#1 pileiton

pileiton

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,592 posts
  • aka:ChicaBOOM!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Heat level 5. Chunky. States on jar that this is a medium heat which seems accurate. Burns on the front half of the tongue and a slighter burn in the back of the throat.. So far I have only tried straight from the jar. Nice fruit flavor. First pepper isn't until the 6th ingredient. Has green chile peppers, jalapenos and habaneros.
I'm too groggy to think!

#2 ram222

ram222

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

I heard its good on top of burgers, and grill a piece of mango to top it off

#3 finitejest

finitejest

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

I like it. It's got a bit of zip but friendly enough to share with friends. Great flavour.

Just picked up Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa last night. It's pretty tasty! Not as hot as I would have guessed, but definitely on the hotter side of any salsa I've seen in a big-box store. I'm glad the flavour is good.

#4 BlogBoy

BlogBoy

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

I gotta try this. Probably not that spicy for me, but still sounds good.

#5 Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

I've had it a few times, along with their bhut version, and kicked up the heat with some smoked powder. Love the base flavor and without a heat increase it works for the whole family.

Solid product. :dance:

-Peter

#6 Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,615 posts
  • aka:Hot Sauce Guy

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

My local Big Lots has this now @ $1.60 a jar, which seems like a bargain. This one's a "hot". Really nice bite to it heat-wise and like the flavor quite a bit.

Agree with folks here - this is a winner. Very solid product. At that price I'm gonna run back to Big Lots & stock up.

#7 HH81Betterhalf

HH81Betterhalf

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • aka:HH81B or Betterhalf or PC

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

We have a jar we bought a while back still haven't tried it. Hopefully on the husband's next day off we can share some finally.
Megan :) aka Habanero Heat 81's betterhalf! The sane half.....

#8 biscgolf

biscgolf

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

My local Big Lots has this now @ $1.60 a jar, which seems like a bargain. This one's a "hot". Really nice bite to it heat-wise and like the flavor quite a bit.

Agree with folks here - this is a winner. Very solid product. At that price I'm gonna run back to Big Lots & stock up.

big lots in our area has had various mrs renfro's products on the shelf consistently for ages- good stuff at good prices.
"my mind, it ain't so open... that anything can crawl right in"- magazine

#9 Dr Pacheco

Dr Pacheco

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

This stuff is good and, more importantly, it's available within a short drive (at least in the DFW Metroplex). But, having gone through "Zestfest" a few weeks ago... there are some seminal products that aren't yet within reach. You can get sweettoheat.com on-line, but again, the damn shipping charges.

#10 etothepii

etothepii

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

I just got Mrs. Renfro's Habenero sauce from Odd Lots. Tastes pretty good. Nice smokiness to it. The jar says hot. Probably accurate for the non-pepper head general public. But it isn't really that hot.

I guess I'd say it is a solid salsa for the price, but not an "Oh my gosh, I got to have it" kind of sauce.

#11 Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

I just got Mrs. Renfro's Habenero sauce from Odd Lots. Tastes pretty good. Nice smokiness to it. The jar says hot. Probably accurate for the non-pepper head general public. But it isn't really that hot.

True, but it's 1/4 the cost of and 5X the flavor of that crappy Guy Fieri's 5 pepper sauce. That stuff's as spicy as ketchup. Renfro's actually has a good kick & lingering heat. Nothing ridiculous of course but unlike Fieri's I don't question whether they really put hot peppers in it.

#12 etothepii

etothepii

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

True, but it's 1/4 the cost of and 5X the flavor of that crappy Guy Fieri's 5 pepper sauce. That stuff's as spicy as ketchup. Renfro's actually has a good kick & lingering heat. Nothing ridiculous of course but unlike Fieri's I don't question whether they really put hot peppers in it.

LOL!!!! Now I want to try Guy's just to see how bad it is!!!

#13 pileiton

pileiton

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,592 posts
  • aka:ChicaBOOM!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

See my review!
I'm too groggy to think!

#14 Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

LOL!!!! Now I want to try Guy's just to see how bad it is!!!

I love the comment "if they put habaneros in it they must have waived them over the vat" baaahahahaha - I think that was in Pi's review topic. :cheers:

#15 biscgolf

biscgolf

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

fieri=tool
"my mind, it ain't so open... that anything can crawl right in"- magazine

#16 gnslngr

gnslngr

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

I tried a jar before I left the house this trip-....being the incessant recipe tweaker...I tossed a few Fatalii's and choc habs in it, warmed it in the microwave
(then ofcourse-fresh cilantro ;)!!!
.........and its taste is like nothing you would expect to find at that price!!sssshhhhh, or they will jack the price up!Review was spot on!
www.lonesurvivorfoundation.org
"A gov't big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have.";"DO THE RIGHT THING"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users