• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Airport x-ray scanners and seeds?

I do not believe so. I took some bhut seeds to Cyprus last year, my mother-in-law has grown a couple of plants from the seeds. They were x-rayed at least 3 times, in the US, the UK and Cyprus

No they won't die, just mutate into some man-eating 64' tall pepper pod when you go to grow them :hell:

no they won't die but it may trigger growth, if they are in your pants or you are smuggling them in your shorts, ouch, you may get the bean stalk phenomenon in your jeans! that would look silly at the airport.

actually, if they do show up and there is some keen eyed inspector, you better make sure the place you are going allows for seed distribution - hopefully, its just to toronto to see the leafs get womped again.

They won't die but be aware that you could go to jail for smuggling plant material if its an international flight. Don't mess with customs

They won't die but be aware that you could go to jail for smuggling plant material if its an international flight. Don't mess with customs

Maybe things are different up North there, but when's the last time you heard of anyone going to jail for bringing back seeds (or fruit) from common vegetable varieties?

I used to bring back enough liquor to kill a small town from corners of the Caribbean (including, GASP!, Cuba) and the worst that ever happened was customs would pour it out. The second worst was that they'd take it home and drink it.

Invasive species? Maybe a fine.

Yeah, just "play dumb" and they will most likely just confiscate items like that. You could always mail some to yourself as a back up plan as well.

My plan was just to act ignorant if asked. From what I found out from research, typically it isn't a problem as long as it is under 1kg of seeds. They are really concerned with farmers importing seeds in large amounts, or marijuana seeds in any amount.

Depending where you go, customs can be very strict and for good reason where plants can become invasive or you could be spreading diseases etc.. You probably won't go to jail but people get punished for this all the time, even members here.
I remember warning NagaJolokiaaddict once, and he got busted but got let off with a warning I believe. If you do get caught, good luck next time you go through customs

Yeah, I guess I should elaborate, by "not a problem" I mean no federal jail time! Not trying to say you wouldn't receive a fine or deportation. It is generally not a great idea.

Yeah, just "play dumb" and they will most likely just confiscate items like that. You could always mail some to yourself as a back up plan as well.

I know of one country (new Zealand my original home) where anything plant based that is not declared starts as an instant fine no warnings nothing and no excuses. Not huge money mind you but enough to buy 80 or so packs of seeds .... hardly worth it ... and depending on the severity of offending (ie what it is you are trying to bring in) can be up to $100000 or 5 years jail. But for seeds 400-500 dollar instant fine on the spot.

Back