• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Another preservation method

I like hot pepper rings on sandwiches from time to time and jarred jalapenos on nachos. I got the idea to put extra peppers into the vinegar left in storebought jars.

So far so good. The best one seems to be some orange habs that I put into the juice from some hot pepper rings. The juice is now dood enough to bottle by itself! The peppers are good too this way. I love them fresh, but I am always looking for new ways to enjoy them.

Another good experiment was a jar of spicy gourmet olives that I finished off, and then re-filled with purple piquins and punjab lalls. It has white wine and vinegar and garlic and oregano already in it. It is giving the peppers a new life. I will use them in sauces, salsas, and on sub sandwiches. Just thought I would share.

Ive always pickled with vinager and pickling salt and other spices...another approach would be cool

my last pickled habs

100_1443.jpg

my son is a pickle nut so i just ring up the peppers and throw them in to the jars once he eats all the pickles works good. although he eats pickles faster then i can fill the jars but it only takes ten mins to boil some eggs and thtow them in the jar then add peppers when i got them. makes for good tastin eggs. and its so easy.

I love dill! I just bottled some peppers last night. Some stuff from the garden, some from local farmers market.

Just use some good quality vinegar, kosher salt, various peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, chives, and dill from the garden. I use almost anything I can think of, lol. :lol:

9-23-07-IMG_0204.jpg

Wow, another brilliant idea that I never even thought of!! I'm so glad this was brought up!

Can anyone please tell me their receipt for doing this? Like what ratio of peppers vs vinegar and other goodies? The pickel jar mixture sounds good and I'm going to buy me a jar right away and eat all the pickles so I can get habs in there.

I've never tried pickling, this would be perfect for my habs that I have now overflowing my garden.

Thank You!

I use a
(5% acidity) vinegar
Sometimes rice vinegar or
Wine vinegar (6% acidity), or both.
About tablespoon or 2 of kosher salt, kind without anti-cake or iodide, supposed to be better for bottling.
Your selection of peppers
And whatever else.

Sometimes I use leftover bill pickle juice, and just put peppers right into that, saves time, :lol:

I also do canning. the pic from scarecrow is not truely canning, BTW whats with those brown seeds in the jar from the green chiles or are they spices ? if bad seeds why not get rid of bad parts of the chile before putting them in jars (maybe I'm to picky?) & if not truely canning I'd make sure everything is covered in vinegar, which the left & right jar looks like its short on liquid

canuk - whats with the plastic under the seal ?

chilehunter said:
I also do canning. the pic from scarecrow is not truely canning, BTW whats with those brown seeds in the jar from the green chiles or are they spices ? if bad seeds why not get rid of bad parts of the chile before putting them in jars (maybe I'm to picky?) & if not truely canning I'd make sure everything is covered in vinegar, which the left & right jar looks like its short on liquid

canuk - whats with the plastic under the seal ?

I didn’t think it mattered, I don’t know. That’s why they are in vinegar, because they where getting ready to go bad. Not worried about these things. I think it was the fact that I cut the peppers and let them sit exposed little to long, like an hour or so. This is just quick way of doing it. I am in no way a professional "canner".

I like to soak my chiles in a brine overnight before pickling. This will remove some water and make a crispier pepper. I don't know how safe it is to use old pickle juice since it has probably become quite diluted and unsterile. Maybe combining old juice with fresh vinegar would be ok if properly heated in sterilized jars.

Anyone know if there is a way tp prevent the colors from fading over time or is it just something I have to accept.

I've noticed that my sauce color fades over time, although the flavor stays great.

I'd love it if I could keep the color strong

Pickled items are very sterile and will last indefinitely. I think the only concern is making sure that they are submerged!

I re-use the juice because it usually contains something to retain color. The whole reason I was inspired to do this was because I got some delicious spicy olives. Get this:
The olives were packed in white wine, vinegar, spices, onions, and slices of jalapeno. The Olives were hotter than the jalapenos......somehow the olives wicked the heat out of the jalapenos. My next trick will be to eat 1/4 of a jar of olives and then pack some hot peppers in there. The olives were delicious!

chilehunter said:
...canuk - whats with the plastic under the seal ?

the plastic stops the salt reacting with the metal lid

POTAWIE said:
I like to soak my chiles in a brine overnight before pickling. This will remove some water and make a crispier pepper. I don't know how safe it is to use old pickle juice since it has probably become quite diluted and unsterile. Maybe combining old juice with fresh vinegar would be ok if properly heated in sterilized jars.

I agree - the brine mix from the pickles is most likely mixed with water anyway. if reusing old mix, I would recommend you strain any vegetable matter out first and also top up with a little extra vinegar and/or salt as per Potawie's recommendation. better yet, try to make your own mix and if you want pickle flavour, pickle your own with the chiles etc.

I personally doubt if habaneros in "hot pepper ring" juice (re-used or not) would ever go bad, but to each their own.
I like to develop my own recipes from scratch anyways, so I am sure that I will develop my own pickling (not canning) recipes eventually.
But seriously the NAPA VALLEY BISTRO southwestern olives were marked close-out at my local grocery (KROGERS) when the rest of their brand line up was not discontinued. I am sure that it is because they are so damn hot!!! I went back and bought the rest of them. They were my inspiration, to save the yummy juice.

chilliman64 said:
the plastic stops the salt reacting with the metal lid

:lol: well maybe ? but theres no need for the plastic under the sealing lid because salt doesnt do anything to the lid nor the seal. basically everything thats canned has salt in them, do you see plastic film between the lid & the jar when you buy canned products ? & I've never had a problem with salt affecting the lid or seal, the only problem is if the seal is not clean before & while cooking/sealing the jars then they wont seal or will pop later because of not having a clean seal. which having plastic between the jar & lid just dont seem right to me, but if it works for you more power to ya.

I dont do the reusing of vinegar & spices from other canned jars & then put veggies in that liquid, so I dont know anything about that process, but if I was gonna do that I'd make sure all the veggies were fully covered in the liquid (vinegar,salt,spices)
it sounds interesting to try this for a quick canning taste.

I think pickling and canning are two different processes that can overlap. I think that some rules of canning can be broken if you are just pickling. Most of us will probably eat the pickled product over the winter, stored for a couple of months in the fridge, not stored for years in a cellar.

chilehunter said:
I dont do the reusing of vinegar & spices from other canned jars & then put veggies in that liquid.

You should try the juices get better every time you use them, LOL. :) Just make sure to top it off with some vinegar.

This stuff doesn’t go bad unless you try and store it away for many years or something like that anyhow. I always end up eating part of the jar, and the stuff floats to the top because it’s not full anyways.

cheezydemon said:
I think pickling and canning are two different processes that can overlap. I think that some rules of canning can be broken if you are just pickling. Most of us will probably eat the pickled product over the winter, stored for a couple of months in the fridge, not stored for years in a cellar.

Yeah makes sense

chilehunter said:
:) well maybe ? but theres no need for the plastic under the sealing lid because salt doesnt do anything to the lid nor the seal. basically everything thats canned has salt in them, do you see plastic film between the lid & the jar when you buy canned products ? & I've never had a problem with salt affecting the lid or seal, the only problem is if the seal is not clean before & while cooking/sealing the jars then they wont seal or will pop later because of not having a clean seal. which having plastic between the jar & lid just dont seem right to me, but if it works for you more power to ya.

I dont do the reusing of vinegar & spices from other canned jars & then put veggies in that liquid, so I dont know anything about that process, but if I was gonna do that I'd make sure all the veggies were fully covered in the liquid (vinegar,salt,spices)
it sounds interesting to try this for a quick canning taste.

sorry, I meant to write vinegar not salt - you know what it's like when you're reading several threads at once and skipping between them... anyway, I've pickled pods and had metal corrosion occur. I guess the lids I used weren't non-reactive. this chemical reaction is something that I have read about also. I suppose the clingwrap could also help give a better seal.

the way i see it if i die from eating bad pepers from the pickle jar at least i am gonna die happy doin somthing i love. and all you really have to worry about is botalisim (sp) i survived food poisining from bein to drunk to cook a chicken so i can make it through a little case of botalisim

Back