• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Season - Length

This is the first year I have grown peppers and I'm wondering how long they will keep producing fruit? The plants were put in the ggound in early June. It was a long, hot summer in Cincinnati - we were in the mid 90s earlier this week. Had a decent harvest of Hungarian, Jalapeno (still a few dozen ripening on three plants and Habenero. But I noticed today there are quite a few blloms on the jalapeno and especially the Habs. If it is warm enough, do they produce fruit year round? Or will they go dormant at some point?

Along the same vein, if I dig the habs up (I can't see it going another 2-3 weeks without a killing frost) and repot them, if they survive the experience will they keep producing? I probably have 4 dozen or more blooms on one plant, that's enough to try to give it a shot if it possibly will work.

For the record, next year they will all be grown in containers!

Peppers are perennial in tropical climates, so, yeah, they'd keep producing. I don't know if they have a dormant period there, but I've had friends further south say theirs dropped a lot of leaves in the coolest part of their winter (no freezes and only light frosts, plants were on the sheltered southern side of the house)and didn't start producing again until well into the spring.

As to potting them up, I would think it depends on how much shock they get. If you get a wad of dirt and don't disturb the roots much, you can probably minimize the blossom loss.

Pam said:
Peppers are perennial in tropical climates, so, yeah, they'd keep producing. I don't know if they have a dormant period there, but I've had friends further south say theirs dropped a lot of leaves in the coolest part of their winter (no freezes and only light frosts, plants were on the sheltered southern side of the house)and didn't start producing again until well into the spring.

As to potting them up, I would think it depends on how much shock they get. If you get a wad of dirt and don't disturb the roots much, you can probably minimize the blossom loss.

:):think::think: Is there anything you don't know? You should change your thread name to guru...:D

Hot Canuck said:
:mouthonfire::think::think: Is there anything you don't know? You should change your thread name to guru...:D

*preen*

Thank you.

I've put a lot of time and energy into learning about gardening in general, not just peppers. I've been lucky enough to enjoy the company of a group of little old Southern Lady gardeners, the kind that can stick a piece of firewood into the ground and have it sprout leaves; and I listened to and put into practice their advice and collective wisdom. It's nice to be appreciated for doing as they did - sharing what I've learned - instead of enduring acrimonious accusations of being a know-it-all.

Thanks again.

No problem Pam. I am continually impressed by the knowledge of some of the members re peppers, BBQ, and hot sauces. I've PM'd questions to a few of those 'gurus', and they have been very helpful. Like I said, I've been inspired to expand my own hot pepper garden next year, so I hope you don't mind the odd retarded question...

As you don't like blistering hot sauce, the only other knowledge I can share in return is how to hold a hockey stick...

:mouthonfire:

Ken

Hey wordwiz, container plants on average produce about half of what a plant in the ground will. I was skeptical of that until I tested it. Half may even be generous. Something to think about!

If you bring a plant inside and want it to produce, it will need lots of light.

POTAWIE said:
My biggest plants are always in containers.

Really? What sized pots do you use?

There's no comparing the plants I have in the ground to the ones I have in pots; but I do have a longer season than you, and the soil down here would be warmer earlier.

Most of my plant end up in 5 gal black plastic pots(2800's) but some are biggger. Even my tomatoes in tall pots did much better than in my garden.

POTAWIE said:
Most of my plant end up in 5 gal black plastic pots(2800's) but some are biggger. Even my tomatoes in tall pots did much better than in my garden.

It's probably already in here but What the hell are you feeding those things...I mean potting mix-wise?

Usually I use pro-mix with some mushroom compost or manure mixed in and sometimes I'll use time release 14-14-14

Back