• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pro-mix bx price

Thats a good price!
Id like to know where in the ATL do you get yours?
I found some this year, but it took some slick talking ,because they only sell to contractors.

Kevin

that's about the price on my side of the border and we make the stuff. i was across the street from a nursery 2 weeks ago and they had a pallet of the stuff covered in a blanket of snow.
premier tech is looking for a western canadian sales rep, if there wasn't so much travel involved i would apply - i use just about all their product brands.

Are you talking about the 3.8 cu ft. bale or the smaller one they started offering recently? If it's the 3.8 cu ft. bale that's a good price. That's the same price I get it for, but a lot of places sell it for $35+.

They've been offering many sizes for many years. I've been buying the 3.8 bales for probably 20 years and have no use for the smaller moistened bags. Once it gets wet then insect and fungal problems can develop, even before you use it

I thought the 2.8 cu ft. ones were new, the first I ever heard of them was on this board last year. The OP said 3 cu ft., so I don't know if he means the 2.8 or 3.8. I would like to get my hands on some of this for perennials... http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/pro-mix-brk-growing-medium/

Menard's here has 1 cu ft. outdoor Pro Mix for $3.77 on sale, it appears they're phasing it out, have to further the Miracle Grow monopoly.

Potawie did you ever get a price on the 55 cu ft. monster bale?

Are the 1 and 2.8 cu ft. bags dry and compressed?
We had a monster bale of Fafard or lambert once at the greenhouse. I can't remember the price but we got a good deal when another local greenhouse operation closed down. They are nice if you have a good tractor and truck but for most people its a pain in the butt to work with.

2.8 is dry and compressed I believe, I've never actually seen it, but the 1 isn't. The 1 cu ft. bags don't have much moisture though. The outdoor mix has some composted pine bark in it so it's probably a little heavier. Not sure how much but it's only about 50% peat moss. They used to have the organic indoor mix 1 cu ft. bags too but they already phased those out.

I checked the Premier Tech website and the 2.8 is loose. I don't know about moisture content. The compressed 3.8 cu.ft. bales will fluff out to around 6.5 to 7 cu.ft. of loose material I think, making a one-to-one price comparison to the loose bags not quite right.

I buy from BWI. They carry the Pro-Mix BX loose and baled and while I can't quite tell from the picture, it looks like what is described as 2.8 cu.ft. actually has 3 cu.ft. printed on the bag. Go figure.

The calculator on their website is pretty useful for someone new at this: http://tools.pthorticulture.com/PottingGuide/PottingGuide.aspx

Thats a good price!
Id like to know where in the ATL do you get yours?
I found some this year, but it took some slick talking ,because they only sell to contractors.

Kevin

atlantis!! they kick ass

http://www.atlantishydroponics.com/Soil-and-Soilless-Mixes/Premier-PRO-MIX-BX-MYCORISE-PRO-MIX-38-cu-ft.asp

The only place I can find it locally is a hydro shop, they want $42 for the BX and $45 for the HP. That's the 3.8 cf bale. They are kind enough to cut me a 20% off deal though.

I buy the 2.8 cu ft bag for 19.99 locally. I think the reason the price is so low is because they use it for everything in the nursery from veggies to specialty flowers and trees. I talked to the "Master Gardener" and he said that they germinate with it, pot up into it, and swear by it.

It is loose, and recommends a good soaking prior to use. I am lazy and :drunk: half the time, so I just fill my pot up, flat up, etc, and bottom water overnight and it gets nice and soaked. I have about 5 and a half cu ft left and am planning on potting up into it before they go outside in the ground. I also tried it for germination (but it has been about 6 days and nothing is up yet).

If you want me to snap a few pics of the soil (I have half the bag in big ol rubbermaid container so it doesnt just sit in an open bag) I can. But it just looks like soil mix....

souf said:
Well, hey now, that's some different stuff from I was talking about: http://www.pthorticu...growing-medium/

I don't doubt the "mycorise" adds value, but my understanding is it adds beneficial bacteria and not necessarily any useful fungal "mycorrhizae". Not saying that's not a good thing, but I'd like to hear others' opinions regarding the issue.

MGOLD86 said:
drunk.gif
half the time, so I just fill my pot up pipe/cup/etc
FTFM (legal sh*t only, of course)

Still waiting on a price quote for the BX material referenced above. Will post response.

$30.43 for a compressed 3.8 cu. ft. bale of Pro-mix BX here.

edit: font issues

Back