NM heat enthusiast with a question

First off,

Greetings and Salutations to all passionate pepper persons. I hail from central New Mexico, and Louisiana before that. Since moving out here I've developed an active enthusiasm for all things hot and interesting. My 3 year old already knows that it's not always safe to try food on daddies plate without asking first. I consider the Habanero to be a gateway pepper and Daves original Insanity sauce to be a litimus test of a chili head. Before you ask, yes I will be at the Fiery foods show next month.

Having said all that, I came to this community with an ulterior motive. I am trying to identify a pepper. I have had some toasty peppers, sauces and salsas in my time but this pepper destroyed me. I'm sure you guys know the feeling, where your mouth heats up and you think, "wow, this sucker packs a punch, it's already at about an 8" and the darn thing keeps going? "I'm running out of tears and snot here and it's still getting hotter! My teeth actively ache! Someone shoot me in the face, make it stop!" This pepper is my own personal 11. Not a 10 out of 10- an 11.

I am unable to return to the source and am out of contact with the person who introduced it to me. So, without further ado and stuff let me tell you what I remember. We were in west Texas, maybe 2-3 hours across the NM border at a private home. The pepper bush was maybe 2-3ft tall, with lots of small fruit (peppers) It was one of the tinest peppers I've ever seen, like a fat grain of rice with a bright red skin. I never got a name from the owners. Can't think of any more intel but that it was a small pepper. Standard pepper shape, like a tiny red jalapeno, no curves or odd skin wrinkles or anything. Little sucker that packs a wallop.

I'd greatly appreciate any guesses you folks have, and, naturally :-) seed sources of this tiny destructor.
Much love, happy to be here!

-Z

Hey, Z :welcome: from Oregon! Is it a pequin?

I knew you guys would have an answer for me. That looks like the culprit for sure. The only thing that throws me
from this answer is Lucky Dog describes it as a delicious pepper. I don't remember the taste being much of
anything, and of course as I was trying to process flavor, my face exploded so, you know, there are gaps in my memory from that day.
Well, excellent. Now, naturally, I have to go seek out more, and possibly grow my own. :D
Thank you all very much for the welcome and the answers.

Looking forward to hanging out here and feeding the addiction.

I knew you guys would have an answer for me. That looks like the culprit for sure. The only thing that throws me
from this answer is Lucky Dog describes it as a delicious pepper. I don't remember the taste being much of
anything, and of course as I was trying to process flavor, my face exploded so, you know, there are gaps in my memory from that day.
Well, excellent. Now, naturally, I have to go seek out more, and possibly grow my own. :D
Thank you all very much for the welcome and the answers.

Looking forward to hanging out here and feeding the addiction.

This little guy is a lit hot for a newcomer. lol if you care for some seed let me know. I'm sure I have close to 1000 seeds. lol. Don't tell the wife, lol

I like them pickled or fire roasted, has a good lil burn to them

Back