• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers are good for you

Ran across this and thought it would be good to share.

From http://boomercuisine.com/2010/09/08/chile-peppers-101/ we learn the value of hot pepper consumption for our bodies. According to the Boomercusine web site we learn Chile peppers, and particularly the capsaicin they contain, are good for what ails you. Here’s just a short list of some of the health benefits attributed to them:

Weight Loss. Feel the burn and lose the pounds is one theory posited by researchers at the Oxford Polytechnic Institute in England. In an experiment with 12 individuals, each participant ate identical 766-calorie meals. Chile powder and mustard were added to meals on alternate days. Participants burned an average of 45 extra calories on the days that their meals included chile powder. (Added calorie expenditure varied from four to 76 calories.) The theory is that eating hot peppers increases “thermogenesis,” the body’s caloric burn rate.

Keep your heart healthy. Chiles reduce platelet aggregation, which clogs blood vessels which in turn can cause heart disease.

Improve circulation. Because chiles are vasodilators and open up blood vessels, ingesting cayenne pepper improves blood circulation. People with circulation problems or who have suffered frost bite often take capsaicin powder before participating in cold weather sports.

Cancer killer. Capsaicin in chiles may fight cancer by preventing carcinogens from binding to DNA. The theory is that binding to the DNA short-circuits the triggers for lung and other cancers. This does not mean that chiles cure cancer, but eating them may help to reduce your risk of getting certain kinds of cancer.

Bacteria Killer, Part I. Get hurt on a picnic and don’t have any Bactine on you? Head for the hot sauce, instead. Chiles and their capsaicin act as an antiseptic when applied directly to a wound. (No, it does not work against snake bites.)

Bacteria Killer, Part II. Chiles can prevent food borne bacterial disease such as salmonella. Chiles killed more than 75 percent of 30 germs in a study published in the March 1998 issue of the Quarterly Review of Biology.

Pain Management. Capsaicin is believed to affect the pain signals in the skin, blocking pain without blocking other sensations. Find an ointment or cream containing capsaicin and smear it over the body part that’s hurting. Initially the capsaicin may produce a burning sensation, but that should cancel out the pain that you’re feeling.

Cure for the Common Cluster Headache. Just as it short-circuits pain elsewhere, chiles and their capsaicin can provide relief for some kind of headaches, especially cluster headaches.

Digestive Aid and Constipation Cure. Chiles stimulate gastric secretions. Eating chiles increases the circulation in the stomach and intestines so that food is processed and absorbed more efficiently.

Cold Relief. Hot pepper acts as an expectorant. It can break up congestion and reduce mucous in the lungs and nasal passages.

Good stuff to sell the pepper to your un-tasting friends and spouse. :woohoo:

It's also used in ointments such as Tiger balm and in many chinese medicines. Mix varying amounts with vaseline or alcohol and other herbs for minor sports injuries such as muscles aches, light strains or sprains or apply to your hands when conditioning for fights.

Good read :)

I got lit up by mosquitoes last summer, realized I didn't have any itch spray, snapped one of my ring of fire pods in half and rubbed it on the bites. Worked like a charm :D

Brandon

In Costa Rica I got a couple of hookworms (parasites that burrow under the skin like a leaf miner). Locals said I should heat a lemon in the fire until it was smoking hot and apply that. Instead I pulled a couple of pods off a wild chile bush and rubbed the juice on--burned like hell for a while but the next morning the hookworms were done.

the cancer killer is one of the main reasons I upped my intake of capsaicin over the last 4 years...if you keep the level up high enough in your body (3-4 habs a week if I remember correctly will do it), prostate cancer cells will commit suicide...and well, with prostate cancer in my family genetics, I figure what the heck...no pain, no gain....

Back