• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Rub Varieties

To all my BBQ Brethen and Sistren a list of rubs for Fowl, Swine and Beast

Feel free to add to what I miss -- I found these as a Top 11 and have used in the past ---

Kansas City Rib Rub

In Kansas City they know ribs. This is the barbecue rub recipe for traditional Kansas City-style ribs. Finish them off with a good barbecue sauce and you'll have a fantastic meal.
INGREDIENTS:
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup paprika
• 1 tablespoon black pepper
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon cayenne
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients together and transfer to an air tight container.

Memphis Style

In Memphis, ribs are traditionally served up dry. This doesn't mean that the meat is tough and dried out, there just isn't a barbecue sauce. This traditional Memphis barbecue rub recipe is the base of a great rack of pork ribs.
INGREDIENTS:
• 4 teaspoons paprika
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoons onion powder
• 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoons cayenne
PREPARATION:
Mix ingredients together. Store in an airtight container. Spread evenly on prepared ribs that have been patted dry and let sit until the rub appears moist.

Basic Pork Rub

This classic pork rub is perfect for smoked pork roasts. This rub recipe is a particular favorite for pulled pork.
INGREDIENTS:
• 1/4 cup black pepper
• 1/4 cup paprika
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 2 teaspoons dry mustard
• 2 teaspoons cayenne
PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients. Work 1/2 half mixture into meat 12-24 hours before cooking. Apply remaining rub before smoking. Makes enough for about 5 to 6 pounds of meat.

Carolina BBQ Rub

Try this rub next time you want to make a traditional Carolina Pulled Pork.
INGREDIENTS:
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons ground cumin
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
• 1/4 cup paprika
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well; use as a dry rub on beef, chicken, lamb or pork.

Best Odds Rib Rub

This rub is your "best odds" to smoking great set of ribs. This savory rub will add a lot of flavor without detracting from the natural flavor of the meat.
INGREDIENTS:
• 1/3 cup paprika
• 3 tablespoons dry mustard
• 2 tablespoons onion powder
• 2 tablespoons garlic powder
• 2 tablespoons ground basil
• 2 tablespoons red pepper
• 1 tablespoon black pepper
• 1 tablespoon salt
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container. When applying to ribs, coat heavily and massage into the meat. If you want to make a sweet rub add 2 tablespoons

Best Odds Brisket Rub

This traditional brisket rub is most commonly used Texas. Though simple to make, this rub contains what you need to make a delicious smoked barbecue brisket.
INGREDIENTS:
• 1/2 cup paprika
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons garlic powder
• 3 tablespoons onion powder
• 2 tablespoons oregano
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Work into the surface of the brisket, especially over the exposed meat.

Porkers Rib Seasoning

This rub is perfect for all kinds of pork whether it's ribs or Carolina-style pulled pork. One tip: If you apply your spice rub too early before you start cooking it will cause the pork to develop a ham like flavor, and not in a good way. So apply this rub right before the pork hits the smoker.
INGREDIENTS:
• 2 cups paprika
• 3/4 cup lemon pepper
• 1/4 cup coarse ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup white pepper
• 1/4 cup onion salt
• 1/4 cup granulated garlic
• 1/4 cup chili powder
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients and store in an air tight container. Apply to pork with a shaker right before it goes into the smoker.

Best Odds Pulled Pork Rub

This traditional pulled pork rub will give you the best odds for making a great batch of Carolina Style Pulled Pork.
INGREDIENTS:
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup paprika
• 2 tablespoons black pepper
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 1 tablespoon cayenne
• 2 teaspoons dry mustard
PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients. Work mixture into meat about and hour before it goes on the smoker. Save some of the rub to sprinkle on during the smoking process to replace rub lost during turning.

BBQ Brisket Rub

The cumin and cayenne pepper in this rub, adds a nice Southwestern flavor to brisket.
INGREDIENTS:
• 2 tablespoons kosher or coarse salt
• 2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
• 2 teaspoons paprika
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, dried
• 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
PREPARATION:
Mix ingredients together in bowl and apply rub to brisket 2 to 4 hours before cooking. Refrigerate meat for a minimum of 4 to 6 hours to enhance flavor.

Beef Rib Rub

This rub combines the flavors of sweet and heat. You can adjust the heat by using mild or medium chili powder. If you really want to make spice it up, then add an extra tablespoon of cayenne.
INGREDIENTS:
• 1/4 cup paprika
• 1/4 cup mild or medium chili powder
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon cayenne
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon salt
PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Apply about 2 tablespoons of rub to each side of the rack. Prepare smoker and add ribs.

Chipotle

This rub has the great flavor of chipotle peppers. Just make sure that the rub is finely ground before using.
INGREDIENTS:
2 dried chipotle peppers (use 3 to heat it up a little)
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried cilantro leaves
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground dry orange peel
PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in a spice mill or blender and grind until even and fine. Store in an airtight jar. Will store for about 6 months in the freezer. Great for brisket, steak, and pork.

Ive used best odds brisket and best odds pork, basic rub, Memphis style Kansas style ... most people like the Kansas and with a Kansas sauce around here it is sweeter I like the Texas style and Memphis

I have used most of those before .... at least you can get an idea what you like and see the similarity that goes in.

I havent tried the chipolte one THAT one I do want to do

cheezydemon said:
Those all sound great. I have found that substituting my homegrown jalapeno powder for cayenne improves any recipe.

Exactly

Two more --- anybody feel free to add your own or one you found

Magic dust
To make it a little more hot and spicy, increase the mustard powder and black pepper to 1/4 cup each.
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne
PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container. You'll want to keep some in a shaker next to the grill or stove.
Keeps indefinitely but won't last long.

Spicy Southwestern Wet Rub
This wet rub packs a lot of flavor. You can adjust the heat by using either hot, medium or mild chili powder.
INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
PREPARATION:
Mash garlic and salt together to form a paste. Mix together chili powder, cumin, garlic paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar,
pepper, allspice, and oil. Let this rub sit on meat for 30 minutes to 2 hours.

luckydog, "you're the man now dog." :cool: gonna have to try some of these once i have access to a grill! we had one, but it was my grandmas neighbors grill. i helped her move when she left..along with her son and grandson, but they took the grill as well. wasn't that great of one anyway...a tiny gas grill. better than nothing i suppose.

once i'm up and running, i'm gonna probably work through all the rubs. might tweak them though...i usually don't measure out too much, just kinda eyeball each of the spices depending on how much i like them or want to taste them (as far as upfront or more of a background flavor).

LUCKYDOG Wow some fine rubs there you got me checking my cupoards to make sure ive got most of the ingridients.ready for summer or spring for that matter,its give my that o arnt i clever sod when ive got all my m8s round for a barbie and man those tastebuds are ringing like a churchbell and kewl for the all those fine recipies ive got..kind of a way

(MY APOLOGIES ON MY 6TH BOTTLE OF HOOGARDEN..JUST BE GLAD I DONT DRINK ALL THE TIME..got to learn to spell..luckydog sorry about the thread great recipies lousy reply..ill edit tommz it sounds ok though..maybe :rolleyes:

Ha ha thats why I use the speeeeeell cheeeeecker in the right hand corner. Glad you like'em depending on your taste these are some good rubs to get you started --- enjoy

Just stumbled upon this thread searching for BBQ sauce recipes. Awesome list of rubs! I will certainly be trying some of them! Thanks for posting.
:)

What a find Sethsqatch!! ......and Thank you LUCKYDOG for sharing your recipes.
Perfect timing for using some of my freshly dried peppers.

Back