• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Frankenstein

So this is my 4th attempt at a sauce. I'm having issues with sauces.....I'm really not up to the challenge of explaining so I will post the recipe and pics and you can decide.

2 Cucumbers
3/4 of a decent size carrot
3 golden delicious apples (skinned)
1/2 cup Vidalia onion (simmered with the apples until clear)
roughly 25-30 small to med. habaneros (diced)
1 cup lemon juice (part of this cup is the juice of one squeezed orange as well)
1 1/2 TBS Fresh Dill
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil (used with sauteing the apples/onions

I had this amazing idea for what it would taste like..........whah whah whaaaaaaaaaaah

It's not bad but there is this really strong bite to it and I don't think it is the ph level. I'm really leaning towards to many habaneros???? I'll let the THP decide.

IMG_0117.jpg

I'd leave out the cucs as they don't really add much more than water and I much prefer lime juice over lemon. Not sure if I'm feelin' the dill. Other than that I don't think its a bad recipe.

I'd start with everything from the onion on - then add the fruits and veggies one at a time - start with a small amount and keep adding until you reach your desired flavor. That way you can determine how much of each to add for flavor.
Or split out some of the base and add each of the other ingredients to see if they are even worth using.

IMHO, first I'd not use any oil. Add all the ingredients to a pot but the juice and dill. Add orange juice and some water to it and bring it to a boil for 15 minutes then reduce it to a simmer for 30 minutes. Run it all though the blender and back to the pot. Add only enough Lemon / Lime juice to bring the ph down to the desired level, 1 cup just sounds like too much, and then dill to taste. I think the bite your getting is from too much lemon juice and it shouldn't take a cup to bring the ph down.

Hi mate, I’m new here, and fairly green to sauce making. Looking at your photo, It appears that you have shaken the front 3 bottles in preparation for the pic, I would assume that is because one of your issues is separation? I agree with texas blues, remove the Cucumbers or at least reduce the amount, try adding something with a lower juice and higher fiber content. Can I suggest trying some avocado, it may also stabilize your PH level.

Back