• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A look at Root Pouches

So i finally got my root pouches. I got mine from http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/, very friendly group of people and excellent customer service.

I got 10 gallon, 7 gallon, 5 gallon, and 1 pint root pouches. They sell them real cheap there compared to everywhere i've seen. I bought 20 - 5 gallon, 5 - 7 gallon, 5 - 10 gallon, and 50 - 1 pint root pouches.

Here are some pics

From left to right, 10 gallon, 7 gallon and 5 gallon
P1020518.jpg

They are nice and thick, have good sturdy stitching.
P1020519.jpg

Here is a 5 gallon plastic container vs 5 gallon root pouch
P1020520.jpg

5 gallon plastic inside a root pouch, fits perfectly
P1020521.jpg

7 gallon plastic inside a 7 gallon root pouch
P1020522.jpg

7 gallon plastic inside a 10 gallon root pouch
P1020523.jpg

The 1 pint one, about the size of a soda can
P1020516.jpg

1 pint in my hand
P1020524.jpg

underside of 1 pint
P1020525.jpg

Great thing about 1 pint root pouch is bottom watering potentials when growing seedlings.

Do the 1 pints have a velcro side? i know I played holy hell getting one out of a one gallon, if it didn't have such a tough stem it never would have come out...

Do the 1 pints have a velcro side? i know I played holy hell getting one out of a one gallon, if it didn't have such a tough stem it never would have come out...

It does not have a velcro side. I'm planning to cut the pot and remove the root ball. Each pot is only 24 cents or so, not worth trying to keep it if trying to remove it tears up the plant's roots.

I have a root pouch related question. I've been thinking of using root pouches to overwinter my plants at the end of the year. I will overwinter as many as 20 plants, and my space is very limited. What does everyone think of cutting back the root ball of 10 month old plants (some grown in the ground, others in pots) and sticking them in 1 pint root pouches? Does that seem too drastic? It would be a great space saver to use the pints, but if you guys think it would not be healthy for my plants, I will probably overwinter less plants in 1 gallon root pouches.

Any input would be appreciated.

EDIT: I just looked on Greenhouse Megastore, and they have a 1 and 2 quart sizes. Maybe one of those would be a better size for overwintering?

I have a root pouch related question. I've been thinking of using root pouches to overwinter my plants at the end of the year. I will overwinter as many as 20 plants, and my space is very limited. What does everyone think of cutting back the root ball of 10 month old plants (some grown in the ground, others in pots) and sticking them in 1 pint root pouches? Does that seem too drastic? It would be a great space saver to use the pints, but if you guys think it would not be healthy for my plants, I will probably overwinter less plants in 1 gallon root pouches.

Any input would be appreciated.

I pruned 3 plants and their root balls out of 7 gallon containers and made them fit into 2 gallon smart pots. 2 made it and one died, seemed like the one that died wasn't able to get enough water, and it died within 2 weeks. I would measure your available area and go with the biggest possible pots you can fit in the space. That would ensure your best chance for success.

Has anyone used these before ? What are the advantages / disadvantages ?

I use these too. The biggest advantage of root pouches/smart pots/fabric pots is that you don't have to worry about roots circling the pot. The fabric pots air prune the roots so they don't circle. Instead the roots grow very dense.

In the case of root pouches they also have economical advantages as they are very cheap. I bought mine from the greenhousemegastore too, and for 25x1pint, 25x1gallon, and 10x5gallon the cost, after shipping, was $0.83 per pouch.

I bought root pouches from greenhousemegastore as well, I just got 20-5 gallons. I havent put any plants in them yet but I'm excited to try them. I used 5 gallon Lowe's buckets last year and they worked, but as stated the roots just circle around the pot some I'm looking forward to all this air-pruning business

this is a smart pot (same thing as root pouches) in a flood and drain system. I decided today to put in a bigger "pot". I don't know if the pictures do it justice but it is a huge plant in a little pot. Turbo pube if you are wondering

bigplant2.jpg

bigplant.jpg

I had great luck last year with Wally mart and target cloth shopping bags. They are about 4 or so gallons and I think they are similar in results to these. The bad part is they were trashed after a season. Disintegrating around the top and I had to transfer to buckets over winter.
Growth was: 5 gal depot buckets then wally bags then In ground was next and hydro was best.
Just my results with 50 plants. Not scientific and just the way my cards laid out.

What is the best media for pouches. I was planning on using an 80/20 coco/perlite, they're going to be drip watered and manually fed. I've been having great results with that mix so far in my vertical towers

Back