• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Longest chile competition

I see that at least 3 other chile forums are having longest chile competitions this season so I thought I'd see if there is any interest here. Remember this is for fun and we don't need any arguments so we'll need to discuss a few basic rules.
Anybody interested?

Whatever you think will be the longest
With 1 of the other forums its only Whippet's tail/Joe's long/Pinnocchio's nose but why not let the grower choose.
My longest ever was a Whippet's tail around 33cm although I can't remember exact measurements

I have some Joe's Long laying around I believe. That would work for me but I do like the idea of leaving it open. It would be nice to see someone come out of nowhere with a foot long Chocolate Bhut. Or at least I can dream haha.

Count me out but I would love to follow. I think you should make the winner be part of the contest rather than open game so we can follow the develpment of the chili!

It would be cool to distribute seeds from this years winning pod for next years competition. After several years we may develope a giant.

I'm really hoping some of my "Whippet's tail X Chinese 5 color" crosses have more length to them this generation. Big Jim never grows very big for me, big chile hybrid seems to grow much bigger in my environment. I think the Guinness record is still the BigJim recorded at 13.5 inches(34.3 cm) but I've seen Whippet's tails around or over 34cm.
The problem with the Whippet's tail is they usually curl up which makes it very hard to measure accurately and fairly

i'll play.

i'm surprised the guiness record isn't considerably longer. i had long thin cayennes last year that were easily 12 inches with no special treatment.

Sounds good Potawie. So we choose the species we want, what kind of timeline are we looking at? New plants only, no overwinters? Germ date no earlier than xxxxx and harvested by xxxxx? I had quite a few Big Jims 10-11in easy and I basically neglected those plants. I'm game =)

I don't like a lot of rules, how about just largest pod with no start or finish day and see if someone can beat the Guinness record? We can keep it ongoing with a "current champ", this way we can see what the Ozzies and others are doing in our winter. I doubt anyone has any overwintered plants and even if they do, bring it on as far as I'm concerned. I'm always open to ideas if this isn't to everyone's liking, I just need feedback

I'm in, as long as there's someone that can regulate and distribute the seed (just to make sure the seed has the same source).

Back