

IMG_20111101_174224.jpg

Numex Twilight

IMG_20111101_173732.jpg

Family

IMG_20111101_174046.jpg

Black Prince

IMG_20111101_173742.jpg

Super Chilli and Numex Twilight

IMG_20111101_173907.jpg

Rogue Bishop

IMG_20111101_174039.jpg

Explosive Ember

IMG_20111101_173943.jpg

Bonda Ma Jacques Baby pods

IMG_20111102_103809.jpg

My Home made pots for tansplanting from 9-10 litre buckets and a hot glue gun to melt the holes

Well my rogue Bishop (from the yellow 7 pot/pod seeds a couple of weeks (20-24th Nov) on confused me even more by having some pods start throwing out little horns/points/bumps which I knew was unusual for this type of pod/plant

It continued to grow and pump out a great amount of flowers/pods though (and I had another Actual yellow 7pot/pod from the same batch of seeds growing so it didn't matter at all in terms of lacking a variety of chilli)

Also One of my most anticipated plants/pods was coming along nicely one of my Bonda Ma Jacques plants was coming along very nicely

IMG_20111118_124635.jpg

Rogue Bishop Bumps

IMG_20111118_124608.jpg

More Rogue Bishop Bumps

IMG_20111118_142454.jpg

Rogue Bishop Flower

IMG_20111118_142425.jpg

Rogue Bishop Plant

IMG_20111120_150348.jpg

Bonda Ma Jacques Pod

Well we are up to date now due to a quick run down on my past few months growing. (I still have new many new varieties I am attempting to germinate as we speak so the fun is only just beginning for me)

I have been eating super chilli, Numex Twilight, Aji Lemon and Explosive ember pods for the past few weeks as they ripen.

I have given Away 2 fully pod producing plants (One Bonda Ma Jacques not ripe yet and One Aji lemon which had mature pods) to a good friend. More are coming his way over the coming months.

I have had my first (Actual) Yellow 7 pot/pod pods set and I just tonight tried my first ever Bonda Ma Jacques !!!! :dance: :woohoo:

I had never tried anything like it and I must say I was mightily impressed by the flavour, heat and appearance of it. (It is now officially my favourite chilli I think until something else comes along)

It was also probably the hottest chilli I have tried to date fresh (probably not saying much to you hardened super hot freaks :lol: ). I tried a large chunk fresh by itself and must say the heat and flavour was great (if not a little overwhelming for a little while)

I then diced the entire remaining pod into my thai chicken dish and ate the lot along with a nice chilled Sav. Blanc and I am still feeling a great glow from it.

IMG_20111201_190302.jpg

IMG_20111201_191118.jpg

I have kept the seeds and should have some of them plus some birdseye HTM and Aji Lemon seeds for trade very soon.

I will update again in the coming days with some new improved pictures.

Until then happy growing/eating/sweating enjoying life

Cheers
Trippa

Hey Trippa,

Pods galore.!...on your plants. I like the view of the deck, is that off your balcony?

Greg

Hey Trippa,

Pods galore.!...on your plants. I like the view of the deck, is that off your balcony?

Greg

Hi Greg... thanks for the comments although I wouldn't say pods galore just yet ... its a work in progress :lol:
Yeah view of the neighbours deck which I wish I had for my chillis :hell:

Just a quick update for today while I think about it with some pics of my latest pods my Yellow 7 pot/pods

IMG_20111202_175807.jpg

IMG_20111202_175758.jpg

They seem to be developing nicely so far I just don't have too many of them as yet

Any Idea what this may be??

It is only affecting my Choc Hab plant and hasn't spread to any others (which are all very close by except maybe my cheiro do Norte which may/may not have a tiny bit of this appearing hard to tell)

IMG_20111129_202743.jpg

IMG_20111129_202800.jpg

Underside of the lower leaves seem to only be affected at this stage (although the tops show dark areas they never actually rupture or do anything else and the plant seems to continue to grow at a good rate and is now producing flowers )

It has had these weird dark spots for 2-3 months probably but they never seem to do much but spread up the plant as it gets taller but it never afflicts the top growth ??

The dark spots are not raised or weepy or anything of the sort and the leaf may look in rough shape but I put the rips in it trying to see a cross section of the dark areas.

Any thoughts could this be some form of Rust or sooty mould??

Any help would be much appreciated, I have seperated it today from the rest of the plants by a metre or so just in case.

Back