• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Spiedie marinade

Not sure which subforum is the best place for this...

Hailing from Binghamton, NY, I grew up with a culinary oddity known as the spiedie (pronounced spee-dee); basically, a glorified shish kebab of meat cubes (traditionally lamb, but chicken and even game seems to be popular with the locals) with a "special" marinade, usually served on a slice of italian bread as one might use a hot dog bun. Typically wooden skewers are used.

Oddly, I've been craving these lately, which is strange because I never much cared for them- I always found them to be a bit bland and dry (but then, my dad usually used metal skewers). I was thinking I might tweak the recipe by adding a healthy amount of pepper flakes to give it that extra something, but traditionally there is little to no pepper used in the marinade. I found this recipe online as a Spiedie Fest cookoff entry (yes, we actually have a festival devoted to them. *shrug*), and while it includes pepper, I figured the community might be able to offer their input as to which pepper varieties might pair best with the other ingredients, as crushed red pepper is decidedly nondescript.

(Disclaimer: I have not tried to make this yet. There are hundreds of variations on the basic marinade, but this is more or less the standard, minus the crushed red pepper... though personally I would up the garlic)

5 lbs chicken, cubed

2 cups olive oil
1/2 cup distilled vinegar (traditionally cider)
juice of 2 lemons
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons sweet basil
4 tablespoons oregano
6 mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Marinate for three days

I'm also from the Binghamton area; spiedies are definitely awesome. If the area was more heavily populated, I think they'd be as well known nationally as philly cheesesteaks and chicago deep dish pizza. That recipe is pretty much how I make my marinade, although I usually don't use mint, add more vinegar, give it a splash of red zinfandel, and only marinate them for 1-3 hours (I'm not a fan of how rubbery they get when you let the vinegar and lemon juice 'cook' the chicken. It's almost like chicken ceviche!).
If you want to give it a good kick a pepper like Fatalii or Aji Limon would go with the ingredients well.

Hmmm. I see different Spiedie marinades in stores and always wondered what they were designed for. I have usually used them on chicken thighs before grilling. I will try this recipe. I bet it would be good for pork chops too.

Back