• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

bottling in beer bottles

I just made my first hot sauce from an abundance of hot peppers in the garden. I am a home brewer so i have many beer bottles around that i would like to use. What would be a safe way to use them. Would just capping them work?

Well....I guess it depends on the type of bottle you're using. If you use the metal caps, it's a one time deal. If you have the Grolsh style caps that can reseal after opening, then it would be easier to keep the unused portion of your sauce fresher for a longer period of time.

i can always recork I shoulda rephrased this better but do i need to go threw the canning procedures if i were to bottle in beer bottles.

The bottles do need to be sealed after filling. Just go through the same procedure that you would when bottling your beer (sterilize the bottles) and you should be fine.

Are you going to use real cork on the bottles? If so, that would be really cool. You still might want to get some heat shrink to seal everything up while the cork does it's swelling. It'll also keep out the little nasties from getting into the cork.

Back