More than 80 Hot varieties Pepper

nice web site and design and and layout---congradulations for a job well done.

Some of the lawyers here have a hardon for Pictures---they think that pointing and clicking is some kind of effort or art---I think they are full of it. Dont worry about using pics unless they are copyrighted.

There is nothing as worth less as a lawyer.

Hmmmmm....not sure I appreciate this comment too much, but everyone has an opinion. So kind of like if the keys are in the ignition of another person's Porsche 911, why not take it for a ride? :) It's not like they developed the car, they just paid for it.

I'm not accusing anyone of taking anything as I don't know or can't verify it. I'm just referring to the comment made on the topic.

Chris

Some of the lawyers here have a hardon for Pictures---they think that pointing and clicking is some kind of effort or art---I think they are full of it. Dont worry about using pics unless they are copyrighted.

Balac,
U.S. Copyright law states that the person who created the picture, clicked the shutter, etc, is the owner of that photograph. Using someone else's photography as your own leaves you open to a lawsuit.

FYI

Got this one wrong buddy. It isn't the lawyers, it is the person who took the photos. You are entitled to your own opinion, but come on man, how would you like it if you photographed something only to find it on someone elses website without credit to you.

The photographer still owns the copyright unless that photographer just happens to be the employee of the subject. Some photographers may "sell" the copyright to you but if that is not part of the contract, they still own it legally.

That doesn't mean that they can use your picture to sell for a profit. It may be used in their portfolio or presented in a show but can not be sold unless the subject agrees and signs a contract. If that were the case, then a monetary compensation is traditonally owed to the subject.

Agree with mikeinsc 100%.

Balac, the idea that if an picture is not "copyrighted" it is "fair game" is a common misconception, but it is incorrect. Many, many years ago, it used to be that you had to include a copyright notice in order to gain copyright protection for a work. But that law was changed a long time ago, long before web sites even existed! Currently, the text and pictures on a web site are copyrighted the instant they are created, a copyright notice is no longer required.

Nor is just giving someone "credit" good enough - you have to actually get their explicit permission, technically, to get them to issue you a "license" to use it. ;)

Like Mike indicated, absent some very specific exceptions, the person who created the work is also automatically the copyright owner. They can then "assign" (transfer) those rights completely (or just some of them), or simply "license" use of the work, while still retaining some control over their own creative work (such as to prevent misuse).

Not again dude
Although you don't seem to appreciate photography, some of us do, and you should know the current laws before advising someone to do illegal acts. Some of us do have hard-ons for our pics because they are our property and we like to use them as we see fit and not have them continuously stolen for someone else's gain. I personally think there is a lot of art in photography, its not just point and click as you suggest, but I'm sure you know that. If all posted pics were free for all as you seem to think, nobody would be posting any good pics. Do you mind if I steal your avatar pic to sell my products?

Sorry to be contributing to the de-railment of this thread

It raises a red flag for me. Why does someone need to steal pictures of something they sell? Maybe it doesn't bother some people, but for me it is enough to not purchase a thing from them.

I think he was just trying to make a point

On da (deviant art) its not unheard of people "stealing" and re-posting outhers works that they didnt even ask for first then that post getting more attention then the first the person that actually MADE whatever it was

I've also heard a story or 2 of something or another being taken and run up as postcards or whatever and the artist that put them on da getting ZERO credit not even getting ASKED about using there work first

I (as an artist and photographer --my usernames on there are jodeecmptrwiz and crystal-biyu ) think that it's a serious issue and I would prefer to use all my own pictures and packs that I have designed myself apart from the shape

As for the site itself I only clicked the last link on my iPhone 4 s with a screen as dull as it will go (could go on why I do it) but personally I think the black and orange is an eye sore (ok it actually hurt my eyes) it could be just that page or whatever --I would also like to know what languages those are in?

FIFY! http://youtu.be/XZ5TajZYW6Y

Not sure you would feel the same if pictures of your girlfriend/wife were going around the net! :eek:

Back