• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

RocketMan's Red Beans and Rice

The recipe was originally given to me by the father of a girlfriend I had in college. They lived a bit south of New Orleans and to get to the house involved parking the car and getting into the pirogue and Poling a little ways out into the Bayou. I’ve changed it only enough to add a bit more heat to it cus I loves it that way.

2 Packages Light Kidney Beans
2 Packages Andouille or Kilbasa Sausage
2 Red Bell Peppers
2 Green Bell Peppers
2 Medium Onions
4 Stalks Celery
4 Large Jalapenos
4 Nice Serranos
2 Habaneros
6 Large Cloves Garlic
4 Tbs Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (amount is approximate as it's more by feel)
4 Cups Long Grain Rice

Put beans into a large pot and rinse/clean beans. Then fill the pot with warm water and allow beans to soak for 2 hours then put the pot into the fridge till morning. When you get up in the morning before you do any thing else get the beans out and drain water. Add fresh water to 1 knuckle above the beans then place on to the stove on medium low heat. Cook beans 3 hours or till done.

When the beans are done dice the peppers, celery and onions and cut the sausages into bite size pieces. Pre-heat a big cast iron pot and add EVOO twice around. Add the peppers, celery, onions and garlic and saute till onions are translucent. Add the sausage and saute another 10 minutes. Add the beans, place on low heat and cook till ready to serve or at least 5 hours.

Serve in a big bowl over white rice. This recipe will serve 5 Cajuns or 20 anybody else.

Bon Appetit Mes Amis,
RM

RM -

It looks like a fantastic recipe.. The only problem would be my wife would kill me if I added the hot peppers. It's terrible to be in such a predicament but that's what hot sauce and powder is for.....

Thanks,

Bob

We have a 3 little bowls of extras when serving beans, 1 with cut-up green onions, one with grilled jalapenos, and one with piping-hot crumbled homemade HOT sausage, for those who want some extras to sprinkle on their beans, You know what else ain't bad with beans? Roasted garlic and red sweet peppers sizzling, covered in extra virgin olive oil, served with hot little french breads to dip with! That garlic-n-pepper infused oil on that warm bread..... Con ya!

Bigoledude glad you bumped such and old thread or I wouldn’t have seen it, thus I won’t be calling you a thread necromancer ;)

Bill excellent recipe!!! I love rice & peas in many different styles :) ... only wish you had included pics and who is that cool chick that lives in da Bayou ...

Hell yeah, glad for the bump too. This seems like a good recipe. I'm thunkin Ima have at this tonight! Except of course with canned beans, as I am not prepared with dried ones.

Back