• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Habanero headache??

Hello all,

A quick question for you....are there any peppers that give you a headache? I'm not sure why this is but if I eat a lot of Habaneros I get one.

It's the only pepper I've tried that gets me like this.

Cheers!

I get headaches not eating peppers. That is the mark of a true man. Actually, my brain thinks it may be a headache and I tell it to quit being a b!tch. It listens. You should try it.

Yeah. I get headaches, like BAM! Only with fresh pods and usually only Habs. Like someone hitting me at the base of my skull with a 2 x 6. Before I'm even done chewing. And they last for 2 days. I don't eat fresh Habs much....

Edit: use the search bar for, Brain Pain. There's a thread I started about this thing awhile back.
Some others thoughts on this....

I'd post a link to it, but I'm stoooopid.

Fresh super hots tend to give me a very dull headache for a short period. But it is overshadowed by the great feeling of the endorphins.

I've had several headaches from too many cups of my favorite soup.... Hops and Barley, but never from eating peppers.

MSG IN THE SOUP MOST LIKELY GIVES ME BANGING ONES

RINGSIDE I GET THE TOO FROM EATING TOO MUCH HABS/ SPICY BUT THAT HAS MORE TO DO WITH WHAT IM EATING IT WITH
, I HAVE CUT BACK SOME

THANSK jOE

hey Joe typing with Caps Lock on leads people to believe you are shouting at them and is generaly considered impolite wich is surely not your intention ;)

Not had any headaches from eating chili so far just cramps and nausea on 1 or 2 ocasions.

I have never had a headache from eating a hot pepper, but when I read this, I got to thinkin'....I know, it's a dangerous thing...

why do hot peppers cause headaches?

I suppose it could be because the body's reaction to something hot is for the blood pressure to go up...and if you are borderline high blood pressure already, I can see headaches...that may be one of the reasons I don't get headaches from eating them...I have been on blood pressure medicine for 20+ years....

I get headaches not eating peppers. That is the mark of a true man. Actually, my brain thinks it may be a headache and I tell it to quit being a b!tch. It listens. You should try it.
:rofl:

MSG IN THE SOUP MOST LIKELY GIVES ME BANGING ONES

MSG does it to me every time.

Hot peppers sometimes give me intestinal cramping & explosive diahreah - not to mention the "burning ring of fire" - but no headache. I'd almost trade all that for a headache actually. :dance:

I know this is a very old thread, but I am worried. I never ate raw Habaneros until yesterday. I ate one and it was a mild one, so no problem. Later I ate one that was a darker orange and I knew it was about 100 times hotter than the first, but I could handle it...
Until I got a headache like the worst brain-freeze I ever had and it lasted 2 hours! I could not even sit down. Had to pace and hold my head. Thought I was having a stroke and dying. My mouth was fine, stomach fine, was not even sweating, but my head felt like there was an alien hatching inside and pounding to get out!
I never get headaches, but I AM highly succeptable to brain-freeze from cold food and it comes from my stomach (not the mouth or throat like so-called experts claim it is as I feel it start from my stomach when ice cream lands in there.) I felt my head explode as soon as I swallowed the habanero and it hit my stomach.
Anyone ever hear of hot food triggering the "brain-freeze" nerve? I still have a bit of a pounding headache almost 24 hours later. I love hot food. I use habanero sauce all the time. I take hot wings and add habanero sauce to it. I can drink sirracha. I bought Reaper seeds and wanted to try eating them from my plants when they ripen, but now I guess that's out of the picture.

twitterisfortwits said:
I know this is a very old thread, but I am worried. I never ate raw Habaneros until yesterday. I ate one and it was a mild one, so no problem. Later I ate one that was a darker orange and I knew it was about 100 times hotter than the first, but I could handle it...
Until I got a headache like the worst brain-freeze I ever had and it lasted 2 hours! I could not even sit down. Had to pace and hold my head. Thought I was having a stroke and dying. My mouth was fine, stomach fine, was not even sweating, but my head felt like there was an alien hatching inside and pounding to get out!
I never get headaches, but I AM highly succeptable to brain-freeze from cold food and it comes from my stomach (not the mouth or throat like so-called experts claim it is as I feel it start from my stomach when ice cream lands in there.) I felt my head explode as soon as I swallowed the habanero and it hit my stomach.
Anyone ever hear of hot food triggering the "brain-freeze" nerve? I still have a bit of a pounding headache almost 24 hours later. I love hot food. I use habanero sauce all the time. I take hot wings and add habanero sauce to it. I can drink sirracha. I bought Reaper seeds and wanted to try eating them from my plants when they ripen, but now I guess that's out of the picture.

Whatever you're getting, it isn't standard brainfreeze. Brainfreeze comes from the roof of your mouth getting cold and tricking your body into thinking the brain's not getting enough blood. The pain you feel is the sudden blood rush that ensues that the brain isn't actually prepared for. The sudden increase in blood pressure could be triggered by something else but it specifically going to your head is weird if it's not triggered there.

I guess I'll never know. But I guess I'd better give up on the raw peppers and stick to hot sauce. I guess it's not regular brain freeze/burn, but I was relieved to see that at least one member here had a headache caused by raw habaneros.
I do however think what I experience is the effect of cold food (ice cream) or extremely hot peppers directly on a nerve. It happens so fast there is NO way it has anything to do with changes in blood pressure or adrenaline.
It sucks because I love hot food and the pepper tasted good and I handle the burn fine. But that headache was the worst pain I can remember (and I was hit directly in the head by a car doing at least 40 mph at age 11.)
Thanks for responding and have a pepper or 2 for me!

Back