• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rudeboys grow log

The circle of life 2012 has begun again for me . Have got some Bombay morich & Dorset naga seedlings at 1 day old . Used a old method of germination using weak tea solution and it worked fantastically ... From soaking to seedling break through in 6 days is pretty impressive I think . Seeds kindly donated from PIC 1 .... Will try and sort out uploading some pictures later . Used a mixture of John innes seeding compost, then mixed some vermiculite into it ...placed in a polystyrene coffee cup ...placed in the seeds and put it into a heated propagator .

Hey Jason,

:cool: ..............good to see your starting up your garden. Sounds like your off to a good start!

Greg

I also use the weak tea solution to soak the seeds. Not totally sure if it helps, but some say the tannins speed the process. Chamomile also supposed to resist dampening off and mold, so I use that sometimes too.

Also, it doesn't count, never happened--- unless you post pix!

Happy Growing..... :cool:

405481_10150514770819704_546184703_8563187_775812205_n.jpg

pic of the little baby seedlings lol

Nice. I guess it really did happen. Can't see your light setup, make sure they get plenty. And good drainage in those cups. And a fan. And next time fill the pots a little higher.

Gad, what a pest I am. What I meant to say is...

...Good growing to you and the little seedbeings.... :cool:

Hey Prodigal son ...thats the reason i didnt fill the cups up to the top , just incase they get too leggy then can add more soil . It worked a treat last year as well for me . Hope your growing goes well for you :)

Nice start, can you give some details about your germination method? 6 days is pretty good indeed :)

Cya

Datil

Well Datil here my method :

Take a used tea bag and make a medium/weak tea solution with it ( I use normal tea bags ,some people use chamomile ones ) . Place your seeds in a labeled re sealable freezer or food bag ...to this add 2 or 3 table spoons of the tea solution ( this has to be warm and not cold ) and then seal . ( the tannin in the tea softens the seed husk for better germination ) . Repeat process for other seeds . You will end up with several pouches of seeds floating in a tea solution . Now take all of these bags and put into 1 large bag and seal it tightly ( expell the air from bag ) so no fluid from next step gets in . Take a thermos flask containing water approximate 50 deg c ....put your parcel of seeds into the thermos flask , seal tightly and store for 12 -14 hours .... Germination taking place inside the warm flask containing the seed parcels housin the seeds floating in tea . Take out 12/14 hrs later and sow as normal . Hope u make sense of this .. If not inbox me and ask what questions you like . :)

Hey Jason,
I'd bet some 151 rum would soften the seed hulls.....ha.....what's up

I like the idea with the tea.....it makes sense and it's organic

Greg

Well Datil here my method :

Take a used tea bag and make a medium/weak tea solution with it ( I use normal tea bags ,some people use chamomile ones ) . Place your seeds in a labeled re sealable freezer or food bag ...to this add 2 or 3 table spoons of the tea solution ( this has to be warm and not cold ) and then seal . ( the tannin in the tea softens the seed husk for better germination ) . Repeat process for other seeds . You will end up with several pouches of seeds floating in a tea solution . Now take all of these bags and put into 1 large bag and seal it tightly ( expell the air from bag ) so no fluid from next step gets in . Take a thermos flask containing water approximate 50 deg c ....put your parcel of seeds into the thermos flask , seal tightly and store for 12 -14 hours .... Germination taking place inside the warm flask containing the seed parcels housin the seeds floating in tea . Take out 12/14 hrs later and sow as normal . Hope u make sense of this .. If not inbox me and ask what questions you like . :)

Very clever, chamomile helps against damping-off too thats why i think some people prefer it.

Thanks and good luck!

Datil

...thats the reason i didnt fill the cups up to the top , just incase they get too leggy then can add more soil . It worked a treat last year as well for me ....

I stand corrected! I guess I do essentially the same thing when I pot up and plant the seedling deeper if it's leggy.

Grow on.... :cool:

Think I drank too much rum lol when sorting the seeds out and putting them in the propagator as I have loads of seedlings coming through . So far most of super hots have come through . Some of the rarer seeds from my friend in states have popped up as well . Happy days ahead I think :) .

Back