• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse One Stop Gardens Greenhouse 6x8 Review

PaulG

Extreme Member
Spring. around May/June:

greenhousepan11a.jpg

Summer in the Back Yard:

DSCN2846a.jpg

I purchased this kit from One Stop Gardens four years ago for $299US from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfre...ouse-47712.html). It is one of the kits I see in the ad bar at the bottom of the page. In general, I have had great success with the kit, although there are a few points I'd like to bring up and see what others have experienced.

The kit's directions were pretty good, although they required careful reading at times. My dad (93 at the time!) and I were able to put the kit itself together in one day, with another day for building the foundation. We used 4"x4" posts laid down on landscape fabric for the frame. They were anchored with 24" pipes driven into the ground and fastened to the frame with brackets. The frame was filled with 3"-4" of half-to-quarter clean gravel for a nice dry and solid floor. I have photos of this project, and would be happy to email anyone pix of any part of the process they are interested in.

Probably the most glaring error was the mistaken measurement of the length of the footprint in the specifications by about 1 and three-quarters inches in the length. After we had completed the foundation frame and the floor frame of the greenhouse they didn't match. This after measuring three times according to the directions, so I know we didn't make an error there. Fortunately, scabbing a 2"x4" onto the end of the foundation frame corrected the problem almost exactly with a bit of routing the edge of the foundation frame. In the end it was a satisfactory solution, and pretty easy fix. The lesson learned is: assemble the floor frame of the kit before you build the foundation so you get the right length/width. Perhaps they have corrected the mistake by now, although I'd be surprised if it has been. The rest of the project went without a hitch. It has proven to be wind-resistant to 35 or 40 mph gusts that we experience on occasion here. Only one time did the wind suck a side panel out, and I happened to be standing there at the time. It was quite a sight to see a 2'x4' poly carbonate panel sailing through the air. Fortunately it landed in our own yard with no damage!

After three winters and four summers, the poly carbonate panels have experienced degradation, especially the roof panels. UV has made them brittle and eaten some holes in them, I have a feeling this is really low grade poly carbonate. When I removed the roof panels to clean them this summer, I had to be careful not to snap them, or even put my finger through one. I think I can eke out one or two more seasons, and then I'll have to replace the roof panels or come up with another kind of covering. I have searched out some suppliers and it looks like about $50US to $150US depending on supplier, and probably, quality of product, not including shipping, to replace if I buy and cut a 4'x8' sheet. I'm open to other solutions as well. I'm not married to polycarbonate panels, although they work well within the above mentioned limitations. Maybe there are other solutions folk on this forum could share.

One more thing I would mention is that the pre-cut roof panels were just about 1/4" too short to really cover their space, so the runoff didn't all go into the gutter. I have a friend with a greenhouse like this and he said the same thing when we compared notes. So I bought a piece of 2" flashing and laid it along the ridge top of the greenhouse. It extended enough to cover the little space between the frame and the panels at the top without interfering with the windows, so I could extend the panels correctly into the gutter. I suppose they were trying to save money but I would have been glad to pay $10 more for the green house and have panels that weren't a quarter inch too short!

All-in-all I would recommend this product if one is handy with tools and has time to tinker a bit. It is by far the most economical 'real' hobby greenhouse kit solution I found after extensive searching. I really didn't want a pvc and plastic sheeting type greenhouse.

I think this could be the answer my wife and I have been looking for. If we need to upgrade the panels in the future then so be it…not a problem. Sometimes we get a few powerful storms that go by with 50+ mph winds and might need to come up with a better way of securing the panels.

Thanks for the post!!

Nice post and wow it's pretty affordable and the old lady will be happy to get her sewing room back

I think this could be the answer my wife and I have been looking for. If we need to upgrade the panels in the future then so be it…not a problem. Sometimes we get a few powerful storms that go by with 50+ mph winds and might need to come up with a better way of securing the panels.

Thanks for the post!!

Glad you found it worthwhile! I guess if you pro rate the $300 over six years, it's a pretty low cost solution. My panel blew out because I didn't have the clips on that particular one spread out enough. The past two winters have seen no problems. Keep me posted on your progress!

Nice post and wow it's pretty affordable and the old lady will be happy to get her sewing room back

Bonus! I'm for anything that keeps my partner happy! Glad you liked the post - thanks.

A great little greenhouse! How solid is the construction? Would it stand up to snow or would it have to be taken down for the winter?

A great little greenhouse! How solid is the construction? Would it stand up to snow or would it have to be taken down for the winter?

Thanks for your interest. It's really a pretty solid little unit. Being an aluminum frame held together with screws there is a slight amount of 'wiggle', but it's negligible. I haven't even had to tighten up the screws since I assembled it in September 2007. We don't have a lot of snow here, but we have had a couple of snow dumps and the greenhouse didn't even notice the load. Another time we had about 3/4 inch of freezing rain and it just melted and slid away eventually. IMHO unless you are going to get a foot of snow at a time, I wouldn't worry - just check to make sure it's okay periodically. I think the main worry would be the weight of a lot of snow pushing the roof Panels through the frame. A thin plywood (or?) cover on the roof would probably take care of that issue. These panels have handled 1/4 inch hail with no problems, as well. Here are some photos of winter 2008 so you can get an idea. This is a lot of snow for us here at 200 feet elevation! Also, we had an extended period of below freezing weather, with lows at night down to 17F. The snow cover insulated the little space, so the heater kept it above freezing, but the plants didn't like it much, especially over-wintering jade plants:

DSCN0632sm.jpg

The table at the left is 4 feet wide, so you can get an idea of the snow depth.

DSCN0641sm.jpg

The little space heater kept the inside relatively warm, that is at 38 or 39F. Notice how the snow is melting off the roof - almost gone at the ridge top.

DSCN0660sm.jpg

This is the back of the greenhouse, facing South, the direction of prevalent wind in our neighborhood.

DSCN0659sm.jpg

The snow melts off and freezes into icicles. One or two eventually reached the ground.

I hope this answers your questions. You probably get a lot more snow in Ontario!

I just bought one and would be interested in more detailed foundation plans. Also, did you add shelving, and how? I live in eastern Washington and will plan to dismantle the greenhouse during summers. Will that be possible?

I bought this one and followed his directions. I zip screwed all my panels fast and bought extra clips. My son loves it. Have patience while building. It is best done with three people.
http://hfgh10x12.blogspot.com/2007/08/this-is-greenhouse-we-bought-link-it.html?m=1

I just bought one and would be interested in more detailed foundation plans. Also, did you add shelving, and how? I live in eastern Washington and will plan to dismantle the greenhouse during summers. Will that be possible?

First, :welcome: from the PacificNorthWest!

I added some benches and a couple of shelves from the same company - the
thin ones that attach to the frame. It would be easy to remove the panels every
year, they just fit in with clips. You could take the frame apart every year as well,
although if you just take the panels out, the frame should winter over fine.

I built the foundation out of 4x4 treated lumber, anchored to the
ground with 2' pipes pounded in and fastened to the frame with
brackets. This was on top of weed block fabric, and filled with
3-4" of half-to quarter clean gravel. Then the bottom frame
was screwed to the foundation frame.

Good luck with your greenhouse. I have been pleased with mine.
Here are some pix.

Digging out the sod and putting down weed block fabric:
DSCN3265a.jpg

The 4x4 frame assembled with brackets and lag screws:
DSCN3275a.jpg

Ready to anchor:
DSCN3278a.jpg

Anchor detail:
DSCN3276a.jpg

Finished foundation:
DSCN3280a.jpg

Bottom frame attached to foundation. Assemble and measure this
frame first before building foundation!:
DSCN3289a.jpg

Assembling frame:
DSCN3297a.jpg

More framing:
DSCN3300a.jpg

Putting in the panels:
DSCN3303a.jpg

Finished greenhouse:
DSCN3304a.jpg

I bought this one and followed his directions. I zip screwed all my panels fast and bought extra clips. My son loves it. Have patience while building. It is best done with three people.
http://hfgh10x12.blo...ink-it.html?m=1
Oh man, Scarrecrw, you got the big one - that is really the one I wanted,
but just didn't have the space. Good luck with your greenhouse;
I have sure liked mine!

Installed new panels in the greenhouse roof; the old ones going on five
years were badly degraded by the sun, very brittle and discolored by
green stains. I was afraid they wouldn't take the snow load this winter.
Here's a pic of an old panel and the replacement. You can see how
bad they had gotten:
DSCN4934a.jpg

Most of the new panels in place:
DSCN4909a.jpg

Looking out through the old panels:
DSCN4912a.jpg

Turns out that these panels are an upgrade; six mm thick
instead of 4mm. Much stiffer. They also have UV coating
on one side, which the cheapies that came with the green-
house didn't have. Will be interesting to see how they last
compared to the originals.

One interesting side note, the window frames will only hold 4mm thick
panels. So, I have to order another piece of 4mm so I can replace the
panels in the roof vent windows. The polycarbonate is easy to work with.
We were able to cut it with a Ryobi battery powered skill saw with a fine
tooth blade. I ordered 2' x 4' sheets; cheaper shipping, and only had to
trim the panels a little. I am going to replace the wall panels as well,
especially the south side ones. I'll use 6mm again - it is so much more
solid than the 4mm. Even the greenhouse frame is stiffer with these panels
in place! It has made a huge difference in the light inside the greenhouse.

I ordered 8 2x4 foot sheets for just under 150 dollars including shipping from
the Greenhouse Megastore. I wish the original kit had this quality of panels,
but for the price five years isn't too bad. I'm hoping for longer life out of these.

Nice project. I put up the 10'X12' earlier this year and have been overall happy with it. We did get some 65 mph gusts this spring and I lost three panels and had to replace them. Like you, I found the replacement panels much higher quality, but the shipping charges on those things cost more than the panels themselves. Fortunately I found a local plastics supplier who had them shipped in at their cost. It was much cheaper that way.

This will be my first winter with it, but I don't plan to overwinter any plants in it. It just gets too cold here. It will be a storage space until late March or so. I need to remember to go pull out the automatic window openers (which only worked for a few weeks) and tie down the windows with some zip ties for the winter.

Nice project. I put up the 10'X12' earlier this year and have been overall happy with it. We did get some 65 mph gusts this spring and I lost three panels and had to replace them. Like you, I found the replacement panels much higher quality, but the shipping charges on those things cost more than the panels themselves. Fortunately I found a local plastics supplier who had them shipped in at their cost. It was much cheaper that way.

This will be my first winter with it, but I don't plan to overwinter any plants in it. It just gets too cold here. It will be a storage space until late March or so. I need to remember to go pull out the automatic window openers (which only worked for a few weeks) and tie down the windows with some zip ties for the winter.
10x12 is a major greenhouse! I think my little 6x8 isn't as affected by wind so much.
I thought the automatic openers looled kind of funky, so just went with the manual
ones instead. Are your winters too cold for using a space heater?

The Greenhouse Megastore shipping wasn't too bad. The panels were about $132m $132.00 and the shipping about $16.00.

This is great Paul, and very timely that this thread popped up. This greenhouse is the one I have been looking at. Even better, turns out we have a local Harbor Freight. I called them yesterday and they indeed have this very greenhouse in stock! Might have to pick it up in the next week or three. ;)

This is great Paul, and very timely that this thread popped up. This greenhouse is the one I have been looking at. Even better, turns out we have a local Harbor Freight. I called them yesterday and they indeed have this very greenhouse in stock! Might have to pick it up in the next week or three. ;)
I think for the money this is the best small greenhouse, about 50%
of the next least expensive one. With a little care and attention to
detail, it goes together pretty easily. I found that studying the direc-
tions and laying everything out first made the job proceed more
smoothly. The fact that they could use more robust panels sort of
sticks in my craw, but $60 a year isn't much to pay for the luxury of
having a little greenhouse. I think a person could just go ahead and
use the thicker panels to begin with. The price still would be less
than the next least expensive one, and you'd have a set of emergency
repair panels left over. Just watch out that the hinged window only
accepts 4mm panels. Perhaps that is no longer the case in the newer kits.

Good luck getting your kit and getting it together, Brent!

Wow, I screwed up and wrote my bank balance instead. My bad :lol:

HA HA HA. Thats it. Paul, I am on my way with adoption papers in hand. Hoping you will sign them when I knock on the door.

In on topic news...

I am glad that it held up for you. I have been thinking about one for these for a while now and usually around Christmas till the first of the year you can find them with like 100-150 bucks off and free shipping coupons all over the place. Maybe worth it now that I know it will last at least a few season. Thanks.

Back