• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hey, Look what Scovie sent me!

When my bud Scoville Deville said he was sending me a little something I was thrilled. I HAD NO IDEA it would be THIS.

100_9923.jpg

I have been wanting to start making my own chili powder for a while, and now I am set. Along with about ten bags of different dried pods, he sent a bunch of Texas Creek a.k.a. Salsa Lady's goodies. I still would like to know what the orange stuff is in that clear bottle. Whatever it is, its good. I am making my first batch of chili with your peppers Scovie. I am going to have fun experimenting. Thank you so much.

This is made mainly with deer meat that a friend gave me (he felt bad since I didn't get my own).

100_9930.jpg

100_9931.jpg

100_9934.jpg

100_9935.jpg

100_9925.jpg

100_9926.jpg

100_9928.jpg

100_9927.jpg

Besides what you can see, I added tomato paste, puree, and diced. I also added some good commercial chili powder, some brown sugar, AJ's Scorpion Puree, sea salt, cayenne, white pepper, and a beer. It has a nice earthy taste, good heat, and balance. I am going to let it simmer most of the day and report back later. I think I should have just made a double batch of the powder and added some bhuts to ramp up the heat rather than using the commercial stuff and the puree. Well, that's what practice is for.

That's gold right there. ^^^^^ Commercial powder? what's that? LOL

You're to kind JT, and you're more than welcome. Seth posted something similar, because he got a similar package. No worries Justaguy, you're next.
I will eventually get to everyone LOL.

I see a "RED" head-to-head in our future, I'll let the powers-that-be get that started, anyone want in? Speak up. I've heard Alabama Jack's RED is legendary.... hint hint hint.

Dam fine lookin vittles JT. I wish we were next door neighbors right now.

I still would like to know what the orange stuff is in that clear bottle.

Me, Too. :lol: It's somthing I whipped up this fall and didn't write down the ingredients. Oh well, another mystery sauce~

Nice looking chili. You'll be hooked on them pods soon.

I'm hooked on them already, but my nose isn't. After all that grinding I was sneezing and blowing my nose for an hour.

I'm hooked on them already, but my nose isn't. After all that grinding I was sneezing and blowing my nose for an hour.

Sounds like you've seen heaven. Did you toast them in the oven first? I bet your kitchen smelled awesome.

I toasted them in a pan on the stove. Yes it smelled great all day between the peppers and the chili that followed.

Back