• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense 2 Million scoville - Moruga Scorpion

Extreme variance between the low heat and high heat of the Bhut Jolokia and the Moruga Scorpion..To me, that's a red flag of sorts..

I know some who swear Morugas are hotter than ButchTs. I haven't had enough to really make a general assessment. I can say that a Brain Strain is hands down the hottest I have ever eaten.

Good on them for trying to find the next hottest, however, give an experienced grower a perfect environment and pure strains and you will probably get some pretty sick numbers. If "2 mil" is the next mark, wait a couple months and the Super Trinidad KGB Nuclear Suicide Rattlesnake chili will be 2.1m.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/28101-moruga-scorpion-new-hottest-in-the-world/page__fromsearch__1

Statement made is that extreme variance is a red flag. May I ask you what is your scientific or horticultural background? This entire study has been sent to Horticulture Science magazine for publishing. If you have ever grown thousands of plants or even hundreds of the same variety you will see extreme variances and even mutations and recessive gene traits. Interesting that the Butch T Scorpion had a test with a few pods done by a wastewater lab with no verification by other labs and everyone accepts it. Now a scientific study is done by the world leader in Chile Pepper Research and people question it??? Oh well I guess the world is full of experts and opinions and I guess its good that we have the freedom to express that.

Grew hottest pepper ever tested? Yes. Grew and confirmed new hottest strain in the world? No. I have a very intensive science background and with a standard deviation that large five data points using one pod each is far too low. Don't create a scientific study if you don't want peer review.

Edit: I stand corrected it seems as though 100 pods were tested. The question now becomes whether the 2 million was from a 25 pod sample or a single pod sample. If it was from a single pod, the 2 million number is terribly skewn. If there were four 25 pod samples from which the mean was derived, the mean becomes useless. So what's going on here?

The 2,000,000 shu numbers are from a 25 pod sample. Two portions of this 25 pod sample were sent to two other labs as were other samples. From what I was told at the conference yesterday this is the way they tested all the varieties by using large samples instead of single pods.

I appreciate the response Jim. Do you know how this factored into their final results? Did they use a mean from all labs combined or just from their own lab?

I cannot answer that question. Only got information from leader dinner. All things related to this study will eventually be in Hort Science in the near future. Your free to e mail Danise Coon or Dr Bosland if you wish.

Back