Greetings from a New England Kimchi nut

Hi All
Just checking in from Greenfield, MA, where I am planning my garden for the coming growing season. I am a nut for Korean food, and have been growing the vegetables for and making Kimchi for a couple of years now. I've never actually been to Korea, but my uncle came back from a posting there with a Korean wife, and the food she shared with us really hit the spot with me. I also enjoy other cuisines that use chilies, like Thai, Szechuan, Mexican/Central American, Middle Eastern and Italian. I don't have a large garden space but the sandy soil here is perfect for peppers, tomatoes and eggplant. Last year I planted six Korean pepper plants and grew enough to make a pint of dried pepper flakes... enough for eight quarts of Kimchi. I'd like to network with other folks from New England who grow chilies to share observations and growing tips. Cheers!

Hi SicMan! I notice a similarity in usernames, but mine is a reference to that idiot standing in a river waving a stick (me and my fly rod). I hear you're having Tshirt weather down in FLA

peruvian-hot-pepper-called-aji-a2854b.jpg
Greeting from Korea- 안녕하세요 ㅏㅜ헣귇휴ㅣㅠ ㅣㅠ'ㅠㄱ;ㄱ/;

:welcome: from Oregon. Good luck hooking up with your New England neighbors!

:welcome: from NC. Recently I was in DC and I REALLY wanted to try Korean BBQ. So I asked a few locals and they pointed me in the right direction. I headed to N. Va and next thing I know is I am in Korea Town and cant read any signs. I realized I made it to the right place when I recognized the cartoon pig from their website. I walked in and they looked at me crazy and I just picked a seat. The waitress came and I pointed and she brought me food. And it was amazing. I dont even know what I ate but I swear I felt freaking great leaving there. Cant wait to get some again.

stickman you are right its t-shirt weather! my name comes from when i was a liitle sic bastard. and i grew up so ive been sicman for many years. enjoy your trip here at t.h.p.,its the only site i even mess with!!

Hi MGOLD86, If you can get your head around eating squid.. try Korean pan fried squid (Ojingo Bokeum). It's vegetables and squid cut up into bite sized pieces, minced ginger and garlic, toasted sesame oil and a red pepper paste called gochu jang that's made of red pepper powder, malt, rice powder, fermented soybean powder and salt.
I also like using gochu jang to season shredded chicken or pork in burritos. Cheers

Back