• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Are these Bhut Jolokias or Dorset Nagas?

394464_338748652818911_100000513375626_1421716_518283447_n.jpg

Someone said on the Ghost Pepper fan page that they were Dorset Nagas, but didn't explain why. I bought these thinking they were the Bhut Jolokias.

the smoothness and the somewhat triangular shape makes me think naga. my bhuts are bumpier and more elongated.

Are grocery store's really aloud to be misleading like this?

Also I took a picture of the container opened. Can you guys tell now?

374366_341492532544523_100000513375626_1430837_1531402898_n.jpg

the grocery store bought them from a distributor who bought them from melissa's who bought them from a grower who likely bought the seed from somewhere as well. possibly another layer or two in there somewhere. hard to say where in that chain of events the deception/ignorance took place- certainly farther down than the grocery store...

Lunchbox bought the same thing yesterday at Central Market in Fort Worth...

IMO those are Naga Morich...I have seen the same peppers from the same people labelled as Naga Jolokia also...

Either way, if you were wanting heat, you got some...they are good...

Definitely Naga Morich or Dorset Naga. The Bhut Jolokia looks similar to a Fatali or 7-Pot Red, with bumpy skin and a sharp point, usually triangular walls, too.

+6
It looks more like a naga

Ha ha, (+6)

And, they probably are a "Morich" variety. Which is a better producing plant and from my expierences,
a faster ripening chili. If I were farming that's what I'd plant, more profit per capita......just my opinion

Greg

They may not be bhut's bat that is still an awesome score from the grocery. I bet they still are hot as can be!

"do you have Central Market there?"

No, we only have places like ingles and food lion. We have a few places I have not checked, such as Earth Fare and Greenlife. They sell more expensive foods, so they may have the better peppers.

I've been putting 3-4 orange habs in most everything I cook, I need to up the heat.

does whole foods carry superhots? i'd guess there is probably one of those around asheville with all the hippies in that area.

The habs I buy are 4 to 5$ a pound.

OH I see. Greenlife is actually whole foods, it just has a fancy name here. Thanks for the tip man, I know where i'll be shopping for groceries next.

Back