• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chicken's MMXII Grow Log (The Hot Spot Pepper Shack)

Hello everyone!

Planting seeds is still a couple of weeks away yet but thought I would start out with an introduction and let you know a little bit about our place we call The Hot Spot or should I say what others call it, I call it a garden. ;)

Here is a little bit about our hobby farm and how we turned what once was an old abandon farm into our favorite place to be.

This is a family oriented hobby farm located in Northeastern Wisconsin. The farm is about elevan acres in size but we are utilizing only a small portion for the garden. Even though our growing time is short we use every day given to produce some of the best peppers in the state.

We have lived here since 2002 and our garden is just a smidge over 1/2 acre. As each year has passed the pepper garden has grown. Our garden for the year of 2010 had just over 1000 pepper seedlings planted, 2011 2000. Although no herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers are used, we are not organically certified and do not claim to be.

The compost that is integrated into the soil is procured from a large organic dairy farm a few miles from our home. The soil is sifted and mixed with the compost to create raised, plastic mulch covered beds, thus giving us the ability to control soil heat, moisture and weeds. As the plant grows, we denude the early buds, giving plants time to become strong and resilient.

After the first denuding, plants are then allowed to grow into a nice leafy foliage that produces great tasting peppers we are happy to be able to share with others.

From our family to yours, Thank you!

I am in the midst of building a grow room with a second story green house where this year I will be able to start the plants. Some of you may have seen the tread in Grow Tech category, might be interesting if you’re ever bored. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23974-spicy-chickens-grow-room-and-greenhouse-makeover/f

Worked very hard at it last summer, my wife calls it The Pepper Shack.

A couple of before and after pics.

Greenhouse_Before_After_001.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_002.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_003.jpg
settings.gif

Greenhouse_Before_After_004.jpg

As you can see I have a long way to go, but at least I will be able to start the seeds in there, really looking forward to that.

More to come. thanks for looking! SC

Dang... you built that, Jeff?? I was impressed to begin with, but that's like 100,000 more times cooler than I originally thought! (I just thought it was a room in your house!)

I'm in 100% agreement with gasificada. I did know you built that, and even though I've looked at those pics at least a dozen times, every time I see them, my level of amazement never drops. You have some mad skills there. You want to come build homes here in Kentucky? You could teach our home builders a thing or two. I tip my hat to you.

been following your build from the beginning...Can't wait till you get off your lazy butt and finish the greenhouse! lol I would say good luck on your grow, but from what I have seen over the past couple months luck will have little to do with it. I just hope mother nature treats you better this season than last, I know you will make sure the rest is taken care of...I'm in the Military and I bounce around a ton, and have to get the landlord's permission to do anything in the yard, but I have 150 acres in prime farming country in northeast Tx waiting for me when I retire. Luckily before I joined I worked concrete, carpentry (both framing and cabinetry) and I welded hollow metal door frames so I hope to have a setup like yours on it someday...very nice.

Dang... you built that, Jeff?? I was impressed to begin with, but that's like 100,000 more times cooler than I originally thought! (I just thought it was a room in your house!)

I did build that, not that much to it really but thanks. can I go bury my head in the sand know?

I'm in 100% agreement with gasificada. I did know you built that, and even though I've looked at those pics at least a dozen times, every time I see them, my level of amazement never drops. You have some mad skills there. You want to come build homes here in Kentucky? You could teach our home builders a thing or two. I tip my hat to you.

I would feel a little pretentious to say that I could teach any one, I just try my best.

Congratulation to you and your wife on the upcoming new addition to the family.

Looks like you have a great grow area set up there! I will be watching you. Good luck and thanks!

Lookin good, be interesting to see what you grow this year...

Thanks, Love your idea with the heat mat and sand just great, seeing your cells planted makes me want to jump the gun, :shame:

That's just awesome.

Thanks Bodeen' Looks like you have your work cut out for you in the basement. can't believe you would have to choose between strawbarrys and peppers.lol wish you the best of luck!

Just a beautiful farm and the build looks amazing !!! You are "living the dream " !! The entire setup is inspiring !

Well thanks mygrassisblue, mygrassisbrown and myassiscold. you still have some decent weather yes?

been following your build from the beginning...Can't wait till you get off your lazy butt and finish the greenhouse! lol I would say good luck on your grow, but from what I have seen over the past couple months luck will have little to do with it. I just hope mother nature treats you better this season than last, I know you will make sure the rest is taken care of...I'm in the Military and I bounce around a ton, and have to get the landlord's permission to do anything in the yard, but I have 150 acres in prime farming country in northeast Tx waiting for me when I retire. Luckily before I joined I worked concrete, carpentry (both framing and cabinetry) and I welded hollow metal door frames so I hope to have a setup like yours on it someday...very nice.

Ya ya I know but my ambition went on vacation, not sure when its comin back, soon I hope.

Thanks for protecting us buddy!!! you will have a place someday much nicer then this old peppers shack and on a 150 acers to boot. take care SC

A pic of the grow room as it was a few days ago, it was time to relocate the driers and shipping counter to make room for the grow racks.
2011_Greenhouse_makeover_0405.jpg

Well that was easy, ;)

SC_2012_Grow_Log_004.jpg

As of the day before yesturday I managed to get the grow racks put together and some protective runner on the floor.

SC_2012_Grow_Log_001.jpg

Going to be useing Pro-Mix seeding medium this year for the first time, will let you know how that works out, any one else use this and how do you like it?

DSC01025a.jpg

Thanks to many generous members I have plenty of seeds for this year’s grow, going to try and keep it down to 2,000 plant again this year, everybody knows how that goes. I still have some more seeds coming so will post a grow list in the near future.

2012_Grow_Log_004.jpg

Managed to get six light hung, using a combanation of 6500k and 3500k flors and 98 cell starter trays.

2012_Grow_Log_005.jpg

Thanks for looking, SC

You need to post a video of the vacuum seeder in action!

Good Idea, I can do that but have a kina crappy camera, not to much to it tho, dump the seeds on shake em around till each on find a hole, dump off the rest and turn it upside down over the flat, cut the suction, be a short vid, maybe 40 seconds and 98 cells are planted. :halo:

Ok here we go again, :bouttime
Only had time to plant one 98 cell tray to night, but it's a start right?
I cut the bottom out of one corner cell for checking water depth with a Popsicle stick and watering access.

2012_Grow_Log_006.jpg

Put in some 3/4 inch wood blocks to help support the inner tray.
2012_Grow_Log_007.jpg

stole my wifes egg beater from the kitchen to stir up the potting soil while adding water. worked very nice!

2012_Grow_Log_008.jpg

2012_Grow_Log_009.jpg

Filled the tray using the vacuum seeder you may have seen earlier in this thread. worked like charm as well
2012_Grow_Log_010.jpg

It took an entire gallon of water to bring the water level up a quarter inch above the bottom of the cells and only took
like 5 minutes and the water started wicking to the top.

2012_Grow_Log_011.jpg

The room is about 78 to 80 plus the extra light heat should bring it up to optimal temp, will see. :idunno

2012_Grow_Log_012.jpg

Will try on average to plant one flat per night for the next 12 days.
Thanks for looking, Jeff

I have followed this from the beginning and all I can say is wow. No other words to describe the reaction. Just WOW!

Good to see ya gettin started... your gonna be busy. I have to rebuild my shed, and I plan on a few chili friendly improvments, nothing like ya gots... Still gotta store crap in there, but at least I can clean off the back porch which should make the wifey happy.

Thanks guys!

Nothing exciting about trays of dirt but its just a running account of planted seeds I guess. wilds went in dirt last night. Hopefully a couple of trays of 7 pot's tonight.

2012_Grow_Log_013.jpg

Thanks for looking, SC

probably harder to use the vacuum seeder with mixed trays huh? I suppose you could suck/sweep then suck again...but I would think you might get some mixed hangers that way. Just doing the mixed trays the old fashion way I guess??? When you going to finish the greenhouse? What are you going to use for panels up there?

I have followed this from the beginning and all I can say is wow. No other words to describe the reaction. Just WOW!

Well thanks Tony, does that mean you liked it, LOL you spelled wow backwards. ;o)

Good to see ya gettin started... your gonna be busy. I have to rebuild my shed, and I plan on a few chili friendly improvments, nothing like ya gots... Still gotta store crap in there, but at least I can clean off the back porch which should make the wifey happy.

Keeping the wife happy is of coarse the second most important thing :party: when you get to that shed you should post it, people here including myself love watching ingenuity and caftsmanship.

probably harder to use the vacuum seeder with mixed trays huh? I suppose you could suck/sweep then suck again... :rofl: Sounds like a house maid I once hired. :whistle: but I would think you might get some mixed hangers that way. Just doing the mixed trays the old fashion way I guess??? Kina the old fashion way, I use a suction pen; works well and quick.When you going to finish the greenhouse? Hoping this winter to spring yet, time is something I have very little of these days, stupid me had to go out and buy a massive 100 year old school 80 miles from here and now have to liquidate it and tear it down. What are you going to use for panels up there? North side steel, south side Solex panels if I can afford it. thanks

awesome setup it makes me drool. can I move in with ya? ill sleep in the greenhouse. this is definately one to follow. good job

That would be fine, but you will have to play gulf, ride four wheelers, eat porterhouse steaks and enjoy many of your favorite beverages, up to you but most people would rather just go to work. :cheers: thanks.
More dirt, more seeds, and more waiting. :dance:
2012_Grow_Log_014.jpg

Thanks for looking, SC

Holy Spicy Chicken!!!!

I really don't know what else to say but that... An amazing setup, no doubt about it. Can't wait to see where the adventures of the chicken lead us this year.

-J

Foolproof system,..........nice......I like it!

That makes it easy to adjust, feed and rotate the plants according to size when needed

Can't wait to see the progress!

Greg

Back