• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

overwintering for 2012

check out the 8 plants i am currently trying to overwinter and so far everything looks good.
i cut them back drastically, pruned the roots, sealed the cutting surfaces with wax and repottet them in small pots
and put them directly to my glass door. let's see if i can keep them alive until next year !

overwinternov2.jpg

overwinternov.jpg

:onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Nice "green" growth,........ :) what varieties are you working with?

You may at some point want to prune back the tops of your branches to encourage lower growth. That will help keep your plant more compact. It's easier to introduce a stockier size plant to the winds and other elements when brought outdoors. You'll have less urgency for early staking and you'll end up with fewer branch cracks that way. Potting up soon will also help with your growth.
Good luck.......Overwintering is a fun and encouraging project!

Greg

Ummmmmm whats in the shot glasses? Tequila to keep them happy over the winter? LOL

vinegar mixed with a bit of dishsoap as a fruitfly trap which seem to like to invade the soil,
the vinegar attrackts them, the dishsoap kills the suface friction and upon landing they down :cool:

Nice "green" growth,........ :) what varieties are you working with?

various habaneros, a lemondrop, some annuums.

You may at some point want to prune back the tops of your branches to encourage lower growth. That will help keep your plant more compact. It's easier to introduce a stockier size plant to the winds and other elements when brought outdoors. You'll have less urgency for early staking and you'll end up with fewer branch cracks that way. Potting up soon will also help with your growth.
Good luck.......Overwintering is a fun and encouraging project!

Greg

pruning the branches, hmm, i do not know. basically just cutting them back again is what you suggest ?

vinegar mixed with a bit of dishsoap as a fruitfly trap which seem to like to invade the soil,
the vinegar attrackts them, the dishsoap kills the suface friction and upon landing they down :cool:

various habaneros, a lemondrop, some annuums.

pruning the branches, hmm, i do not know. basically just cutting them back again is what you suggest ?

Pinching or cutting the new growth helps promote lower growth. When you pinch, you actually divide the growing segments. By removing one leaf set you'll force the plant into producing two new sets. You can actually shape
your plants by doing so.
You do have the option to cut back, if the plants get out of control and its too early to plant out.
Check out "Pepper- Guru's" thread at the top of this page. He has alot of expierence and knowledge on this topic.

I brought in some plants to overwinter, and I've been pinching off any new growth. The month of May is when I can plant out, but as of Dec 1st I've decided to let my plants run the course. It still may be early for me but I entend to shape the plants as they grow...

Greg

That's a good idea laying a trap like that. A few gnats or fruit flies are normal in most househoulds, but keep an eye on their population. If they continue to burrow in your soil despite your vinegar, you'll get big increase in numbers. It can really get bad over the course of the winter.

Otherwise, looks good, but I'd also give them a haircut. Good luck.... :cool:

of course you wouldnt get any problems by over wintering your plants.
the plants that hibernates in my house stay alive for years :dance:

when will you come to Vienna man?
i gonna finnish my study soon that means more freetime :beer:

will it hurt daddy ? naaaaaah chillax ;)

hairdressingdez.jpg

of course you wouldnt get any problems by over wintering your plants.
the plants that hibernates in my house stay alive for years :dance:

when will you come to Vienna man?
i gonna finnish my study soon that means more freetime :beer:

im in vienna all the time, like every other month !

Back