• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheAmatureGreenThumb Glog... 2012

Alright guys this is my first year growing more then just a Ghost Pepper or Bhut Jolokia. Got a new ghetto grow light set up and working daily to make it better and learning along the way. So please comment let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if you like what you see. Thanks everyone you guys are awesome and I Love this website. Now for the photos.

Oh wait my varieties this year. (Still working on getting more types)

1. Bhut Jolokia
2. White Bhut Jolokia
3. White Habanero
4. Orange Habanero
5. Poinsettia
6. Anaheim
7. Ancho
8. Long Slim Red Cayenne
9. Jalapeno M
10. Hungarian Wax
11. Sweet Banana
12. Orange Sun Sweet Pepper
13. California Wonder Sweet Pepper
14. Golden California Wonder Sweet Pepper
15. Purple Beauty Sweet Pepper
16 Diamond Sweet Pepper

photo14.jpg

These are two Long Slim Red Cayennes with a little yellowy white mold.

photo16.jpg

Another Two LSR Cayenne

photo15.jpg

Jalapeno... One of my best pepper plants I've ever had.

photo17.jpg

This was my Ghetto Heat Mat.

photo18.jpg

And this is my new upgrade.

photo19.jpg

This is their caregiver & protector. Shes pretty awesome.

photo20.jpg

My Plan-o-gram.

photo21.jpg

Bhut Jolokia from last year and the only two peppers that set. Again I'm new at this. So hopefully I'll get some more this year.

photo22.jpg

A closer look at the pods. I think they're about 2 weeks old or so.

Thanks for reading guys I'll keep you up to date on how it goes. And please if you notice anything I should try or change please let me know. Thanks for all the input ahead of time. Keep Growing!!!

Looks good man. Could you get a close up pic of that White Bhut? I haven't seen many that look (at least from this distance) that white. Pretty sic homie.

Matt

Lookin good, nice list. I would try and get more light there lookin a lil leggy. why don't ya have them outside, gonna be 80's... Where in Orl are ya... casselberry here.

@S.S. Tupperware Nice. I'm in the Waterford area. I don't really have a yard to stick them in. For now that is. The "Bhut" was just an experiment to see if I could actually grow one in the little room that I have and with the little light I have. But now that I have a new make shift grow light and I think I'll be working on a grow box/room today and hopefully that will help me keep them from getting to leggy.

I say "Bhut" cause I bought the seeds off amazon and I'm still not a 100% sure that these are Bhut Jolokias. (Last Time I Buy Seed off Amazon or EBay)

photo23.jpg

They just don't have the pointy tip and bumps like a lot of the pictures I've seen.

These are just regular Bhut Jolokia peppers too not the white. The white ones I got from someone on THP. I can't remember who. but I'm excited to try those this year. I already have some Orange Hab. hooks too. Only took 4 days. Last year I had about a 20% germ. rate this year is looking a lot better already.

photo25.jpg

Don't know if you can see them very well with my Phones camera but those 3 white spots are the hooks. :D

Keep Grown'

Alright add Red & Yellow Habs & Coyame to the list just found them at the Home improvement store today.

photo26.jpg

I was also wonder if anyone has used Bonnie's Plant Food. Here's a pic so you know what I'm talking about. I was just wondering if you have used it and how your experience was with it.

photo27.jpg

I like the tomato tone products... they work well for me. I have loads started and will have to cull in 3-4 weeks so i will have some extras if ya want um...

Alright I seem to be having a gnat problem in my house now. I'm guessing cause of the organic soil mix I'm using. Do any of you guys have a quick fix on how to get rid of this little bastards??

They're all up in my face man!!! lol.

@S.S. Tupperware I'm liking your Glog sir. Can wait to see what you're going to product this season.

As far as the gnats,....get some yellow sticky cards. That helps to cut down on the amount.
Also if your pots are in trays try to bottom water. The gnats seem to migrate around the the top of the moist soil. Once my plants are established I try to keep the top of the soil dry.
Others here may suggest a chemical spray for the soil. I haven't had to use any but someone will chime in with an answer.

Feel fortunate not to have White Flies or Aphids, those can be damaging on a large scale.

Greg

Alright guys so things are really moving along. My Orange Habs are looking pretty good. Can't wait for my Yellow & Red Habs to start hooking. Anyways here's a few pics for all of you to see.

photo33.jpg

Orange Habs

photo30.jpg

Babies are growing up so fast. Working on the plans for a grow box now... And waiting for my Home Depot gift card. :-/

photo29.jpg

Another shot of the little guys.

photo31.jpg

From the Middle to the right Cayenne and the back I believe are either more Cayennes or Jalapenos. Front is my Jalapeno looking nice and dark.

photo32.jpg

And just cause I feel like it this is my Tomatillo Plant. Looking good so far.

I'll keep you updated and show you guys my new grow box once I finish it.

Edit: Typos

Alright guys I finally got my Home Depot gift card in the mail so I put together my Ghetto Light box. Its not completed yet cause I still need to insulate it with some reflective material. Any suggestions on a good one??

photo34.jpg

Basic Frame.

photo36.jpg

These holes in the back are for my temporary light set up till I get my 2ft 4-Bulb T5 High Output Grow Light Fixture
http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Indoor-Lighting-Specialty-Lighting-Plant-Lights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvu9/R-202985194/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Anyone know if this one is a good product or if its worth it??

photo35.jpg

And here is my temporary light set up. I'm not a wiring expert and I didn't want to burn my place down so I just picked these up.
seem to be working out well.

As far as the gnats,....get some yellow sticky cards. That helps to cut down on the amount.
Also if your pots are in trays try to bottom water. The gnats seem to migrate around the the top of the moist soil. Once my plants are established I try to keep the top of the soil dry.
Others here may suggest a chemical spray for the soil. I haven't had to use any but someone will chime in with an answer.

Feel fortunate not to have White Flies or Aphids, those can be damaging on a large scale.

Greg

Hey if the Gnats are my only problem this year I will T-Bow a thank you to God. lol I'm starting the bottom watering now thanks Greg and I also picked up some fly paper. These little buggers are going down.

Putthem outside, it's warm enough, and they'll probably migrate on...

I don't have a yard at the moment. So I'll be moving them to the Father In-laws back yard shortly we just haven't gotten the raise bed garden set up yet. Still measuring things out for the new patio and stuff then to the garden.

S.S. Your Yellow Bhuts are looking pretty sweet!!!

Great watching your project develop.
Should be a first class grow box!

As for reflective material, maybe you could just start with aluminum foil.
It's cheap and will last a long time. A layer of foil covered corrugated
cardboard as a liner would have some insulating as well as reflective quality.

Alright here is a quick little update.

I have a lot of transplanting to do so there will be a bigger update in the near future. Also I'll be getting a new 2Ft 4 Bulb T5 Grow Light soon and I can't wait to see the growth after I get that. :D Happy Super Bowl Everyone.

photo37.jpg

My Orange Habs.

photo38.jpg

Long Thin Cayenne Peppers

photo39.jpg

And my Jalapenos.

Really making great progress there, GT! Lovin' the photos :cool:
How many days along since sprouting are your cayennes and jalapenos?
Have you finished your grow box, yet?

Alright here is another set of pictures for you guys. A did some transplanting and I just couldn't finish it. I'm so weak... lol

photo41.jpg

Some of the tools I used. Wish I had the wire PaulG has for transplanting. Paul you need to mass produce those. haha

photo40.jpg

That's right I use a drill. Got to make sure they're in there nice and tight.

photo43.jpg

And here is a shot of the root ball I was working with.

photo42.jpg

And here is another nude photo for you pervs. :P

Really making great progress there, GT! Lovin' the photos :cool:
How many days along since sprouting are your cayennes and jalapenos?
Have you finished your grow box, yet?

I don't know the exact number of days on the Cayennes and Jalapenos. Sorry, I'm keeping better track of the other peppers now though.
The grow box is still in the works cause I'm waiting on another Home Depot gift card. So I can get my 2ft 4 bulb T5 Grow Light. (Cashing in on my credit card rewards points :D) PG I'm liking your Glog sir. Can't wait to see more.

Ok guys here is a quick look at all the transplanting I still have to do. Also I finally got two or three more pods that have set on my "Bhut".

photo45.jpg

All this is growing with a 2ft 2 bulb T5 (Blue Spec) and one reading light (Red Spec) my blooming Jalapeno and Cayenne.

photo47.jpg

This is everything that I didn't transplant yet. Peppers and Tomatoes. Still waiting on my gift card so I can get my new T5 light.

photo44.jpg

And I just thought this looked amazing so I thought I would share.

I'm really excited about whats already growin' this season.

Anyways quick question for every one...

On average how long does it take for a pepper to ripen?? (Hot and Super Hot)

Back