• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

synclinorium's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't actually started seeds yet, but it will be happening in the very near future... this year's growing season will almost certainly be cut short for reasons I won't go into, so I'm trying to avoid going crazy seed starting... think of this as a healthy start on my overwinters for the year.

I've narrowed down my grow list to the following for 2012. With a couple exceptions I only plan on doing 1 or 2 of each variety, and some might be cut for space reasons, TBD. The superhots will be going into the trays as soon as I get my supplies, with the rest following shortly afterwards. My setup is slightly less ghetto than last year, but don't expect anything too fancy. Anyway, the selection, including any overwinters that make it to plant-out:

7Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Aji Amarillo (3 strains)
Bonda Ma Jacques/Datil/Fatalii
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Cumari/Cumari Pollux/Cumari o Passarinho in some combination
Jalapeno
Limon
Prik chee fa/Prik ki nu
Red Rocoto
Tepin/Pequin
Trinidad Scorpion BT
White Habanero
Wiri Wiri

Considering the fact that this growing season will be short, I didn't really want to bother with more pubescens or baccatums aside from my overwinters, and the wilds and superhots I'm just doing for fun. I'll probably do several more Aji Amarillo plants than the rest, as they are mild enough that my housemate uses them on a regular basis, so I won't feel bad about leaving plants with her.

I'm also open to suggestions for other varieties. I'd like to have as broad a flavor profile as possible without turning my entire backyard into a pepper garden (not that I would have an issue with this if I owned property, but I don't think my current landlord would appreciate it...)

That's a fine heat and flavor spectrum right there! You've got the high and medium heat covered. For the low end, I'd look at one of the Anaheim types--(Numex Big Jim or Parker or 6-4?) They grow fast and are pretty versatile. And who doesn't admire a big big pod?

.... :cool:

That's a fine heat and flavor spectrum right there! You've got the high and medium heat covered. For the low end, I'd look at one of the Anaheim types--(Numex Big Jim or Parker or 6-4?) They grow fast and are pretty versatile. And who doesn't admire a big big pod?

.... :cool:

Good idea. I use many of the large types in cooking, which are readily available in dried bulk at the international store, but it'd be nice to have some fresh peppers for Mexican recipes.

I think I'm going to try out the plastic bag sprouting method again. It worked fine just sticking the bags on top of my router, but I can probably do all the seeds at once in my housemate's bottom-heated reptile tank. Plus it has a built-in temperature and humidity monitor... a win all across the board.

Guess I'll post a few pics of my overwinters. My housemate forgot to water many of them while I was out of town, so some are looking a bit under the weather (I will wait a bit before declaring them officially dead)... but we'll ignore that for now.

Limon in flower:
IMGP2220.jpg

Aji Amarillo with pod:
IMGP2214.jpg

White Habanero:
IMGP2222.jpg

Rocoto:
IMGP2209.jpg

And a few more of the overwinters from the office. They don't get quite as much light as my carefully-controlled grow closet, but they seem to be doing fine.

Second Rocoto:
IMGP2232.jpg

A recovering Mini-mini:
IMGP2231.jpg

Prik chi fah doing its thing:
IMGP2229.jpg

My lone surviving Datil:
IMGP2225.jpg

Nice job with the O.W.....a little water always does the trick when they're slightly dehydrated.

That's what I like to see with my plants also, the new growth striving for light,...That's a heathly sign

I'm diggin that white hab...... :cool: .......and the PCF looks like its ready to rocket up in all directions......many chili's to be had

good luck with your early start....from your neighbor from the north

Greg

Got a few radicles poking out from my seeds today... on the Aji Amarillo (from last season's crop), Cumari, and Wiri Wiri. I might have accidentally toasted a few of the seeds as I found a hot spot on the heating element, but I have extras if needed.

Well, I have almost 100% germination on my Aji Amarillo seeds from last year's crop, and not much activity yet on anything else. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, as the rest of my early starts are wilds, superhots, and other finicky varieties.

First sprout of the year! Little Aji Amarillo (and yes, I know the peat pellets are terrible, but I'll manage)

IMGP2256.jpg

I see a little radicle poking out of one of Judy's Brain Strain yellows too. Slowly but surely the rest of them are sprouting.

Most recent starts are coming along. I'll probably pot some of them up in a week or so... the ones in the bottom right are all superhots, so I should have enough for my purposes...
IMGP2516.jpg

I started some White Habs earlier for the hell of it, they're getting to be a decent size.
IMGP2510.jpg

Got some poddage on the Limon
IMGP2514.jpg

And the Aji Amarillo
IMGP2515.jpg

I moved the Rocoto into the other room today due to space issues... we'll see if it adjusts to lower light. I open the blinds during the day and it at least gets a few hours of direct light, but this is a plant I had in full shade all year so I don't think it'll be a problem. I just want it to survive through the winter, it can stop growing and flowering any time it feels like...
IMGP2525.jpg

I brought my Datil home from the office to pot up... it has been having a growth spurt lately. Should be just about one year old now, and it's taking to overwintering well so far.

IMGP2570.jpg

I have just over half of my starts potted... I could probably stop at this point but I like having extras just in case. Just means my friends have free seedlings come spring. I'm liking the look of the White Hab... at least, I'm pretty sure it's a White Hab. It's either that or a Datil. Sometimes it's hard to tell dried pods apart...

IMGP2637.jpg

IMGP2638.jpg

That limon is a good looking plant. I started some bonchi plants but had mites on one of them and I tossed them all instead of battling all winter. Good luck with the youngsters and the rest of year.

Everything's started to take off... I'm amused by the one White Hab, its leaves are larger than anything I saw on my plant last year. Then again, I didn't isolate the seeds so it could always be a cross.

IMGP2654.jpg

IMGP2658.jpg

Datil is exploding on me... I'll probably need to prune it back at least once.
IMGP2660.jpg

Limon has started podding like crazy again. There are at least 12 pods going and the plant is tiny... but I guess that's to be expected with Limon.
IMGP2663.jpg

Back