Help in Florida

So, I know there are at least a dozen or so growers here from Florida and this upcoming season i'm looking at starting a legit pepper selling business. I won't be selling seeds, sauces or powders yet, only full pods. I've got over 150 plants started and i'm looking to make at 500$ per month so I know i'm going to have to collect taxes and such. I've never started a business before but I have made three previous business plans so i'm good with that side of the issue, my problem is with licensing, collecting taxes and making sure I have everything filled out. If anyone has done this before, i'd appreciate any tips or help you could give.

Thanks,
Melium

Hi Melium

I spent ten years in the restaurant biz and I'll tell you that your best bet to find out all the information is to check with a local produce stand or produce supplier. If you can't find good resources on either, go into your favorite restaurant (that is not corporate) and ask them who they use for their produce. Talk to a manager at the suppliers warehouse and they should give you a good idea as to what you need to do and you may even collect a buyer at the same time.

Thanks, Dannyboy. I'll be talking to a few restaurant owners as well as a few other nurseries in my area. Hopefully this year i'll be able to make enough money to support and grow my pepper habit.

Mel, I can't remember ever paying tax for food stuff's in Publix. Only where the food was prepared. So, as long as your selling raw peppers and not Popper you might be good. Best bet as Dannyboy said talk to some of those who already do it. Actually talking to a produce suppllier might even get you steady work supplying them with good quality hot peppers. Internet sales are another thing though.

I agree with RocketMan. The internet market for peppers would be huge but to start your business shipping over state lines would cost you a pretty penny due to USDA regulations. But even if you created a market for it here and shipped, it is definitely doable. Another thing that just hit me Mel, there are alot of copackers in FL. Check them out for some business too.

Going to check on a copacker here near Jax, i'm also going to look up what the costs and USDA stuff needed to ship nationally. I have nothing but free time and some savings so it might be worth the chance.

hmmmm, so much to think about. Please keep us informed as to what you find out Mel. I'd be interested in what rules the USDA has for shipping over state lines....good luck.

Not too much to update, basically its all about filling out the USDA paperwork and finding a co-packer or commerical kitchen to work from as far as i've found.

Back