• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fancy new drought irrigation system

Takes 2 - 3 weeks to drain out 2 litres of water & spreads out enough underground (at the roots) to water a 2' radius...so should keep 4 plants happy. {Dependant on soil type}

Prediction is that we're in for a hot, dry summer. Oh good.

How does it work? Do you have hosing or something under the ground connected to the bottles, or did you just put a hole in the lid?

For what it's worth, I think we're going to get decent rain this summer. Just a feeling...

No lid, no hose just bury the full bottle few inches down& the dirt clogs up the hole. After a day or 2 the bottle starts to vacuum in through the heat of the day & breathe out again (drop some water) at night.

BobsYourUncle said:
For what it's worth, I think we're going to get decent rain this summer. Just a feeling...

Is that the tea leaves, chicken entrails, tinfoil hat or dodgy knee feeling?

Seriously though, what makes you think that?

bentalphanerd said:
Takes 2 - 3 weeks to drain out 2 litres of water & spreads out enough underground (at the roots) to water a 2' radius...so should keep 4 plants happy. {Dependant on soil type}

And it really works? How do you get the bottles into the soil without a bunch of the water pouring out?

Prediction is that we're in for a hot, dry summer. Oh good.

So, I think it's high time you Australian chileheads get together, take off all your clothes, smear yourself with natural pigments, and perform a wild and unfettered rain dance.

And take lots of pictures.

And post them.

Pam said:
And it really works? How do you get the bottles into the soil without a bunch of the water pouring out?

Dig the hole first & hold your finger over it...backfill fast. Its all very technical :lol:

Pam said:
So, I think it's high time you Australian chileheads get together, take off all your clothes, smear yourself with natural pigments, and perform a wild and unfettered rain dance.
Each & every night Pam but to no avail. I spend a lot of each day out in the garden screaming that Thor is a skirt wearing pussy...but nothing. He must be scared.

Pam said:
And post them.

Can't do...cameras steal our soul

Byron Bay Chilli Festival is w/end after next....should be more than a few good pics coming from this side of the pacific.

You going to make it to that Bobs?

bentalphanerd said:
Each & every night Pam but to no avail.

Oh yeah? And what was your address again?

I spend a lot of each day out in the garden screaming that Thor is a skirt wearing pussy...but nothing. He must be scared.

Well, you're cursing the wrong god. Plus, that's a pretty boring insult. Freyr is the Norse god of sun and rain and bountiful harvests. And he's like, king of the fairies, so calling him a skirt wearing pussy is more like a compliment.

So, perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, of course; but perhaps if you bellowed something along the lines of "Freyr, ye bandy-legged gugusse, I see ye fleeing the fire giant Surt with a stream of urine trickling down yer leg! By the gelid nutsacks of Aegir, will ye nay stand like a man and quench this thirsty land?" you might get better results.

Just a suggestion...

Can't do...cameras steal our soul

Well, do you want more women to post here or not?

bentalphanerd said:
Are you still growing those Bolivian Rainbows Bob?

Yep, sure am, why's that?

bentalphanerd said:
Byron Bay Chilli Festival is w/end after next....should be more than a few good pics coming from this side of the pacific.

You going to make it to that Bobs?

Nah, I've got other plans unfortunately, would be a good weekend I reckon. Been before?

Pam said:

And post them.

I don't know if this forum could handle something THAT hot :lol:

Bobs I was thinking of trying something like those Bolivian Rainbows this year. If you have a few spare seeds that'd be great.

Haven't been to the Byron Festival before, but I can see myself becoming a regular.

Pam What can I say?...Norse king of the fairies huh ...nutsacks ahuh ?? LMAO ....smeared with natural pigments....I'm sure theres a few other sites on the www where you can get those pictures. I wont speak too soon though, next w/end on the beach at Byron Bay, a bottle of whiskey and a fresh Naga or two....anythings possible.

bentalphanerd said:
Bobs I was thinking of trying something like those Bolivian Rainbows this year. If you have a few spare seeds that'd be great.

I think I've only got about 6 seeds left, but you're welcome to them. I've had very good germination rates with them (something close to 100%) so you should get a few plants. I'll post them on monday.

Back to topic

It works,but in an other way.Dig in the bottles if the soil is wet.So there is enough water in the ground.So what happens? The texture of the soil is very thight.When the soil dries,there comes air in it,also air in the bottle.So water can escape...so long till the soil is wet.The wet texture closes the bottle.
I hope you get it,what I want to say?

Thats about it Phil. It keeps an equilibrium of moisture there, and being under the surface it doesn't lose much through evaporation.
I had it wrong in post #3 - The ground tries to suck out more during the heat of the day, but the bottle actually loses less then. The air pressure in the bottle increases reducing the flow and the bottle sucks in.

Trying to think of something simple to attach to the base of the bottle {the bit thats now the top} - so I can refill without digging them up each time. Have to be something that can hold whatever pressure that is in there, or the water will just pour out.
Any ideas?

BobsYourUncle said:
I think I've only got about 6 seeds left, but you're welcome to them. I've had very good germination rates with them (something close to 100%) so you should get a few plants. I'll post them on monday.

Cheers Bob. Thats my Christmas shopping done :lol: If you ever need seeds back just gimme a yell.

Hmm,when you cut away the bottom of two bottles and tape them together? That should work.You dig one end in and can refil it.

Back