• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NoVa Hothead's 2012 Season

After two unusual seasons in which I started this hobby, I think I've found my sweet spot, and started my seedlings two weeks ago.

One of the biggest lessons for me was to scale down my number of plants. Two years ago, my bro-in-law and I started out with ~100 plants split between our houses, which was too many for a noob. There was simply too much work to do, and it meant that we sometimes let things slip on timing, and it caused issues.

Last season, I had some health issues, and didn't get my seedlings started until late Feb. I had decided to try out hydro, and received an Emily's Garden for Xmas. So, in addition to scaling back the number of plants, I also did 6 hydro plants in a homemade DWC setup. Unfortunately, something happened to 75% of the non-hydro plants, so I scrapped all the rest and just went with the hydro. I had a decent season for the late start, with a lot of lessons learned to apply this year.

So, for this year, I'm specifically targeting a total of 14 plants, 6 hydro, the rest potted. I'm germinating in rockwool, even for the potted plants, and put in three seeds per cube to make sure that all the cubes were usable, with the intention to cull any multiples with the strongest looking seedling. After two weeks, only four cubes have yet to germinate.

Here's what I'm growing this year, two plants apiece:

Billyboy Douglah
Brain Strain
Red Savina
Butch T Scorpion
Yellow Brain Strain
Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia

Two more cubes germinated yesterday, so only waiting on two more. Cleaned out the growbox yesterday, have the first 7 seedlings under lights, and getting light nutes.

Gave up on the last two cubes, so it's an even dozen for me this year. My growbox is in the basement, which is a bit chilly this time of year. So, I've taken my germination heatpad and have my seedlings on top of it, and am presently keeping the cubes at 78F. Some of the first cubes to germinate are ready for culling, as I can tell which seedlings are the strongest. Will be setting up the hydro this weekend, and will post some pics after that.

Culled my seedlings today down to one per rockwool cube, trying to keep the healthiest. One of them is still quite leggy, but soon I'll be starting the fan cycling, which will solve for that.

I moved the container to get a better photo, but you can see that I'm still using my germination heating mat. My growbox is in my basement, which is about 60F if I don't turn on a space heater for when we use it. That's a great temp for me to do gallon batches of mead, but not good for seedlings. Keeping the rockwool cubes at 75F, which seems to be working well.

Waited too long to order hydroton, so I can't setup the emily's garden until next week.

Peppers021912.jpg

Back