• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Blinky

Hello everyone!
I have been returning to this site a couple of times now and found a lot of very useful information! So i decided to post about my own grow. This is the first real (and rather small) pepper grow that i attempted, other than messing around with store bought plants. I am about 4 weeks into my grow and about 2 1/2 weeks since the seeds sprouted.
I currently am attempting to grow 8 seeds of each:
-Bhut Jolokia
-7 Pot Chaguanas
-Fatalli
-Trinidad Congo
-and random seeds in a free pack

They are growing in Jiffy pellets (also a first time for me) with heat underneath. I am currently feeding with fish emulsion at 5-1-1 diluted first at 1/2 strength then using that diluted again into the normal water feedings. I saw this method on youtube and so far it seems to be working and they seem to be doing well. I also mist with a 1/2 teaspoon of MgSO4 in a spray bottle and have only done that once so far.
I have a 26 watt compact florescent on them about 15 hours a day.
btw how close should the light be from the seedlings?

Here is the tray.
topview.jpg

Here is a Bhut it has a bit of yellow on the tips of the first true leaves is that normal or a small sign of a deficiency?
yellowbhuttip.jpg

Here are a couple of 7 Pots and they all have yellow true leaves forming, These seems to be more of a deficiency because its more pronounced than the bhut. but if anyone has any advice with these i would greatly appreciate it.
yellow7pot.jpg

yellow7pot2.jpg

Also most of the seedlings I have are showing purple in the stems, and I have read that it could be normal and it could not be. Is this a bit too purple or would it be okay? This one is a random seed and seems to be one of the bigger seedlings.

purplestem.jpg

Okay I also have a question on when to transplant the seedlings? These are the roots from two seedlings would they be ready to transplant or should i let them sit a bit longer?

root2.jpg
root1.jpg

I can't wait to be burning my mouth with these in the near future. I also would hope to get better acquainted with more of the members and the site soon. Good luck with the grow season!

(note: the sticks in the jiffy pellets are color coded to signify which seedling is which in case anyone was wondering what those were)

Your seedlings look great - the new growth is often lighter green
than mature growth. Don't worry too much yet. Just make sure
they are not over watered or over fertilized. The roots look very
healthy. What you are doing sounds good.

Your seedlings look great - the new growth is often lighter green
than mature growth. Don't worry too much yet. Just make sure
they are not over watered or over fertilized. The roots look very
healthy. What you are doing sounds good.

Thank you Paul! I agree, given a couple of days the new leaf growth is getting a darker green so good call on that. I have been trying to give them a couple of days between watering now so they can dry out a bit. The fertilizer amounts seem to be okay so far and but i will definitely keep an eye on it as more waterings may equal more fertilizer build up.

With my first seedlings in jiffy pellets, I transplanted to pots when the roots on mine looked similar to yours. They since have started to take off with noticeable growth each day. But that is just how i went about it.

With my first seedlings in jiffy pellets, I transplanted to pots when the roots on mine looked similar to yours. They since have started to take off with noticeable growth each day. But that is just how i went about it.

Thanks for the reply Hooda. I read that it might be beneficial to take off the little mesh net thing around the jiffy pellets, did you take yours off or did you leave them on? I was messing around taking a couple of them off and all it did was rip off all the roots that grew out of them so i donno yet which is better, maybe ill do half and half?

I left mine on because I notice when I started to tear them off, the roots were tearing, like you said, so I didn't want to damage what roots they had so I left them on. I was a bit concerned with how the roots would do with them still on but now that they are in pots I can see root growth down to the drainage holes. So they seem to be fine growing through the netting.

I left mine on because I notice when I started to tear them off, the roots were tearing, like you said, so I didn't want to damage what roots they had so I left them on. I was a bit concerned with how the roots would do with them still on but now that they are in pots I can see root growth down to the drainage holes. So they seem to be fine growing through the netting.

Okay glad to hear that the netting wont be to much of a problem in the near future. Thank you for your reply and much appreciated advice. I ended up leaving some netting off and some on to see if there would be a difference in the grow paterns. So i will try to give them the same watering and such.

Hey, Blinky! Be sure to keep posted on your netting experiment! Great idea.

Your plants are looking good. got any update pictures? what can i say. i'm shutterbug. :D

Hey Kant, yeah i have been meaning to update but just been busy with school and work so i haven't gotten a chance till now :)

Nice looking seedlings. Jiffy pellets look like they are working good for you. Keep the updates coming!

Hey LanMan, thanks for the support. Ive always thought of Jiffy pellets as a bad thing but the plants seem to be doing very and i think they might this definitely wont be the last time I'm using them, they make things so much easier.

Hey, Blinky! Be sure to keep posted on your netting experiment! Great idea.

Hey Paul! how are you doing? Yeah i kinda had a bit of an issue with the experiment, some of the plants didn't make it when i transplanted and started hardening them off outside and wont be 50/50 of each but i will continue with the ones i have left ... guess i shouldn't trust the weatherman so much lol.

Here is an update ***drum roll***

these are the ones hardening off outside, unfortunately they spent to long in the sun when the weather man said it was gonna be cloudy all day so some were lost but most seem to be making a good recovery.

SDC15296.jpg

here is a closer look at some damage.

SDC15298.jpg

here are some plants i still have inside under compact fluorescent lights, i kept the larger healthier loooking plants of each: 1 bhut, 1 7 pot, 1 fatalli, and 1 pair of trinidad congos that were put into a bigger pot just in case i messed something up hardening outside which did happen lol. and popped open some orange habs and chile de arbol that were in pods i saved from last years harvest.

SDC15301.jpg

here is a closer pic. the 7 pot lower left, bhut upper left, fatalli upper right, and smaller little pair is the Trinidad Congo that had some kind of issues and lost some leaves that set it back but seems to be getting back on its feet. all in all they seem to be doing a lot better inside so i will keep these inside as long as possible. Just misted with diluted Epsom solution because i think they seem to be a little to bumpy on the leaves.

SDC15305.jpg

a big thank you to everyone for your help and support!

Good stuff, Blinky! You seem to be rollin' right along!
The 'outside' plants will bounce right back, bet. Maybe
not the one in the back, but the rest look just fine.

Hey! Another local!!! Your little ones will bounce back under the lights. Looking good so far! Only thing I will add is to be careful trying to take such good care of them. Looks like you may be overwatering a little.

Shane

Good stuff, Blinky! You seem to be rollin' right along!
The 'outside' plants will bounce right back, bet. Maybe
not the one in the back, but the rest look just fine.

Hey Paul, how are you doing? Yeah they seem to be getting new growth now. But can't wait till our storm to be over so i can place them outside again, and hopefully get new growth.

Hey! Another local!!! Your little ones will bounce back under the lights. Looking good so far! Only thing I will add is to be careful trying to take such good care of them. Looks like you may be overwatering a little.

Shane

Hey STC, Hows it going with the 'cold' up in poway? Thanks for recommending that I might be over watering, I'll cut back on it and see if it helps.

Yea great start to your grow! hope it keeps up! yea watch your watering but with your location you could have them 100% under the sun in no time!

Back