• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding breeder !!

Hi all ...I'm searching for the best breeder LOL i want to know who sell the best seed cause i'm searching for some strain but dont want to buy seeds (not open pollinated one)

Why don't you want open pollinated? If you plan to save seed for yourself, open pollinated varieties are the ones that are going to breed true. since hybrids are crosses, they don't breed true.

There are certainly companies that have better reputations than others; but nowadays so many large companies out source at least part of their seed production, it's sometimes very difficult to know the exact source.

He wants something isolated, not open pollinated. All I can say is avoid Reimers, and Pepperjoes also has a bad reputation. I've had good luck with tomatogrowers.com

POTAWIE said:
He wants something isolated, not open pollinated. All I can say is avoid Reimers, and Pepperjoes is all open pollinated. I've had good luck with tomatogrowers.com

Ok, confusion of terms.

Open pollinated doesn't mean "allowed to cross pollinate". All plants that are not hybridized or otherwise artificially pollinated are considered to be open pollinated. I think the term you're looking for is certified, not open pollinated. Certified seed meets certain basic standards for purity and viability as defined and certified by a recognized authority, like the USDA here in the US.

ok ...lol well ...I'm not able to explain myself :mouthonfire: I mean if I buy some red savina seed for example,I dont want to recieve the seed of a cross of red savnia with jalapeno or any pepper I want to buy or get the real thing !!LOL

POTAWIE said:
Open pollinated is Pollination by the wind, insects, birds or animals, not by human manipulation.

Open pollinated is also defined as non-hybrid plants produced by crossing two parents from the same variety, which in turn produce offspring just like the parent plants.*

Either way, "Open pollinated" does not mean the seed produced is not pure. There are various ways that producers do that; and I believe they can divided into distance isolation, time isolation, or mechanical isolation.

*"Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth

I guess a whole lot of us seed traders misuse the term "open pollinated" but at least we know what each other is talking about.:) I get at least one seed request a week asking if my seeds are open pollinated or isolated.

POTAWIE said:
I guess a whole lot of us seed traders misuse the term "open pollinated" but at least we know what each other is talking about.:) I get at least one seed request a week asking if my seeds are open pollinated or isolated.

Well, that's why it's useful to define terms so we all know we're talking about the same thing. If QuebecFire asked a commercial breeder about open pollination, he might be a bit confused when the breeder proudly answered that all of his stock was open pollinated. Open pollination is considered a Good Thing (tm) in the heirloom vegetable business, and isn't related to seed purity at all.

Back