• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Duo December Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Full rules above. Details below.

Pick a protein to be prepared two ways. You must start with the exact same ingredient, do not buy two different ones. For example don't choose beef, and buy a steak and ground beef. If you want to do a steak and a burger buy two steaks and grind the meat of one... get it? Buy any protein to start with, enough to section into two, or buy two. Then, prepare two different ways, on a plate. You may choose to do a side dish, but only one, that must go with both preparations. Do not add extra sides this is all about harmony. The Duo must go together, as well as the side, for each. It's one meal not two.

I can see questions like, if you buy a whole chicken, can you use breast for one and legs for the other. Stick to the exact cuts. If you buy a whole chicken you can use half one way and half another, or the breasts one way and another... okay? So no leftover mis-matched cuts. This is a challenge. Start with the same exact ingredient for both.

At least one half of the Duo must be spicy.

Must all be on one plate.

PoL = .65

Deadline Sunday 10 pm EST.

Begin!

pshh I work all weekend

only way I am doing the TD is if I happen to wake up tomorrow at like 1 or 2pm, and whip something together from scratch from whatever I have in my house

proteins I have are, eggs, chicken, salmon, bison

but I have like nothing to go with any of them except tater tots, pasta, potatoes, rice

i dont even have like any veggies other than mushrooms

im moving soon man, not gonna go to the grocery store for shit when I cant bring it with me

pshh I work all weekend

only way I am doing the TD is if I happen to wake up tomorrow at like 1 or 2pm, and whip something together from scratch from whatever I have in my house

but I have like nothing to go with any of them except tater tots, pasta, potatoes, rice

i dont even have like any veggies other than mushrooms

im moving soon man, not gonna go to the grocery store for shit when I cant bring it with me

Take and mash totz on top of a piece of salmon and bake for a totz crusted salmon. Egg wash and fry the other piece of salmon. Takes about 30 minutes tops. Shoot pics. Drink heavily. Pau.

Damn, where did November go? I can't believe its December already (I think partly because its been really warm in New York the past month) and only a few weeks from Christmas. I'm going to have to head back to the store and find something to whip up for this.

Bison Shephard's Pie:
Mash the potatoes, brown the ground bison with spices, add some heat. Layer the bison, then the mashers, scallop the top, bake, boom a version of shepherd's pie.
Next...
Deconstructed Bison Shepard's Pie:
Bison meat balls. Ground bison, spices, eggs as a binder, cook, served with tater tots.

Make some special hot sauce that goes well over both, serve on one plate. Done.
Haha.

December throwdown PoL:
PoL2.jpg

PoL1.jpg

So V-Ray is serious... awesome! Glad you're taking all the ribbing, and Shitalky smakin'! That's what makes it fun. Good luck and I'm glad you'r partipitatin'.

:end nicy-niceness:

You're goin down with yer vegimite paste...

Nice start, VRay! But, you know, you might need to give a little "what is a non-meat protein" lesson for peeps like Scovie...... :lol:

Oh...HE knows!!!! I was a vegetarian for 7 years! I still suspect that's half the reason we moved to cow-country!!! :rofl:

VRay...I'm sooooo intrigued by your meal! Can't wait to see it, and get more details on the prep! I could never go vegan full time, but I'm always up for great flavor!
You show your stuff this weekend, and kudos on the moxie! Keep us on our toes! ;)

Teaser #1 - house-made ingredients from my pantry:
teaser0.jpg

(1) Smoked Garlic Confit
smoked garlic cloves, peeled & whole
extra-virgin olive oil
dried bay leaves, whole
dried cayenne chiles, whole

Place garlic in a small saucepan and cover completely with oil. Cover. Simmer on the absolutely lowest flame on your stove for 8 hours.
Place a bay leaf and a couple of chiles in each sterilized pint jar. Fill with garlic mixture, making sure that garlic cloves are completely covered in oil. Lid.

(2) Scorpion Harissa
dried bird dung chiles, whole
fresh Trinidad Scorpion chiles, minced
fresh shallots, finely chopped
black cumin seed, toasted
coriander seed, toasted
dried sumac berries, ground
kosher salt

Remove the stems and seeds from the dried chiles. Soak in cold water for 20 minutes; drain.
Place chiles, garlic, black cumin, coriander, sumac, and salt in a food processor; pulse until smooth.
Pack into sterilized pint jars, process, and lid.

(3) Turnip Pickles
water
distilled white vinegar
pickling salt
fresh turnips, halved and sliced
fresh beet, cubed
fresh garlic cloves, peeled & halved

Bring water, vinegar, and salt to a boil.
Layer turnips, beets, garlic, and chiles in sterilized quart jars. Add hot liquid until it completely covers them.
Lid and let stand for at least one month.

(4) Jalapeno-Lemon Hot Sauce
fresh jalapeno chiles, quartered
sugar
pickling salt
balsamic vinegar
fresh lemon juice
fresh orange juice
fresh garlic cloves, peeled & whole
fresh cilantro, roughly torn
green food coloring

In a non-reactive bowl, combine chiles, sugar, salt, and vinegar. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight or for up to two weeks.
Transfer mixture to a large stockpot. Add lemon juice, orange juice, and garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes. Add cilantro.
Transfer to a Vitamix and blend on highest speed until completely liquefied, adding food coloring as necessary to achieve desired color.

(5) Datil-Corn Relish
champagne vinegar
sugar
pickling salt
dry mustard, ground
turmeric, ground
celery seed
fresh whole kernel corn
fresh Vidalia onion, diced
fresh sweet Italian pepper, diced
fresh datil chiles, finely chopped

Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard, turmeric, and celery seed in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat.
Add the corn, onion, and sweet pepper, and chiles. Simmer for 4 minutes.
Pack into sterilized quart jars, process, lid, and let stand for at least two weeks.

(6) Canned Diced Roma Tomatoes

Ohhhhhhhhhh I'm turning vegan!

"dried bird dung chiles, whole"

Chiltepins right?

"dried bird dung chiles, whole"

Chiltepins right?
http://www.chileplants.com/search.asp?ProductCode=CHIBID&SizeID=&ChileForm=&SearchMode=simple&LengthID=&WidthID=&HeightID=&OrientationID=&FoliageID=&FleshID=&UseID=&Color=&Location=&Keyword=dung&HeatID=&TypeID=&DeterminancyID=&CategoryID=1&SeasonID=&NewProduct=&Letter=&SearchButton=Pressed

I'll bet many of your friends suspected you were inwardly vegan all along.
Your family will be shocked to hear the news, your father might shed a tear.
But, ultimately, you will be happy with your decision to share that news with us, and I respect you for that, though I am not a vegan myself.

Best of luck with your new lifestyle.

BTW, ray, that has some promise!!!
You have a lot of cool homemade concoctions!!!!
Glad you're in the race.

Put it this way... when the taco bar is open, I eat, and eat, and eat... :beer:

You in this one LB?

Yeah...I have an idea. It's not outside the box, so to speak, but I think it'll hold its own. I'll be following my normal mantra...of trying to make something I've never made before.

Here's what I'm working with. I'm going real low budget this time. I forgot to put fresh ginger and thai green chile paste into the picture too. Check out the size of those habaneros that I got from the grocery store. They're almost half the size of the lime I bought!

IMG_7223.jpg

Here's my copilot tonight! I'm going to see if I can get this food made before that 9.5% tripel ale puts me to sleep.

IMG_7227.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back