• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mill's 2012 glog

Going to cut back this year. Only 17 varieties started today, about 150 actual seeds. Probably only 5 more after this. Had a lot going on at the end of last season and did not pull any plant to overwinter, which means I lost my 3rd year Tree hab... O well. Time to start over.

The list:

Chocolate Bhut
Giant Bhut
C. Galapagoense
C. Annuum var. Glabriusculum
Black Congo
Goats Weed
Birgit Locoto
Anaheim
Jalapeno
Chocolate Hab large long
Fatalii
Ugandan
Tree Hab mother
Tree Hab 1st gen
Tree hab 2nd gen
Tree hab 3rd gen
PI 159236
PI 653675
C. Rhomboideum
Hot Thai ornamental

Everything is being germinated in cups in my little cabinet then moved up to the big one when they put on a good set of true leaves. Pictures to come when they start a-sprouting.

And you seriously just said all that without a pic?
:rofl:

Good luck this year Noah!
I will be following anxiously!!!

Kevin

I knew you would complain Kevin, :D. I gotta dig out the camera from wherever the wife has it. Probably in her purse. I will get some up soon.

Good luck Noah, .....It not how many you plant it's what you do with the leftover harvest...........

You were the one who straightened my photos out last year when I first tried posting and had trouble doing so.

Thanks again,

now back to taking some more photos for tomorrows weekend update.

Greg

Here is the first shot. There are already some seeds popping but will wait a few more days before moving anything to new cups. Twenty cups, seventeen types of seeds. Two 23 watt cfls keeps the cabinet from 25-28 degrees above ambient and ambient stays around 50-55 in the garage. Works well and has for the last 3 years.

IMAG0132.jpg

Man, that is some efficient germinating firepower for the cost of the box and a couple of 23-watt CFL. Do you grow any plants in there once the germinating phase is done?

Another question: if some seeds germinate and you wait a few days before moving to the medium, do you always plant the sprout entirely below the surface? or is it okay to have the top stick out a bit if it is developed enough?

Also, glad you guys with the knack for growin the 'wilds' are here.... :cool:

Best part was the cabinet was free. Redid some in our kitchen and didnt need that one anymore :)

Man, that is some efficient germinating firepower for the cost of the box and a couple of 23-watt CFL. Do you grow any plants in there once the germinating phase is done?

Another question: if some seeds germinate and you wait a few days before moving to the medium, do you always plant the sprout entirely below the surface? or is it okay to have the top stick out a bit if it is developed enough?

Also, glad you guys with the knack for growin the 'wilds' are here.... :cool:

Once the plants sprout they will go into the cabinet for a few days at 24hr light. I will stack the cups on each other for more room. Also, I can effectively have more than 100 cups in that small space. Any more than that and its too difficult to look through them all to check for sprouts.

After they sprout I usually wait till the leaves(cotelydons) are fully out of the seed shell and move them to soil. Sometimes when the main root first shows I will place it in soil about 1/4 of an inch belw the surface but I have found that doing this actually stunts the little guys for a couple days. The humidity in the cups helps the little plants shed their seed shell with no trouble.

Anything else? I will document my process when the time comes, probably in a couple days.

Hey, thanks! I just started my main grow and managing multiple cups like yours right now, and trying to envision best ways to plant them out as they sprout. If I can wait a bit on some of them and plant them with the top coty sticking out a bit, it will really help, so I can plant more at the same time. I guess you just 'drill' a hole in the medium and poke it in?

Siliman, there is enough nutrients in the plants when they sprout that you do not need to put them into a nutrient rich media until they have a set of true leaves. All I do is poke a hole in the new media and put the sprout in there and pack it down just a tad, the leaves at just above soil level.

...After they sprout I usually wait till the leaves(cotelydons) are fully out of the seed shell and move them to soil. Sometimes when the main root first shows I will place it in soil about 1/4 of an inch belw the surface but I have found that doing this actually stunts the little guys for a couple days. The humidity in the cups helps the little plants shed their seed shell with no trouble.

... All I do is poke a hole in the new media and put the sprout in there and pack it down just a tad, the leaves at just above soil level...

Okay, that's what I was wondering, mainly the planting depth of a seed that is already well sprouted. I have always concentrated on quickly planting the seed at 1/4-inch depth when the root first shows. And, yea, there is always a delay. I'll soon have some that are out of their seed shell and will plant just above soil line. This will be interesting to compare...thanks!

No problem siliman. I've found that this works best for me, not necessarily the best way, but easiest for me.

Hi Millworkman!

Looking nice, good luck with your season!
A question regarding the cups: do you put the seeds on the top of the paper towel? I am asking because I am also using cups for germinating my seeds, and till now I did not have much success (last year I used the baggie method which worked great), and just wondering whether it is caused by putting the seeds between wet paper towels. A day ago I changed my strategy, and put the seeds to the top, and now I have some seeds germinating. I guess the aeration is much better without having anything on them. What is your opinion?

HabaneroHead

Just place them on top. I also do not wring out the towel. I just place the towel in the cup, cover with water and then dump it out. There will be some standing water but that's ok, as soon as the cup gets warm it will evaporate and boost humidity in the cup.

First plants moved to new homes. Oddly enough the Rhomboideum was the second seed to sprout for me, first one moved up to a 2oz cup with media in it, no leaves yet.

Fatalii from Guru was the first to show some leaves

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

Next up is an oddity, posted a new thread in the Growing Hot Peppers section, a Goat's Weed twin. Two embryos coming out of the same shell. I have never had this happen to me before but have seen it here on the forums.

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

Back