• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stressing Out a Plant

So from help and Tips I heard that stressing out a plant will make peppers hotter, what are some tips on ways to rightfuly stressing a plant and at how young should I stress it?

basically dont water it or feed it until it is wilting..you can start this as soon as you transplant from germ medium. have also heard about stressing them with less and more light cycle and temperature..although never tried these methods, only the 'water when wilted' technique. good luck and let us know what works good for you!

basically dont water it or feed it until it is wilting..you can start this as soon as you transplant from germ medium. have also heard about stressing them with less and more light cycle and temperature..although never tried these methods, only the 'water when wilted' technique. good luck and let us know what works good for you!

The point of stressing the plant is to cause it to develop hotter pods. I don't see a good reason for stressing a young plant right after its first transplant prior to it holding a developing crop. What you want is a plant with a developing crop that is past the tentatively set stage prior to inducing the stress.

All 3 sound good enough to make a pepper lose its hair lol but I think I would stress it till its a bit older and good tips because I don't know anything about growing peppers much so I need lots of info

Last year I noticed that my plants that were outdoors produced hotter peppers than the ones grown indoor next to a window (plants of the same variety). I would imagine that this had something to do with the outdoor ones experiencing greater swings in temperature, compared to the inside ones which never saw below room temp.

And obviously the outside plants had to put up with the wind as well as some bad weather, being that I am in the sunny UK :)

You can stress a plant with heat stress, water stress(deprive of water), or fertilizer stress(drastically increasing nutrients)
I don't believe there is any real point stressing a plant before there are pods present. Remember that stressing a plant is not good for growth or production, it is a reaction to a poor environment or being poorly treated. Personally I wouldn't bother stressing plants, you can get pods these days that are beyond edible as is and I'd rather have a highly productive plant any day although pods grown in the middle of summer should be hotter than spring/fall pods

just let them listen t the wife naggin

Sounds like a winner!!

So from help and Tips I heard that stressing out a plant will make peppers hotter, what are some tips on ways to rightfuly stressing a plant and at how young should I stress it?

How many seasons have you been growing the supers?

You can stress a plant with heat stress, water stress(deprive of water), or fertilizer stress(drastically increasing nutrients)
I don't believe there is any real point stressing a plant before there are pods present. Remember that stressing a plant is not good for growth or production, it is a reaction to a poor environment or being poorly treated. Personally I wouldn't bother stressing plants, you can get pods these days that are beyond edible as is and I'd rather have a highly productive plant any day although pods grown in the middle of summer should be hotter than spring/fall pods

+1
I can’t agree more!!

If you’re looking to burn holes through your body then I would suggest growing Brain Strains, Infinities, TS Morouga, and Butch Ts.

just let them listen t the wife naggin

This will work best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Small containers cause stress induced blooms. My neighbor hates when he has to come over to see my peppers in 1 gal pots producing 2x the amount the peppers in his 5 gal!!!! I will help him achieve the results this year along with some pictures for everyone one here to view.

"You can stress a plant with heat stress, water stress(deprive of water), or fertilizer stress(drastically increasing nutrients)
I don't believe there is any real point stressing a plant before there are pods present. Remember that stressing a plant is not good for growth or production, it is a reaction to a poor environment or being poorly treated. Personally I wouldn't bother stressing plants, you can get pods these days that are beyond edible as is and I'd rather have a highly productive plant any day although pods grown in the middle of summer should be hotter than spring/fall pods"

Yes but while the peppers are forming is when you want to stress the plant. Stress is a part of nature, Jalapenos will not be hot if they are grown fast and not stressed.

Yes but while the peppers are forming is when you want to stress the plant. Stress is a part of nature, Jalapenos will not be hot if they are grown fast and not stressed.

The plants are not producing any capsaicin before there are pods so I don't think pre-stressing the plant will really make forming pods hotter.
Generally when we talk about stressing here we're talking about intentional stressing, not just changes in the seasons etc.
My jalapenos are never intentionally stressed and they are always plenty hot, but pods ripening in the mid-summer heat are usually hotter

The plants are not producing any capsaicin before there are pods so I don't think pre-stressing the plant will really make forming pods hotter.
Generally when we talk about stressing here we're talking about intentional stressing, not just changes in the seasons etc.
My jalapenos are never intentionally stressed and they are always plenty hot, but pods ripening in the mid-summer heat are usually hotter

Yea my jalapenos were not hot at first but then the all the next harvests were very hot at the end of the season. Jalapenos are very productive even in the north I found.

I have a hard enough time trying to keep my plants from being stessed! I'm with Potawie, there are pods that are plenty hot for any purpose with no stess induced. I am concentrating on growing happy healthy plants that produce as much as possible. Unless you're trying to shoot for a new world record there is no need to try to make your peppers hotter. I grew a couple Jalapeno plants from the same seeds in an upside down planter (insert famous brand name here), so same soil/location. The only thing different was what side of the planter they were on, and one produced really hot pods, the other didn't??? Later in the season they were about equal???

By the way...the tomatoes did just ok in the famous "upside down planter"...as did the peppers, but I still wouldn't recomend them. Their production was a little lower than it should have been (especially the tomatoes), and I wanted to overwinter the peppers without destoying the planters...not a fun evolution. So unless you only have a small porch to grow, they're not a great option.

I have to agree on the upside down planter, they are not the best.

If jalapenos grow fast, get plenty of water, and are harvested soon they will have less heat then ones that stayed on the plant longer and have gone through stressfull conditions. The lack of water is one way to do so. :cool:

This is my first season growing so I need many tips and by the looks of the information just gathered seems like pro info, I'm growing from serranos, aji dulce to scorpion butch t to the one mighty brain strain/moruga

This is my first season growing so I need many tips and by the looks of the information just gathered seems like pro info, I'm growing from serranos, aji dulce to scorpion butch t to the one mighty brain strain/moruga

Well being this your first season I would have to agree with stc3248 and POTAWIE that you should focus o just growing healthy plants. The weather will take care of the heat levell for you. Just make sure to never overwater and never overfertilize.

If you keep it simple and make them happy you will be rewarded!! I grew those types last season and I promise you will not be disappointed!!

I wouldn't go out of my way to stress out your plants and run the risk of lower (or no) pod production. Just by growing the superhots, you will get plenty of burn.

Well being this your first season I would have to agree with stc3248 and POTAWIE that you should focus o just growing healthy plants. The weather will take care of the heat levell for you. Just make sure to never overwater and never overfertilize.

Add my name to this list! Good, commonsense advice!

Back