vendor shout out to smokinasschilli.com

I cannot yet comment on seed quality or speediness of delivery, but so far customer service is OUTSTANDING! I just missed out on a special offer for THP members and he made good on it by throwing in an extra packet of White Bhut seeds. They should be in the mail now and I will update on the finished product. He only offers red, white and purple Bhuts at this time...don't want to start the "purple isn't a real Bhut" argument on here, but they look really cool. Give smokinasschilli a try...Australian member get free shipping and US customers pay about as much shipping as if we'd ordered them stateside. You can find a link to his special in the Hot pepper/seeds forum under his Purple Bhut post. I think its 7.99 for 50 White Bhut and 10.99 for 50 Purple which is better than most 10 packs of seeds stateside.
Hope you give him a try!

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27263-purple-bhut-finally-here-and-special-pricing-on-whites-too/page__fromsearch__1

I cannot yet comment on seed quality or speediness of delivery, but so far customer service is OUTSTANDING! I just missed out on a special offer for THP members and he made good on it by throwing in an extra packet of White Bhut seeds. They should be in the mail now and I will update on the finished product. He only offers red, white and purple Bhuts at this time...don't want to start the "purple isn't a real Bhut" argument on here, but they look really cool. Give smokinasschilli a try...Australian member get free shipping and US customers pay about as much shipping as if we'd ordered them stateside. You can find a link to his special in the Hot pepper/seeds forum under his Purple Bhut post. I think its 7.99 for 50 White Bhut and 10.99 for 50 Purple which is better than most 10 packs of seeds stateside.
Hope you give him a try!

http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

Update on seeds...4/4 purples germed and have a nice purple hue right out of the gate and 4/4 white's germed and are looking good as well! Two of the purples were up in just over 4 days, and in 5 the other two purples and 2 whites were up. ALL were up and running in 7! Kinda new to supers, but those are good rates for annuum's much less super chinense varieties...Smokinhot deal, smokinhot seeds from smokinasschilli! Will keep you all posted on how these do throughout the season...

I bought white Bhut and this is what he stated:
as far as i gather from my supplier ( hard to speak to someone who can hardly speak english )

they start dark green when immature and loose colour to white / cream when they are ripe , as with purples if left they will eventually show some red . and they just arrived in the mail so I will start sending out some pm's shortly

The pods when unripe are dark green , when mature they are the light white / cream colour if left be afther this they start showing a light pink colour. They seem to behave much like the purple , they have their purple or in this case white stage then they start showing a bit of colour if left past maturity

this is information I gathered straight from the supplier , they never turn red , just a bit of colour past maturity

Mine never turned white but full RED, so a bit disappointed. Not having a go because im trying to slander or say bad things about another vendor, Im writing this as a customer and am upset because I paid for these. I have a right to question a purchase I made. I also want ot know if anyone else has had white pods yet or if theirs just go red?
I will post pics as soon as I get my camera. The rest of the pods are light green atm, so will see what happens with them. the other pod I had on there that dropped was green with pink at the top but no sign of white. Just want to ask other people what they got?

I also have 3 plants of the "white bhut" growing, I didn't get the seeds direct from smokeinass, but from a member here (he knows who he is)
who gave me some of the seeds he received direct.... I did notice on the seeds that the placenta attached to them was red.
(seeds coming from a yellow pod shows yellow placenta and from brown/chocolate, a brown placenta, if it is not removed entirely)
that is all I can say at the moment till pods show.......this is only what I have observed so far, just my 2 cents

I also have 3 plants of the "white bhut" growing, I didn't get the seeds direct from smokeinass, but from a member here (he knows who he is)
who gave me some of the seeds he received direct.... I did notice on the seeds that the placenta attached to them was red.
(seeds coming from a yellow pod shows yellow placenta and from brown/chocolate, a brown placenta, if it is not removed entirely)
that is all I can say at the moment till pods show.......this is only what I have observed so far, just my 2 cents

As with Nova and yourself; mine are yet to set fruit. I did notice some red tissue with the seeds though. As far as I understand however, the seeds were not a product of SAC, but from a supplier he said has not yet led him astray.... Of course that could simply be a preemptive shield from criticism! I'll report on mine when the time comes too!

And for transparencies sake i gave seeds to JR. :high:
:lol:

to be fair...and this will be my final post on this topic I am quoting from pg 2 of the white bhut thread:

as far as i gather from my supplier ( hard to speak to someone who can hardly speak english )

they start dark green when immature and loose colour to white / cream when they are ripe , as with purples if left they will eventually show some red . and they just arrived in the mail so I will start sending out some pm's shortly

for those that are surprised to find a little green in the color he also posted this and other photo links on that thread:

http://www.smokinasschilli.com/white/white%20next%20to%20red-15.JPG

The fact that they ripen to red is also on his website:

"although as with purples if left be after maturity they will start showing some red"

I believe he has been nothing but straight forward, and is still offering a great product at an unbelievable price!

I will let you all decide for yourselves...but painfully clear to me that he made every effort to supply his customers with the best descriptions he had for them...

I'm moving my post from the purple bhut thread in the marketplace forum to here. (Clicking on a link in the "new content" section makes it easy to get into the marketplace forum without realizing where you are.) To the extent I've contributed to any sort of flamewar, I apologize. I said twice in my original post that I wasn't criticizing the seeds I received, but rather the way the information about mature pod color was presented. My criticism was intended to be constructive, but clearly wasn't taken that way. Nevertheless, I stand by what I said. Here it is in its original form (some extra bolding added). The "other thread" I reference is the white bhut thread.

Well, look, I'm not complaining about the product. Having these color phases at any point is interesting enough in itself. Please take this in the spirit of constructive criticism, but this thread is misleading. Normally when someone talks about a <insert color here> pepper, it's sort of expected that refers to the mature color (except maybe for some of the "rainbow" ornamentals). How is someone to know they have to look at some other thread to get an accurate description of the pepper? I only found that other thread just now. Even there, the description leads one to believe the mature color of the white is white/cream, showing some red only if left overlong. To wit:

they start dark green when immature and loose colour to white / cream when they are ripe , as with purples if left they will eventually show some red .

and

The pods when unripe are dark green , when mature they are the light white / cream colour if left be afther this they start showing a light pink colour. They seem to behave much like the purple , they have their purple or in this case white stage then they start showing a bit of colour if left past maturity

this is information I gathered straight from the supplier , they never turn red , just a bit of colour past maturity

Bold added by me (below, too). This seems a bit different from the recent comment in this thread:

Like the purples they all ripen to red . It was written in my original post . the pods go green to white and finally fully ripen to red. Purples are the same they also fully ripen to red

but maybe that's just me. As for the website, the links to the THP special pricing offers don't have any description at all. It's only by clicking on the links for the regular listings that you find for the whites:

"although as with purples if left be after maturity they will start showing some red "

and finally for the purples:

"Purples ripen from green to purple turning red finally"

which seems a long way to have to go to get the low down.

Again, I'm happy to have the seeds, but the thread (this thread) could have been a whole lot clearer on the matter of mature pod color. I don't think I'm the only to have misunderstood.

That's the end of my original post.

So first, based on the purple bhut thread where I first found the offer for both colors and the information contained in the links to the offers for purple and white at the SAC website, there is no indication the pods are anything other than purple or white. I'll repeat my previous question, how is a person to know they have to look in other threads or look at other links to learn the truth?

I believe stc3248 is cherry-picking SAC's comments to make it seem there is no confusion, but how can you ignore, "they never turn red"? As for his (stc3248's) suggestion that WCA and I were colluding on a slander campaign, that's just absurd. (And the correct term would be libel, if true, which it isn't.) I never knew WCA before all this and, in fact, her original post about two red pods barely caught my eye. I wouldn't expect these strains to be stable and so a few red pods would not be unexpected. What caught my attention was SAC's subsequent response that, "they all ripen to red", which the last time I checked was pretty much the exact opposite of "they never turn red". What am I missing here? Of course, stc3248 has admitted he's a bit of a pot-stirrer, so good job there, consider the pot stirred. Oh, and apology accepted and likewise, no hard feelings.

What I suspect has happened here is that SAC was mislead by his supplier of 8 years and genuinely believed the mature pod colors were white and purple. I got my seeds promptly, for a good price, and hopefully in good condition. (They got very slightly crunched in shipping, but that's not his fault; padding was included. I'll start germinating them in the next few days and report back.) So for the third or fourth time, I'm not complaining about the product. I just think SAC could have done a better job of informing his customers of his evolving understanding of what the final pod colors were. Is there no such thing as constructive criticism anymore?

edit: corrected WAC to WCA.

Sawyer has presented everything I wanted to say but in a better way. Stc when I first got interest for the whites and purples there was no mention of them being any other colour, it wasn't until a few pages in the thread people started asking and then after 12 days smokinass decided to answer with responses about them still going white/cream with a slight pink tinge but NOT fully red. This led me to believe that they would be mature at white, but I doubt it now if they go so red then that would be when they are mature. If I get a white one I will cut it open and see if the seeds are fully developed.
I have all these plants in a cage so I only check on them every few weeks so didn't see too much of the different stages, however I will keep my eye on them and report back

Smokinasschilli I did write to a mod to ask him to delete all the comments on the other thread. Don't know if he has as I am obviuosly banned form viewing that now. I would like to hear your response to my comments above.

Oh and btw I wasn't aware that there was another thread with a discussion about the colour phases, Im not on here all the time. But perhaps if the wording "white Bhut" doesn't really represent what it is then a link could have been posted in his sale thread at the start with pricing so people wouldn't get confused.

Pics of purple bhut , seeds supplied by me and grown out by Firedupchilli a long term buyer of mine and organic chilli grower in Mareeba Qld

053.JPG

Thanks Col mate for the pic and the ripe red pods can clearly be seen on the plant hope that clears the purple bhut question !!!!!!

Purple finally ripening to red . waiting on pics of whites and will post when available

Back