Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

This will be my 3rd year to host this swap, but my first time since joining THP.

IMG_4718.jpg

(Photo courtesy of tsheets - GW forum)

So here are the rules (every swap's gotta have them):

* No deadline on signing up, but ALL seeds must reach me by February 28th. I will do my very best to have them back out by March 5th. That's a full week earlier than last year!

* Seed packets should be labeled as commercial, or harvested/hand collected.

* Seed packets should have minimum 12 - 15 seeds per packet.

* Limit of packets per variety = 3. If you send in more than 3 of a variety, the rest will be considered extras.
This will increase the variety in the swap. More variety sent in = more variety received back : )
If you have something very rare, or in high demand, contact me privately, and I may wave the 3 pack limit for that item.

*** This being my third year to host, I am tweaking the rules a bit. Due to having way too many of certain varieties in the past, I've created a list of peppers that will NOT be accepted in this swap. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them, but they are very common varieties, that are available at any Walmart or Lowe's, so therefore, not on anyone's wishlist. If you send these in, I will return them to you.

Jalapenos
Cayennes
Habaneros
Cherry Peppers
California Wonder, or any Unnamed Bell Peppers (very few people had Bells on their wishlists at all)
Seed Mixes of any kind

If you have a rare, named variety of one of the items on this list, message me, and I may make an exception.

* Limit of total packs = 40. I've lowered it from 50. Last year I had a couple of folks send in 50 different varieties. Do you know how hard it was to come up with 50 varieties OTHER than the ones they sent in?

* Please put your THP name on the seed packet. This will ensure that you don't receive your own seeds back.

* Include a list of what you are sending in. This will also ensure that you don't receive the same thing you sent in.

* Please include a wishlist, or at least me know if you prefer Sweet/Mild, Hot, Superhot, or a Mix, so that I can send you things you will enjoy, even if I don't have items specifically from your wishlist. You may also indicate if you prefer OP/Heirloom types, or Hybrids. I can't guarantee what you will get back, since it is dependent on what others send in, but I will do my best.

* Commercial seeds should have an expiration date of '11 or '12. If hand collected, they should have been harvested in '10 or '11. Please put this information on the seed packet.

* Canadian members are welcome to join, as long as there seeds reach me by the deadline.

* And last but not least, please include a return address label, and enough postage, for the return trip. If you are sending cash, remember postal rates went up last week. Also, if you want me to send your package with a delivery confirmation, you need to send enough $ to cover it.

* I will message you my mailing address once you have posted here to sign up for this swap.

I apologize if that sounds like a lot of rules, but this will keep the swap fair and fun for everyone.

Let me know if I've forgotten anything.

Your hostess,
Bonnie

Awesome, Wrightdaddy! Thanks for joining!

Since this swap is posted on another gardening forum as well as this one, there should be a good turnout. The more participants, the better the selection sent in.

Welcome, Stickman and Prehensile!

I've got to run out for a couple of hours, but I will message you guys my address later tonight.

There's already 4 people signed up on the other forum, so we are up to 7 people already! It's looking like a great swap this year!

Good Morning, Everyone!

Here is a list of participants so far:

Wrightdaddy
Stickman
Prehensile
Fiogga
Hixs

Plus 10 people already on the other forum. Not bad for the first day of sign ups!

All of you should have received a message from me with my mailing address. If for some reason you didn't get it, let me know, and I'll resend.

Hi Tinley! I remember you from last year. Thanks for joining again! BTW, don't sign up in both places, or you'll totally confuse me, LOL!

Here is a list of THP participants so far:

Wrightdaddy
Stickman
Prehensile
Fiogga
Hixs
Tinley244

Which brings the total number of swap participants up to 22.

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of days. I've had a family emergency this week, and don't have internet access at the hospital.

Things are still going to run on schedule though, and we are up to a total of 24 participants

There are still more than two weeks left to sign up, for those of you that may be lurking and contemplating :)

Sorry to hear about the family emergency. Best wishes to your family.

When you say no habaneros, are you talking about orange habs? What about chocolate, white, etc..?

It sounds like fun, but I have already started most of my plants for this year. The only seeds I will be starting after March 5th will be tomatoes and cukes and things like that.

Sorry to hear about the family emergency. Best wishes to your family.

When you say no habaneros, are you talking about orange habs? What about chocolate, white, etc..?

It sounds like fun, but I have already started most of my plants for this year. The only seeds I will be starting after March 5th will be tomatoes and cukes and things like that.
Thank you, Muskymojo! Things are looking better today.

Well, mostly I'm referring to the orange habs, as they are so commonly available, and I received way too many of them in past swaps. I also received quite a few unnamed habs in other colors, such as white or (brown) chocolate. Named habs, such as Red Savina, Francisca, Condor's Beak, Mustard, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Paper Lantern, etc. would be fine.

I too have already started a lot of peppers, and will start the rest in another week or two. Keep in mind that pepper seeds are viable for several years, so they don't have to be grown out this season. That said, if I receive something in this swap thatI really want to grow, I'll still start it in March and maybe plan to overwinter it.

Hope this helps, and would love to have you join!

Received the first couple of envelopes today. I will put a * by your name, once I receive your envelope. Your envelope has until the 28th to reach me, plan accordingly : )

Here is a list of THP participants so far:

Wrightdaddy
* Stickman
Prehensile
Fiogga
Hixs
Tinley244

Which brings the total number of swap participants up to 24.

For those of you still trying to decide whether or not to join, Smokemaster has generously offered to donate some seeds for this swap again this year, so participants will receive some bonus seeds. :dance:

Back