• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2012 Grow Log - THE END!!!!!

Anxious to get dirt under my nails, so I might as well start this thing off.

Got an unfinished basement that is mainly storage. It has an old 1957 bathroom in it. I tore that out today and will be using that as my grow room as soon as I get it done. It is small enough a small heater will keep my temps in check. (Pictures of progress will come once I get it looking better lol)

Last year I built a grow table and this year I am putting up a shelving unit with grow lights on many of the shelves.

My one garden area that will be expanded on this year I believe. 40x30

garden1.jpg

My other garden which is longer, but not as wide.

garden2.jpg

Then I put this row in last year and my thoughts we strawberries, but it might be a row of peppers.

garden3.jpg

Ugggh

rabbit.jpg

My motto is Rabbit eats garden, Gardener eats rabbit. They are the reason I have to fence the gardens
icon_sad.gif

I also plan on doing some peppers in pots this year.

My tray of peppers last year went 71 out of 72 popped. Hope I can get these results this year.

Looks really nice!!
I have converted a downstairs bathroom into a grow room a couple of years ago right after I had my new septic installed. I would have had to build a pumping station if I wanted to keep it then decided upon a grow room instead. I was able to start 700 plants (500 supers) in there last year.

Good luck!!

Nice plot of garden/s for sure, did you add anything to the soil? looks like in the skinny long garden you repaced all the dirt yes?

Wishing you the best of luck for you this year bud, looking forward to watching your grow.

SC

The first garden had black dirt, compost, and a lot of cow chit added.

Garden two is all natural what was there, plus the addition of many years of cow chit.

The one row one had all its material brought in. Good solid black dirt and some cow chit compost. I have about 15 maple trees in my 3 acre yard and all those leaves get composted and added to the gardens as well.

The baby rabbits that I do catch by hand are relocated. I don't eat warm weather rabbits (rabbit fever and all) plus the DNR would spank me. I do plink a few with the 22 in winter. My dogs do quite well catching them, and I don't understand why the rabbits keep coming back to raise young in the yard as the dogs aren't allowed out of the yard without adult supervision...much like me :)

Going to have to make another garden I think. Currently looking at 42 hot varieties and 10 sweets, with some surprises to come. One month from starting the seeds. Gotta get my grow room done by then!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot, I also add wood ashes from my wood burner to the garden as well.

Good luck to all.

Going to have to make another garden I think. Currently looking at 42 hot varieties and 10 sweets, with some surprises to come. One month from starting the seeds. Gotta get my grow room done by then!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot, I also add wood ashes from my wood burner to the garden as well.

Good luck to all.

Nice size garden plots ya have there, great idea with the ash.

Are you planning on "hilling" wide rows for your plants?

Greg

5 days into my Cayenne germ test. I forgot to check yesterday. Really happy about this.

Wrapped the very first grow table I was given with the camp blanket and in no time the temp was 90 degrees. Can fit two 72 cell trays in it. Getting my seeds started shouldn't be too hard.

cayennegermtest.jpg

Not really sure on the number. At least 2 of each variety. Will grow more of the ones I am familiar with then the ones I am just trying out. I will have a row of Nardello, probably a row of jalapeno peppers. Serrano and habs go over well as do the super chili. Just gotta see how much room I end up with. Doubling my pickle production this year so I can make more hot garlic dills. I think I will have containers all over the place :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not sure what you mean by hilling?

Sorry man

Raised, mounded wide rows..made usually with a hoe, where you'd seed or plant with footpaths between them.....I'm sure you know what I mean but you may call it something different

Greg

Yea, I like the wide row / hilled row concept. Great for drainage and walking around.

Cayennes are crazy germinators! Stick in a batch of C. Chinense for your next germ test for another base line.

Off topic: What variety do you recommend for pickle cukes? I've only grown the large slicer types, now ready to try garlic pickle world. I do grow dill--probably more than I want this year. And garlic--yesssss. My secret love beyond peppers.

National Pickling is the only brand I go with. I let them grow up a fence for two reasons. One, my back. And two, they don't take over the garden. Mammoth dill is my preferred brand of dill too. All you need is some vinegar, garlic, kosher salt, and some alum (or in a pinch, pickle crisp). Such a simple thing to make. I let them set in the dark for 6 weeks before I start eating them. The Serrano Tamps were the best pickles so far this time. Excellent flavor. Had a guy at work ask me if he could eat the one I brought to work and left in the fridge, I told him sure. He called me up at home to tell me it was the best pickle he ever ate. Store bought just can't compare!!!

Smaller pickles are much better than the bigger ones. Four inches is about as long as I want them, but prefer them at 3. They stay crispier and take up the flavor better.

WOW. That's some garden space right there! Looks great, can't wait to see those plots of land filled with peppers n veggies this summer. btw those pickles sound to die for. mmmmm. Good luck with your grow year :)

Brandon

Back