• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

resiniferatoxin: one thousand times hotter than capsaicin...scoville rating: 16 billion

I was in one of my "drill down" moods and thought I would share this with you.

The Scoville scale may be extrapolated to express the pungency of substances that are even hotter than pure capsaicin. One such substance is resiniferatoxin, an alkaloid present in the sap of some species of euphorbia plants (spurges). Since it is 1000 times as hot as capsaicin, it would have a Scoville scale rating of 16 billion.
Yes, thats right, ghost peppers are nothing, 16 billion folks, read on...
Resiniferatoxin (RTX) is a naturally occurring, ultrapotent capsaicin analog[1] that activates the vanilloid receptor in a subpopulation of primary afferent sensory neurons involved in nociception (the transmission of physiological pain).
Scientists are using this stuff injected in experimental settings to treat severe pain for advanced cancers:
This study will examine the safety of giving the experimental drug, resiniferatoxin (RTX), to treat severe pain in patients with advanced cancer. RTX is a chemical extracted from a cactus-like plant. It is similar to capsaicin, the active ingredient in hot pepper. RTX has relieved pain and reduced the need for pain medication in several animal experiments. It works by destroying nerves that transmit pain information.
The study in National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC) in the link above is worth reading and is currently active seeking participants. They outline the escalating protocols used in the trials, and the eligibilty requirements to qualify for treatment.

That is my drill down contribution for today, feeling ambitious today for some reason, and the result may be worthwhile to those who know of someone with advanced cancers. Sadly, I know more than a few of those who do.

Ghosty... :(

It works by destroying nerves that transmit pain information.
I don't think you want to mess with that stuff unless you absolutely have to, xykon. Having your nerves destroyed (or even just blocked) is pretty serious business. My brother had a friend who got a spinal block for a medical condition. He didn't feel it when the chainsaw he was using slipped in his hands a bit - gashed his leg and he ended up bleeding to death.

I don't think you want to mess with that stuff unless you absolutely have to, xykon. Having your nerves destroyed (or even just blocked) is pretty serious business. My brother had a friend who got a spinal block for a medical condition. He didn't feel it when the chainsaw he was using slipped in his hands a bit - gashed his leg and he ended up bleeding to death.
Geeme,
did you ever think i was being sarcastic?

xykon

Woah ~ that's no joke. If a human can hardly handle 1.4m scoville of a butchT without wanting to cry, imagine taking this!!! It would be instant black out.

Kidding around is fine, but I thought I would contribute a dose of reality, just in case there are some who are truly crazy.

Resiniferatoxin

ACUTE HEALTH EFFECTS SWALLOWED
Toxic effects may result from the accidental ingestion of the material; animal experiments indicate that ingestion of less than 40 gram may be fatal or may produce serious damage to the health of the individual. The material can produce severe chemical burns within the oral cavity and gastrointestinal tract following ingestion. Mucous membranes throughout the gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus may be temporarily irritated by ingestion of capsaicin. In addition to irritation, diarrhea and vomiting may occur. Capsaicinoids may produce severe gastritis and diarrhoea. Intragastric infusion of powdered red chillies (0.8 and 1.6 g per hour) caused a rapid and marked increase in the DNA content of the gastric aspirate, indicating exfoliation of the epithelial cells from the gastric mucosa.

EYE
The material can produce severe chemical burns to the eye following direct contact. Vapors or mists may be extremely irritating. If applied to the eyes, this material causes severe eye damage.

SKIN
The material can produce severe chemical burns following direct contact with the skin. Skin contact with the material may damage the health of the individual; systemic effects may result following absorption. Researchers applied 0.8 g of gel containing 0.075% of capsaicin to the skin of six human volunteers for 8 hours of exposure. They then calculated the average absorbed dose as 22.65 ug/cm2 with a standard deviation of 3.73 ug/cm2. Topical application of pure capsaicin to the skin of mice resulted in peak plasma concentrations occurring 4 to 12 hours later, and capsaicin was detectable in the blood 24 hours after dosing. Doses of 5.12 mg/mouse/week led to maximum plasma concentrations of 51.5 ng/ml in male and 84.8 ng/ml in female mice Capsaicin,caused erythema and burning, but not vesication when applied to the skin Administration may cause intense pain in humans and experimental animals. Prolonged treatment causes insensitivity to painful stimuli. In new-born rats it induces selective degeneration of certain primary sensory neurones which mediate chemogenic pain. The material is a vesicant causing blistering on contact.
Open cuts, abraded or irritated skin should not be exposed to this material. Entry into the blood-stream, through, for example, cuts, abrasions or lesions, may produce systemic injury with harmful effects. Examine the skin prior to the use of the material and ensure that any external damage is suitably protected.

INHALED
The material can cause respiratory irritation in some persons. The body's response to such irritation can cause further lung damage.
Inhalation of dusts, generated by the material during the course of normal handling, may produce serious damage to the health of the
individual. Capsaicin temporarily causes bronchoconstriction, coughing, nausea, and incoordination in the upper body in humans following inhalation. Capsaicin administered in a nasal spray resulted in human volunteers experiencing greatly increased nasal discharge and lacrimation, and burning sensation. Persons with impaired respiratory function, airway diseases and conditions such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis, may incur further disability if excessive concentrations of particulate are inhaled.

CHRONIC HEALTH EFFECTS
Repeated or prolonged exposure to corrosives may result in the erosion of teeth, inflammatory and ulcerative changes in the mouth and necrosis (rarely) of the jaw. Bronchial irritation, with cough, and frequent attacks of bronchial pneumonia may ensue. Gastrointestinal disturbances may also occur. Chronic exposures may result in dermatitis and/or conjunctivitis.
Long-term exposure to respiratory irritants may result in disease of the airways involving difficult breathing and related systemic problems. There has been some concern that this material can cause cancer or mutations but there is not enough data to make an assessment. Limited evidence suggests that repeated or long-term occupational exposure may produce cumulative health effects involving organs or biochemical systems.

Ghosty... :crazy:

Fascinating!
That does sound like pretty nasty stuff.
One of my Euphorbias (deceased *tear*) had some nasty stuff in it (I assume the same).
I pricked myself badly one day and felt pretty bloody average for an hour or so.

Back