• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GL2 - TSBT & Y7P in Jiffy's in W.Australia

This is Grow Log #2.

This time I thought I would try the Jiffy's as a seed growing medium.

I bought 20 x TSBT and 20 x Y7P from the hippy seed co (always good service - like all the seed people I have dealt with).

Step 1 - go and buy Jiffy's. This is where I made my first blue. See if you can spot where...

IMG_20120216_221308.jpg

Step 2 - I thought I would give the flotation test a try as it worked nicely for me with some Habanero seeds that I took from a fresh pod last year. According to the theory (as I understand it) if the seed sinks, then it has a high probability of germination. If it floats - not so high. So, I put them all in a glass of water (TSBT in one glass and the Y7P in a separate glass) and swooshed them around with my finger and waited. They all floated. OK. That gives us a reference point to check out the validity of this theory.

Step 3 - I put 2 seeds per Jiffy (except for the last 2 which managed to get a home of their own).

IMG_20120216_224445.jpg

These will sit under the shadecloth. Let's see what happens.

note to self: you owe Mum a new pastry container

Cheers Don. If it doesn't the upside is I still have some space for more.

[color=#fafafa !important][/color]
small-logo.png

Very reasonable grow list! 'twill be interesting to see how the
jiffys work for you. Good luck going forward! I use the flotation test, too,
but I let them soak overnight. Most will sink after their seed coat absorbs
water for awhile, but any still floating the next morning are given the boot.
I've never done it with fresh seeds from a pod.

Yeah good point Paul. As far as the floatation test is concerned, there may very well be a difference between seeds that are fresh out of the pod and seeds that have been out of the pod for more than a week. I can't see myself waiting overnight to test. I am an impulse seeder :)

I'm checking in to see how this pans out :fireball: . Just got 2 mixed packs from THSC too and agrre great service and prices. I'm only a noob , so was wondering how you germinate your seeds? Do you soak them in water first or just straight into the Jiffy pellets? Thnx

Hi benzo. Have had best results soaking them - very quickly - in the past. Have done the same this time. Difference being last time they were straight out of the pod. This time they have had time to dry out. See what happens hey.

Update time - we have action. First couple of seedlings have sprouted - Trinidad Scorpion Butch T from Hippy Seed Co.

Just a reminder - I did not soak these seeds at all apart from a few moments for the float test. So it has taken 17 days for first signs of life to emerge.

Temps in the meantime have been:
temps.jpg

Here are the beasts:
IMG_20120306_181628.jpg

All right, now you're on the way, Simon! You will see more
and more sprouts; and at least you know you didn't kill them!
Keep up the good work, and best of luck going forward to
transplanting.

cheers Paul. A few of the Y7P's also poked their heads out of the ground overnight as well. So, now I need to think about space...

cheers Paul. A few of the Y7P's also poked their heads out of the ground overnight as well. So, now I need to think about space...

The perennial problem for most of us :cool: but a good problem to have!

temps.png

Yellow 7 Pot on the left, TS Butch T on the right...below...

IMG_20120322_103522.jpg

These seem to be the best looking seedlings I have had so far. Might be something to do with the growing medium. Maybe the seedling mix I have been using prior to the Jiffy's is "out of date"?

Turn them around Simon, so they will straighten themselves up.

My Bhuts im also experimenting in Jiffys have shown no sign of life whatsoever? they came out of the ripe pod & on to the jiffy`s,
Do you need to leave them to dry out a bit before trying to germinate them?

Mezo.

My Bhuts im also experimenting in Jiffys have shown no sign of life whatsoever? they came out of the ripe pod & on to the jiffy`s,

Mezo.
Not sure it its the same with chilli's but I'm quite certain they are fine to plant straight away but you want to get rid of the surrounding membrane because it inhibits growth. The drying process is to stop mould and and rotting over a period.

Edit: Carn the Pies :D

Hey, those seedlings look good, Simon!
That's quite a stretch of hot days in your temp chart!

Sorry to jump in, but do you mean get rid of the surrounding membrane on the Jiffy?

Nope sorry seeds, sorry for confusion.

I'm looking forward to trying these Jiffy's though weren't something I'd ever heard of using (until this site) and the results speak for themselves.

Mezo.

Mezo, they've been turned around a few times already. Think they should be getting a bit dizzy by now. As far as the Bhuts are concerned, I think you just need to be patient with them. I got mine from chilliseedbank as well and they took a few weeks to germinate - probably slowest of all I've had to date (except one lot which have been a total misfire by the look of things - so dont count). I planted some Habs straight out of the pod and they went ballistic - so that wont be a problem.

Edit: Carn the Pies :D

Not sure if I have anything polite to say to that... :crazy:

;)

Hey, those seedlings look good, Simon!
That's quite a stretch of hot days in your temp chart!

Yep - it does get warm here and the Bhuts hate it unfortunately. The sting has eased off in the last couple of weeks and some flowers are starting to form - so we might get a few before things slow down for winter.

Seedlings do look really good in comparison to the others I have grown. I am now a Jiffy believer.

Back