• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

I got my grow light hung up today.
Posted Image
Holding the chains together and the light up are these little guys
Posted Image
One side goes up and around a support for an air vent and then the magnets are holding the chain to it
Posted Image
This is how I hold the chain to the light. Note the use of magnets.
Posted Image

#22 capsidadburn

capsidadburn

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hello Bat, Great start! I'm familiar with your backstory as well too.

Mike

#23 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

I added a little personal touch to my grow area
Posted Image

#24 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

I just got a new phone with an 8mp camera so that means better quality pictures. Yay! :) I just soldered up a computer fan with a switch to a 6ft usb cable that i might use to circulate the air in the grow tent I'll be making. I'll have a video of it up soon and hopefully some pics of my tent when it gets made.

#25 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Posted Image
First sprout! It's one of my 7 pot yellows :) hopefully more to follow soon.

Edited by thebat, 15 February 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#26 woody3says

woody3says

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

BABIES!!! Always exciting times :fireball:
"Its swimming upstream to teach people actual facts. People hear one thing from certain people that then it doesn't matter whats true or not."

#27 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

Woo sprouts! Its late tonight. Was out with some friends and the girlfriend so I didn't have time during the day to set up my peppers. I have 3 sprouts now with their leaves up craving some light. I bought the cheap-o florescent fixture from menards for $8. It didn't come with any light reflectors so I decided to make my own! Also kinda figured it would work as a mini "grow hut" for the time being as to help keep the air warmer than my cold basement air.
Here you can see the odd construction of my mylar reflective shield
Posted Image
I used good ol' elmer's glue to glue the mylar down and cut the excess off of the sides after I applied a bit of pressure to adhere the mylar a bit better.
And here is the reflective grow tunnel!
Posted Image
I'll be making a grow box later on with foam core board and mylar to fit larger plants before they are planted in the yard.
The picture lies, the tunnel is 4 ft long because the fixture is, you guess it, 4 ft long! I have a foam core board cap at the end and am gonna add a heat lamp on the open side with a fan to help keep it warmer.

Edited by thebat, 17 February 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#28 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Added a bit more to my set up
Got my ac to usb power adaptor
I hooked it up to a comp fan to blow cold air over everything to help keep the heat from rising too much
Posted Image

Another photo of it
Posted Image

Then my heat lamp on my sprouts with a thermometer
Posted Image

Edited by thebat, 19 February 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#29 Kant

Kant

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Quite the setup you got here. I especially like the pepper decoration. I'll be following with interest.

#30 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

So some of my sprouts are having some yellowing around the edges and curling downwards. I haven't given them any nutes yet and they're about 5-6" from my light.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any help?

Edited by thebat, 14 March 2012 - 12:20 AM.

#31 muskymojo

muskymojo

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

I would give them a very light feeding, and make sure to only water when needed. Your starter mix looks wet in the pics. It shouldn't be like that all the time, only just after you have watered. They should green right up.
...< `)]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]//{.....< `)]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]//{{.....< `)]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]//{{

#32 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

I only water cells when the soil looks light brown and airy/dry. Some cells stay dryer longer than other while some dry out a bit faster. So lighten up a bit on watering and they should green up? How much ferts should I give them and what type? Alaskan fish ferts good enough for these lil guys?

I need to get more pics up. I have 15 cells in my tray that have sprouted and need to be taken out while I have little cups (probably 4 or so cups) with 3-7 seeds in each one that have sprouted and need planting. I'm growing almost all the random seeds from peppermania that I received while I'm also sprouting my other seeds soon. I got the seed that should be a manzano to sprout and am very excited for it!

Also old growing medium from mushrooms makes for good soil additives, correct? I've read about people buying organic mushroom compost/soil to put in their gardens.

Edited by thebat, 14 March 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#33 muskymojo

muskymojo

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

It's really hard to judge watering by how the surface of your soil looks. I bottom water, and the surface of my soil always looks completely dry, even 5 minutes after I water. The best way to tell (at least for me) is judging by the weight of the trays. When they are almost as light as brand new mix straight out of the bag (which is very light), that is when I water. I hear you about some cells drying up faster than others. I usually have a couple plants around the edges just starting to droop when I water them all.

Alaska fish fert is great. I would mix 1/4 TBS per gallon of water every other watering for now, and see how they respond. Maybe add a pinch of epsom salts too.

I'm not sure about the mushroom stuff. I've heard mushroom compost is good, but I wouldn't add it until later on. The whole key to growing chiles is doing as little as possible to keep your plants happy, whether it be feeding or watering. Just don't let them get so dry that they shrivel up and die.
...< `)]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]//{.....< `)]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]//{{.....< `)]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]//{{

#34 Pr0digal_son

Pr0digal_son

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

I would suggest do one thing at a time. It's easy to get consumed and throw a bunch of things at it. I agree with Musky... Let them dry out and see. What kind of water? What is your Ph? I check my PH everytime I water.

#35 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Ok, I'll try watering them less first and if there is no response I'll give em a little food. Its just regular tap water too, shouldn't make a difference right?

I'm not gonna be adding that till later on for sure but I may go get some since I've heard its pretty good.

#36 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

Also, I've been top watering all the cells I remove so wouldn't that also run some of the nutes in the soil out? I'll start to try bottom watering though.

#37 muskymojo

muskymojo

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Also, I've been top watering all the cells I remove so wouldn't that also run some of the nutes in the soil out? I'll start to try bottom watering though.

Yes, but I don't think there are any nutes in Jiffy seed starting mix. Also, top watering tends to compact the soil, which means less oxygen for the roots. I would try a light feeding next time you water. Using and un-cut plug tray to hold your individual cells makes bottom watering easy.

#38 PaulG

PaulG

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Sounds like you're getting things under control, bat!
Getting things dialed in is tough at first, but once you
get some seedlings transplanted things mellow out a
teeny bit.
Every Pod a Victory!

#39 thebat

thebat

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

So I lightened up on watering and some of them are looking worse
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm thinking they need some nutes...

#40 stc3248

stc3248

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Could be a nute issue...or nute lockout due to too much nutes. If they're still in seed starting mix they definitely need some food. They still look pretty damp. You may have just watered them??? I water by weight. I don't water them until they are pretty light. To get an idea what they weigh when dry you could fill a cell with dry mix and compare the weight of that to your plants and see the difference. You could also use a food scale if you have one. I bought a cheap meter to read ph from hd that included a light and moisture meter as well. Makes it easy to double check how wet they are at the middle and bottom of the containers with the probe. Hope you figure it out!
Shane

stc3248's 2014 grow log
www.imarunnut.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users