• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Don't use Weed and Feed

PaulG

Extreme Member
I left a bag of weed and feed in my little shed over the winter. It's one of those little metal self assemble deals, about 10-15 years old. I thought it was pretty tight since it keeps everything dry over the winter. Unfortunately, I neglected to close the top of the bag securely, but what could happen, right? When I went out to the shed last Spring after a couple of months w/o going in it, i noticed the bag was open. When I looked inside, this is what I found:

DSCN3481a.jpg

The poor little tree frog had somehow got into the shed, and jumped into the bag. I suspect it was a pretty gruesome death, first nerve damage, then desiccation. There isn't a drop of moisture in his little body - completely mummified. It's a real shame, because I love our little tree frog population here in the Pac NW, and I felt guilty for being so careless.

So, I gave away my bag of weed and feed, and vowed never to use it again. I wonder how many amphibians have walked over our lawn after applications of it, and if not been killed, made pretty sick. It was a good lesson for me, and I have cut WAY back on use of any kind of non-organic garden products - and even the ones that are deemed 'safe' I use with a hugh amount of caution.
I keep his poor, martyred body on my drafting table to serve as a constant reminder of the unintended consequences of the use of chemical products.

Can I have a Kleenex, please :cry:

Oh - when I read the topic title I was thinking "that's the best time to feed!"

Sorry - my bad.
:rofl:

Sorry - my HS warped brain still makes pot jokes.

Poor little froggy. I love frogs. That sucks.

Oh - when I read the topic title I was thinking "that's the best time to feed!"

Sorry - my bad.
:rofl:

Sorry - my HS warped brain still makes pot jokes.

Poor little froggy. I love frogs. That sucks.

That's really funny - the first part! :lol:
Yeah, I felt really sorry for the little guy. I've gotten fertilizers and stuff on my skin and it tingles.
I can't imagine what it would be like to be wallowing in it. Sort of like being sprayed with Agent Orange.
Thanks, M and D (corporate names witheld to avoid castigation for being political.)

Yeah, I was sort of taken back by it.

Back