• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds collecting seeds...

i tried searching, but came back with fail...

i read somewhere that i should collect seeds only from a freshly ripped pod... now, i always thought you dry the pod in the sun in a cardboard box before collecting seeds...

¿what's the best way...?

i'm also interested in trading seeds on here... but don't know how long to keep the seeds or anything like that... i'm used to cloning cuttings from local peeps... don't know how seed trading really works...

also, how many seeds do i need to collect in order for it to be a fair amount in a trade...¿

thanks in advance...

I don´t think it matters if you collect them from fres or dried pods, as long as the pod is ripe. Also i´ve noticed that the first peppers a plant produces give a better germinating seeds.

I have collected both ways before. Collected from fresh pods... Also I have collected moldy pods and have had them produce as well. Just as long as the pod is mature you should be fine. No Embro no seed.

I dry my seeds only in the sun........they always work for me......i don't track germination rates but out of 10 ......you should be fine .

most folks send around 10 seeds on the trades I have made so far .......unless you have specific arrangements of course....

Also, here is a link on the proper way to do a SASBE (self address stamped bubble envelope) or SASE .......please use it or you will be punished.........just kidding

it's just proper etiquette that all would like to see

Dang, I had a bunch of pods go moldy on me and threw them away. Oh well. Make sure it is a bubble envelope. I had some delivered to me just the other day. First seeds someone ever sent me...and they came in a regular envelope. They were pulverized into pieces. I don't recommend anything but the bubblers or the cushioned envelope from now on. As long as you've got some seeds someone will trade with you. People will send you seeds with out anything in return as well. That's just the way people are around here. Nice as hell and eager to help. Good luck! :hell:

wow, thanks for all of this advice... i was thinking about mailing in a normal envelope with a neoprene pocket for the seeds... that way it can be reusable and washable...

Thanks for the topic. All I have are the jumbo Cayenne seeds that I got from my plants. All the rest are bought seeds. Of course, getting 30 in a pack is way more than I will use in a season and instead of holding them over a year I could trade for other varieties. Just have to wait and see I guess.

i just got seeds out of a bunch of chile negro pods and red manzano pods... i was wearing gloves, but then some fell on the table after i took them off... i forgot to wash my hands, and i went to go pee...

FML...

good thing it wasn't the homie that was on fire... it was just the family jewels a bit...

but now i'm gonna make a hot sauce i found on another thread on this forum... woo hoo...

Back