• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sharpen the axe......

OK. Planning to over winter 4-5 choice plants in soil under flourescents.

How far back do you hack them?

Remove unripe pods?

Fertilize?

Thanks.

I have no good advice on this subject, but why cut unripe pods off ? I'd leave them on & hope they ripen & once no more pods are forming then put the plant into winter mode.

Good Q Cheezy --- Temps are getting cooler and not long till there is a frost -- but today it will be in 90's in CT --- Welcome to New England

Yeah GO GLOBAL WARMING!! (Just kidding)

My peppers are loving it. 90? in OCT???? In NEW ENGLAND?????

That is freakish here in Ky, well south of you. I am ready for it to cool off.

Chilehunter: I assumed that pods would rob the plant of energy needed to survive the winter. I will be under flourescents, not in a nice sunny window.

This a tepin cut back to 4-5" overall. This plant grew back nicely.

tepin1.jpg

Wow!! How long did you have to keep it in? I am probably looking at 6 months or so. You strip the roots? Did you put it in soil?

Thats the pic I was talking about Cheezy -- Thanks Willard -- You know of course the Q's will be flying now!!

I have seen bulbs stored like that, but I am frankly surprised that a plant would last like that for more than a couple of months.

OK willard, I researched a little bit. So you put that thing immediately into a hydro set up. Did you then put it back in soil the next spring?

I have been told by a chile grower here in KC that you need to remove the pods within 2 weeks or it will rob the plant of nutrients. He also waters sparingly, and includes molasses 1 oz. in 1 gallon of water. The molasses he claims not only helps keep the microherd alive in his containers, but is rapidly absorbed and utilized by the plant. He also uses Alaska fish ferts, 1/8 teaspoon every other month, mostly to keep his microherd alive. His plants were producing by May 5th this year, mostly Scotch Bonnets and Savinas, but also a couple other types. This will be my first year trying to overwinter, and the main problem I will have is container size. Both of the plants I want to bring in are in 12 gallon containers, but produced over 600 peppers of outstanding quality. One of them is a hybrid of Red Savina, Scotch Bonnet. I plan on crossing this to A Bhut J. this next year and growing out the new hybrids until next fall.

Back