• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Naga Morich Winter Project

Hello everyone!

This is my first post to this message board. This summer is my first experience growing peppers indoors and out.
Outdoors I have a few common varieties going such as Pablanos, Serrano’s, and some bell peppers. (Will post some of those pictures some other time)

Winter is coming! Here in Colorado Springs (Zone 5).

Time to start peppers indoors, and I wanted to share my winter project with you all.

I got Naga Morich :lol: peppers from 2 different sources, and started germination about two weeks ago.

Here are some pictures.

9-8-07
9-8-07-IMG_0007.jpg

9-8-07-IMG_0003.jpg

For germination I used 10 gal fish tank, with glass cover, and 4 fluorescent lights. Works very nicely, holds heat and humidity! Perfect for germination! Was able to germinate seeds within 7 days, I soaked the seeds for about an hour prior to sowing.

9-15-07
9-15-07-IMG_0031.jpg

Removed the plants from 10 gal tank.

9-15-07
9-15-07-IMG_0032.jpg

I got seeds from 2 different sources, wanted to see if there might be any differences in the seeds. Primos seeds I believe originally came from the Chilie Man, and I got more seeds from guy name "philipperv" on e-bay. Both had very nice seeds!

9-20-07
9-20-07-IMG_0085.jpg

Philippervs seeds germinated on the 6th day, but only got about 60-70% germ rate total. Primos seeds germinated 2 days after and got a 99% germination rate total.

SO FAR SO GOOD!

keep posted for more pictures.

Interesting, Phillipperv is a member here. I have used tank water with great success on orchids, I imagine it would work well on peppers.

Have you considered overwintering any plants? I plan to do that this year to get a jump on seeds, also in case of any cross pollination on my present favorites.

Is your goal to transplant outside in the spring? I have read that prolonged growth(more than a month or so) under flourescents inhibits later growth by permenantly acclaimating the plants to lower light levels. I am not meaning to be negative, I guess I should start some now under flourescents and see how they compare to the same seeds started in late winter. Thanks for the inspiration!

cheezydemon said:
Interesting, Phillipperv is a member here. I have used tank water with great success on orchids, I imagine it would work well on peppers.

oh i didnt know he was. thats cool. will have to send him the link.

cheezydemon said:
Have you considered overwintering any plants? I plan to do that this year to get a jump on seeds, also in case of any cross pollination on my present favorites.

Yeah but I have had issues with bugs, don’t want to bring them inside. Also would like to avoid cross-pollination, right now I have a black pearl pepper inside, which will be moved, before the nagas flower. Would rather start over on something else, nagas sounded like a good start.

cheezydemon said:
Is your goal to transplant outside in the spring? I have read that prolonged growth(more than a month or so) under flourescents inhibits later growth by permenantly acclaimating the plants to lower light levels. I am not meaning to be negative, I guess I should start some now under flourescents and see how they compare to the same seeds started in late winter. Thanks for the inspiration!

No I plan to use 3 more fluorescent lights for a month or so, I use the grow lights you get at Wal-Mart (Lights of America fluorescents, the ones that say grow light on them), they give off a blueish tint which really helps, DONT BUY THE YELLOWISH ONES!. Later on I will introduce a metal halide, most likely a 200w or more.

Im sure they will go outside next year, but my main mission is to seed them.

Equipment

Ok here is what I'm using as far as equipment, there are some things I need to take care of still.

9-23-07-IMG_0217.jpg

Up and coming TODOS:
1. Ventilation
2. Setup Timer 18 hours on & 6 off!! lol
3. More lighting
4. Transplants

staffing said:
Man...they're beautiful. Leaves look like habbys. Hope it works out well for you.

Thanks! I hope everything goes well myself.

Just need to upgrade the lighting, so I can get a good amount of fruit. Might be the newbie in me but what do you mean “habby”? habanero leafs? Isn’t Naga Morich related?

QuebecFire said:
LOL you look like someone who grow other kind of plant indoor LOL i'm I right ??;)

LOL :lol: No just peppers, corn, giant pumpkins, and tomatoes.. Stuff like that.
Got to say this year I got an 800-pound pumpkin and the blossom end cracked on me! :cool: My uncle got an around 1100 pound and it also cracked, he’s got another estimating around 900 lbs, we will see how it does at the weigh off. He made second page in the newspaper this year. :P check it out…..

here is the article if anybody wants to check it out. i will upload a picture soon.
http://www.gazette.com/articles/sawtelle_27664___article.html/pumpkin_goliath.html

Back